Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2006, 04:07 PM

Default Re: Worst loss in the history of sports?

I liked the part where they mentioned his rather straight-forward pass-defense strategy of practically blitzing the QB on every play.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's some girls high-school hoops coach in Mass I believe who does something similar.

Wins games by scores of 117-9 or whatever.

Saw something about in on ESPN (maybe Outside The Lines??) or somewhere a couple yrs ago and he's understandably hated for really killing the spirit of high-school athletics as well as that of his opponents.

Obviously after a whole game of not being able to beat the full-court press some of the poor girls on the other team just give up and get out of the way and let them score.
And they are incredibly humiliated as well of course.

Personally, if I were the coach of the losing team I would consider telling my girls to undercut the other team's best player every time she jumps.

[/ QUOTE ]

fyp
Old 11-27-2006, 06:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love how he tried blaming it on his players. What a douchebag.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-27-2006, 06:29 PM

Yeah, I would think about doing that too.
Although you have to consider which of your girls might get suspended for future games.

We actually had a semi-similar situation with my rec-league soccer last week (know it sounds lame, but it actually is pretty intense stuff and reminds me of high-school league competitiveness).

a team WAY better than us is running up the score and keeping up the intensity with their top scorers up front all game which is really unusual and unnecessary.
Celebrating unusually loudly with each meaningless goal.

Then they slammed my goalie HARD with 10 minutes left in an 8-2 game after he already had the ball.

I'm actually regretting NOT going after that guy and trying to take him out because I was close enough to the play where I should have done something.

And I'm thinking some nice undercuts similar to what we are envisioning against this girls basketball team might be in line for this guy next year.

Of course, I'm 5-6 and he's about 6-3 so he'll probably just swat me away like a bug.
Old 11-27-2006, 06:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That is what UGUETH

[/ QUOTE ]

rofl

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank god someone noticed it
Old 11-27-2006, 07:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I would think about doing that too.
Although you have to consider which of your girls might get suspended for future games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Naw, thinking about that makes it too mean/bush league. Just play your normal rotation but let it be known that if anyone sees an opportunity to create an awkward landing they should attempt to make that happen. That's why bad sports keep getting away with it, because normal people start thinking about how they don't want to get anyone suspended and other concerns like that.

[ QUOTE ]

We actually had a semi-similar situation with my rec-league soccer last week (know it sounds lame, but it actually is pretty intense stuff and reminds me of high-school league competitiveness).

a team WAY better than us is running up the score and keeping up the intensity with their top scorers up front all game which is really unusual and unnecessary.

Then they slammed my goalie HARD with 10 minutes left in an 8-2 game after he already had the ball.

I'm actually regretting NOT going after that guy and trying to take him out because I was close enough to the play where I should have done something.

And I'm thinking some nice undercuts similar to what we are envisioning against this girls basketball team might be in line for this guy next year.

Of course, I'm 5-6 and he's about 6-3 so he'll probably just swat me away like a bug.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a self-annointed expert in this stuff, I'm leaning towards the rule being that you can't do anything dirty after the game ends. Once they win you get a free pass to run up the score on them in the future but you can't get physical. But you totally should've started a brawl during the game in question, either with a rough slide or a simple punch to the face after the goalie incident.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Baylor-UNLV football game in 1999

[/ QUOTE ]

Asked why they tried scoring instead of kneeling, Baylor coach said "To instill character."

He was fired that season.

BTW, I bought the DVD of that Plano/John Tyler HS game. It includes interviews with players and coaches. Well worth the $20, or whatever it was. It's so epic. I just wept, watching the 4½-minute youtube highlight package.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

At that level I think the appropiate thing to do is leave. If they want to run around for another 10 minutes and kick the ball into the open net some let them.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:23 PM

It wasn't QUITE bad enough to go to such measures. Maybe was starting to get a little closer to that line, but still not quite there.

The ref was aware of what was happening too (hard not to be).
He eventually asked me where we stood and he could stop the game if I thought there were going to be further problems beyond just the typical chatter that was already taking place.

I declined and said that we were just out to have fun and we'll play it out.

That was before they clobbered my goalie though (who also happens to be my girlfriend's younger brother so I really SHOULD have been protecting him more).

After one of the goals, one of my guys was ticked enough by their poor sportsmanship that on kick-off he just tapped it right back to them and pretty much said 'here'.
So on that one play we actually did kind of do as Randy suggested (although I didn't want him to do that and he later apologized for letting them get to him).

As for flyWF's idea that once the game ends, it's over. He's probably right. But in hockey and baseball it's not unusual to 'remember' the previous encounter and 'send a message' or something like that.

Regardless, after playing them twice already I'm confident they will be inappropriate enough again for us to get to legitimately retaliate.
So before the game we may very well ditch the 'classier group' attitude and I might encourage my team to really go after some of their goons.

FWIW, they are definitely better than us but not THAT much better.
we were short-handed and missing our best players so with a full squad such a blow-out score in a rematch is not a guarantee.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ask Warren Moon about the worst lost in sports...

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP