Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > High Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2006, 08:52 AM

Default Re: High stakes players

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not that good...fairly obvious...and not very helpful. Are you telling me this DOESN'T happen in the NL 100 games??? I should start playing those...

I don't know if the author is looking for a how-to on being a high limit player, but that is impossible. PLAY TIGHT. PLAY AGGRESSIVE. These are guidelines to follow, but will not get you very far. Poker is situational. How tight? Against who? He reaised from where? What has he been showing down? Why did he show that down? What is his mood? How has he been running? He does he perceive me? The only answer to this question is a group of ideas, not a list of do's and don'ts.

The best at the high limits have learned through hard work and experience, and/or have innate abilities that translate well to the game of poker. It's not about being tricky, or making reads; every poker player should be tricky, and make reads. It's about making the right play at the right time aginst the right player for the RIGHT REASONS, and that only comes from instinct and/or experience. While there are certainly traits that make a good poker player, I think that the frustration of the OP is based upon his feelings that he can't get over the hump. This takes time and effort. I think that the best high limit players do not necessarily know many more "tricks" or "secrets", but just simply rarely make mistakes due to their ability to correctly apply and use the information that is given. This is not always the case for lower limit winners.

I'm not sure what percentage of players that are very successful are extremely intelligent, I suspect it is high; I also suspect that their are many outliers in the sample and that while it helps, it is not necessary. It is about poker smarts. They are learned, taught, and earned. It's all about understanding what's happening at the table in every given hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice post.

[/ QUOTE ]

i swear i posted before reading this! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-26-2006, 09:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Not that good...fairly obvious...and not very helpful. Are you telling me this DOESN'T happen in the NL 100 games??? I should start playing those...

I don't know if the author is looking for a how-to on being a high limit player, but that is impossible. PLAY TIGHT. PLAY AGGRESSIVE. These are guidelines to follow, but will not get you very far. Poker is situational. How tight? Against who? He reaised from where? What has he been showing down? Why did he show that down? What is his mood? How has he been running? He does he perceive me? The only answer to this question is a group of ideas, not a list of do's and don'ts.

The best at the high limits have learned through hard work and experience, and/or have innate abilities that translate well to the game of poker. It's not about being tricky, or making reads; every poker player should be tricky, and make reads. It's about making the right play at the right time aginst the right player for the RIGHT REASONS, and that only comes from instinct and/or experience. While there are certainly traits that make a good poker player, I think that the frustration of the OP is based upon his feelings that he can't get over the hump. This takes time and effort. I think that the best high limit players do not necessarily know many more "tricks" or "secrets", but just simply rarely make mistakes due to their ability to correctly apply and use the information that is given. This is not always the case for lower limit winners.

I'm not sure what percentage of players that are very successful are extremely intelligent, I suspect it is high; I also suspect that their are many outliers in the sample and that while it helps, it is not necessary. It is about poker smarts. They are learned, taught, and earned. It's all about understanding what's happening at the table in every given hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice post.

[/ QUOTE ]

true
Old 11-28-2006, 07:59 PM

I don't think there will ever be a list of qualities one needs to become a successful high stakes player. Some of you guys say IQ is critical but compare david sklansky to doyle brunson. Brunson has won much more playing POKER. I think poker is kind of like investing in stocks. There are different styles and philosophies and none of them are wrong, you can stil come out a winner playing totally different from other people. Like warren buffet's value investing vs. someone like maybe Jim cramer's style.

no I don't play high stakes just felt like chiming in.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:19 AM

It may be that the element of 'quick thinking' that David Sklansky said is extremely helpful to becoming a successful poker player goes up in value in the higher stakes. He wrote that he did not possess that facility himself but compensated by preparation away from the table--thinking about the game--so as to be ready when situations occur. Note that quick thinking ability is not the same thing as a high I.Q., something we should all be certain David Sklansky has.
Old 12-08-2006, 05:25 PM

i would say that of the people on this board who play in higher stakes games most are probably of higher level intelligence. just look at the colleges many of the college aged kids are attending, ex strassa-duke, there are tons of other who go to MIT, harvard, yale, etc. being very intelligent is not something that all poker players have but is a quality that many DO have.

even the people who dropped out of college top lay poker are probably of relatively high intelligence. it is a generalization but is probably true for a majority of successful high stakes players.