Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2006, 11:50 PM

Default Re: What is AC?

You are basically asking me " what if someone refuses to pay for a service on AC" that has nothing to do with the freerider problem.
If someone refuses to pay for a service then we have two possible scenarios.
the victim goes to a reputable arbitrator, once he sentences that the guy has to pay for the firemen,if the guy still refuses to pay the firemen
a)A security company will take the money using force
b)His reputation will be damaged.

Case A is for bigger frauds, sometimes the firemen wont even bother going to a justice system and they will simply tell everyone what you did.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:53 PM

I understand the legal remedies, that makes a lot of sense, it's what we do now. But option b... I can't imagine that someone in AC land will be compelled to pay for all the various private services because he's concerned about the possibility of his reputation being damaged. Is that really a deterrent? If I run a shop, I'll still let the free-rider buy my goods, even if he's branded as that low life who scammed the firemen.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:55 PM

Would you pay a dollar for a forest? I would.
It would be cool, an entire forest for me. Supply and demand will put up the price of a forest.

Ive said that the ocean should be privatized, well guess what propertarian. The ocean is owned nowadays!! By the goverment!!
The air we breathed is not owned by the goverment.
What Im saying is that things that are owned by the goverment should be privatized.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:56 PM

This situation has everything to do with the free rider problem. If the person doesn't have insurance, doesn't want insurance, and never even calls the fire company to ask them to put it out, they will still have to do it in order to avoid having the whole block start on fire.

Unless in AC land private companies can force individuals to pay for something they did not ask for, this is a classic free-rider problem.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This situation has everything to do with the free rider problem. If the person doesn't have insurance, doesn't want insurance, and never even calls the fire company to ask them to put it out, they will still have to do it in order to avoid having the whole block start on fire.

Unless in AC land private companies can force individuals to pay for something they did not ask for, this is a classic free-rider problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying that you will sit by grinning while your neighbor's house burns down propertarian?
Old 11-11-2006, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would be cool, an entire forest for me. Supply and demand will put up the price of a forest.

[/ QUOTE ] Ok, if I paid a dollar for something, why would I pay thousands upon thousands (on longer fires in larger areas it would get into the millions) of dollars to ensure that thing doesn't burn down? It may only be worth a buck to me, that's what it sold for.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Ive said that the ocean should be privatized, well guess what propertarian. The ocean is owned nowadays!! By the goverment!!
The air we breathed is not owned by the goverment.
What Im saying is that things that are owned by the goverment should be privatized.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I accept that the forest is owned by a person, how do you compel him to buy insurance against his forest? Without guaranteed payment, what compels the MANY fire companies needed to put out this raging fire to do so, when they cannot be certain they will be able to collect? Any individual fire station has incentive to ignore this and let the others do the job, so how does the fire even get put out? When it gets so big that even their own property is threatened?
Old 11-12-2006, 12:01 AM

Look Im just predicting what will happen I dont have an asnwer for every AC scenario.
Maybe its better for a fire company to use scenario A because in the long run theyre better off. Because if they simply dont do anyhting each time they dont get paid they will lose a lot of money.

Propertarian about vaccines, are you suggesting that nobody will pay for a
Old 11-12-2006, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you saying that you will sit by grinning while your neighbor's house burns down propertarian?

[/ QUOTE ] No, and this is irrelevant.

The point was to respond to V's post about it not being a free rider problem because a contract exists and hence litigation can occur; I debunked it by showing that even if their is no sign at all of a contract between the person whose house is on fire and the fire company, the fire company MUST still put out the fire, despite the fact that the person did not buy the service, ask for it, etc.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Ok, if I paid a dollar for something, why would I pay thousands upon thousands (on longer fires in larger areas it would get into the millions) of dollars to ensure that thing doesn't burn down? It may only be worth a buck to me, that's what it sold for.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im refuting the part where you said " why would someone buy a forest"
If your forest is on fire and you refuse to do anything about it, well then gl on the court system after you get sued for damaging other properties.