Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2006, 11:35 PM

Default Re: paging Lee Jones

Bump.

AND WE ARE STILL WAITING FOR A POKERSTARS REPRESENTATIVE TO COMMENT!
Old 11-11-2006, 11:37 PM

Bump.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:31 AM

I wouldn't say they are friends; as they live in different parts of the world. They just became business partners to help each other take more money from others. Think about that for people thinking it is ok to do this.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bump.

AND WE ARE STILL WAITING FOR A POKERSTARS REPRESENTATIVE TO COMMENT!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've already quoted response from their reps. Basically they say softplaying is legal on their site and that no one else was involved in the pot so they were not harming anyone.
Old 11-12-2006, 01:58 AM

That is a standard private email to shut an irritating customer. Let's get them here and state the same where everybody can read it and will be able to respond.

Or we could start a new thread with a much more eye-catching title....
Old 11-12-2006, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That is a standard private email to shut an irritating customer. Let's get them here and state the same where everybody can read it and will be able to respond.

Or we could start a new thread with a much more eye-catching title....

[/ QUOTE ]
I recommand "NEW SHANA HIATT PHOTOS+ more" and include some hawtt pics
Old 11-13-2006, 05:02 AM

Default Re: paging Lee Jones - softplaying

Hi folks -

Yes, our rules currently permit softplaying when only two players are left in the pot. As others have said, this is policy is consistent with that of every B&M poker room I'm aware of, and honestly, that of every online site I know.

I'm sure you've all seen it before: two players find themselves heads-up in a pot, and (for whatever reason, maybe one of them is eating) one says, "Check it down?" The other says, "Sure" and so they do. They never planned for this to happen and just did it spontaneously. I think we can agree that nobody is harmed here. [1]

There is also the problem of enforcement. Obviously, we can't put ourselves in a position of telling people how to play their hand. If you have AA, and the flop comes T-6-4 rainbow, you probably have the best hand. But if you and your opponent are both deep and a lot of money goes in, well, those aces are no good. We are not going to tell players "If you have an overpair to the flop and there is no straight or flush possible, you must bet at least 2/3 of the pot."

So that's the context of the problem. With that said, we do understand that a standing softplay agreement among two or more players puts those outside the agreement at a disadvantage. We are having internal discussions about what we can do to address the issue, while ensuring that our rules are fair, enforceable, and sensitive to the spirit of the game.

We thank you for your patience and understanding while we work this out.

Best regards,
Lee Jones

PokerStars Poker Room Manager

[1] Of course, we are talking about a cash game. In a tournament, this violates half a dozen rules.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So that's the context of the problem. With that said, we do understand that a standing softplay agreement among two or more players puts those outside the agreement at a disadvantage. We are having internal discussions about what we can do to address the issue, while ensuring that our rules are fair, enforceable, and sensitive to the spirit of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well. It's at least a step in the right direction that you are aware of the problem. I can see what you mean about enforcable rules.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:20 AM

Hi Lee,
Thanks for responding as always. You're awesome for that.

You're way off here, though. Obviously you can detect softplaying because you've detected it and responded to it in MTTs before.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're way off here, though. Obviously you can detect softplaying because you've detected it and responded to it in MTTs before.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are definitely some similarities, but there are important differences, too. [1]

1. Cash games, particularly among a relatively small pool of players who play against each other all the time, are much more about the meta-game than a single hand. What might be reliably identified as soft-play in a tournament may just be one step in a complex dance done between two regular opponents. As I said, we are not going to get in the way of good poker.

2. Stack:blind ratios are much greater in cash games than they are in typical tournaments, particularly when it really matters in the tournament. M's [2] are often 100+ - unheard of in the tournament world, and completely out of the question in a S&G. Higher stack:blind ratios mean people play more carefully. I described that in my original post.

3. Tournament players often out themselves in chat. When they say "I will fold to a raise," it helps us figure out who's softplaying. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

As I said, we are working on a solution, but it's not as simple as "Do what we do in the MTT world".

Best regards,
Lee Jones

PokerStars Poker Room Manager

[1] "Do you see why?" [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[2] If you want to use that phrase in a cash game context