Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2006, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Best of the Best Cheap/Pricey Beer

I find it funny here that everyone likes PBR, when I honestly can't drink it. I would rather not drink than drink one they are so bad.

We keep cheap beer in the kegerator at our house normally being Natural Light or Keystone Light.

I keep nice beer in my own fridge and personally I am a big fan of alot of the nicer beers. I took a liking to the Harpoon Summer Beer and many of the Sam Adams varieties are also great. I think anyone who wants to get to know more beers should just buy a different 6 pack everytime they go. I did that all summer and tasted some awesome beers.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Good beer (national): Victory Hop Devil IPA

[/ QUOTE ]
I'd love to try some of this, but less than 20 states hardly equates to "national" distribution.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised to see two people name Victory's Hope Devil (more of a red ale than an IPA, btw). If you're in a part of the country than can get Victory's beer, then you can probably find Ithaca's Cascazilla. It's a similar variety of beer, but the hop flavor is much, much better in Ithaca's offering.
Old 11-10-2006, 01:55 PM

Also, LOL @ anyone who's spending, like, $6 for a sixer and calling it expensive. You guys need to get out to better beer stores and actually try out some good stuff. If you haven't tried any beers from Dogfish Head, Alesmith, Great Divide, Ommegang, North Coast, or Three Floyds, you're missing out on some of the finest beer in the world.

And for you guys who are looking for a cheap way to get drunk, you might surprise yourself. Take Ommegang's Hennepin. It's a Belgian style of beer, but really, it's not too far removed from the likes of Yuengling, Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or even Bud. It's just made better and tastes better. Depending on how good prices are around you, you should be able to find this beer for $6-$8 for a four pack if you're fortunate enough to have it distributed to your area. That's pretty expensive, but it weighs in at a hefty 7.7% ABV, about double that of most cheap plonk beer. Twelve of these will get you and your buddy just as hammered as a full case of Yuengling for a comparable price, and, like, I'd actually savor every gulp.

And FWIW, my favorite "cheap" beer is Brooklyn Brown, and my favorite expensive beers are Unibroue's La Fin Du Monde (Quebec, $10/4 pack, 9% ABV), and Dogfish Head's World Wide Stout (Deleware, $10/bottle, 18% ABV).
Old 11-10-2006, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone in PA can attest to lions head being hands down the best cheap beer - 12 bucks for a 24 of bottles, and it tastes better than coors/BL/natty

[/ QUOTE ]

12$? You are getting ripped off. I can find them for 10 and sometimes 9. Always bottles, always delicious.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:25 PM

you guys realise that stella was originally marketed as a lower end beer, but it didnt sell. So they came out with good commercials, upped the price, and sales took off.

Guiness, Tuborg, Boddigntons, Kilkenny, Heineken from the corner store for me. We get these beers everywhere so its just easier, even though they arent special.