Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2006, 09:48 PM

Default Re: Do Christians, Muslims and Jews all believe in the same god?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Some people think God wants them to kill others (i.e. Muslims, Crusading Christians). Some people think that God would not want that. These cannot be the same God.

[/ QUOTE ]

Muslims don't think God wants them to kill others. Likewise the crusades had little to do with religion.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean "No True Muslim" right?

[/ QUOTE ]

No I mean that you can't use the blanket term "Muslims" to describe a select few insane people. You could say, "Jihadist Muslims" or something to that effect. I just found it amusing that he said, "Muslims, crusading Christians" instead of "Muslims, Christians" or "fundamentalist Muslims and Christians".
Old 10-13-2006, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Some people think God wants them to kill others (i.e. Muslims, Crusading Christians). Some people think that God would not want that. These cannot be the same God.

[/ QUOTE ]

Muslims don't think God wants them to kill others. Likewise the crusades had little to do with religion.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean "No True Muslim" right?

[/ QUOTE ]

No I mean that you can't use the blanket term "Muslims" to describe a select few insane people. You could say, "Jihadist Muslims" or something to that effect. I just found it amusing that he said, "Muslims, crusading Christians" instead of "Muslims, Christians" or "fundamentalist Muslims and Christians".

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how you can say this. Muslims who don't want to kill infidels are bad Muslims. They are religiously required to beg Allah's forgiveness for not doing so.

On the other hand, Christians who kill in the name of their faith are bad Christians, and the condemnation is on them, not Christianity.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't see how you can say this. Muslims who don't want to kill infidels are bad Muslims. They are religiously required to beg Allah's forgiveness for not doing so.

On the other hand, Christians who kill in the name of their faith are bad Christians, and the condemnation is on them, not Christianity.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just flat wrong. I would like to know where you're getting your information.

Almost every Muslim scholar in the world has condemned all this violence against innocent bystanders.

That statement was really incredibly ignorant.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just flat wrong. I would like to know where you're getting your information.

Almost every Muslim scholar in the world has condemned all this violence against innocent bystanders.

That statement was really incredibly ignorant.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it's not. It's in the Koran. (or Q'uran) Those Muslim scholars are just bad Muslims. Plus extremists will make claims like that for political opportunism. Just like all the Muslim threats of violence against the Pope, Christians, etc. for Pope Benedict quoting someone that accused them of violence.

I don't want to fight this battle, but I'm tired of hearing crap like "Islam is a peaceful religion." -Pres. Bush. Maybe if we keep repeating it then it will become true? No. Mohammedism is the religion of the sword. Perhaps it is only the "extremist" Muslims who are doing the killing, and they represent the outliers, but I think that most Muslims who are not doing the killing applaud it.

We westerners find it unbelievable that this could be the case, thinking that if we were just nice to them they will not hurt us. This is stupid. That's why I imagine that if I had grown up a Muslim in Iraq, I would be fighting the American troops, harbingers of such a silly, naive culture.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:24 PM

I reiterate: I don't want to fight this battle. I don't want to keep making the distinction between Islam in its beliefs and practices, its fundementalists and more modern adherents. It's not worth it, it is bound to sow enmity and misunderstanding, and I love my Muslim brothers. Sorry if someone wanted a crack at me.
Old 10-13-2006, 06:29 PM

I'm not going to fight you on this, but take 5 minutes and check your facts.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:06 PM

I am no biblical scholar, but I am a Christian and have been since I was a teenager. The way I understand it, we share the same history up through Abraham's sons and from there each go there own way.

The story goes something like:
(Genesis 17-21) Abraham wanted a son but he was entering the later stages in life and Sarah's time for having a child had passed. Sarah convince Abraham to sleep with her attendent so he could have a child. Out of this came the child Ishmael.

Later, (it's believed that Sarah was in her 90's; the story says Abraham was 100), Abraham and Sarah concieve a child named Isaac. Sarah became jealous of Ishmael being Abraham's first born son and worried that he would be given favor over Abraham's house over her own son so she had Abraham cast Ishmael out of the land, along with his mother, into the desert.

We are told that King David (Israel) decended from Isaac (the pure son of Abraham) while the prophet Mohammed is from the House of Ishmael (the bastard son).

Sermon over.

dandy
Old 10-13-2006, 10:14 PM

Wry moment, but I realize if Creation is the true tale some purport it to be...

Then we're pretty inbred by now and always have been. Although that could be construted as a plausible explanation for the current state of humanity...

Is there a Biblical counter of this phenomenon, without retreating behind an "allegorical" argument? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-13-2006, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think Jews believe in the exact same God as Christians do or they'd acknowledge Christ's divine nature and would be Christians.

[/ QUOTE ]

We both believe the God of Abraham, Moses and David is God; Christians just take it a step further. As a Christian, we believe in the Trinty--one God in three (the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit).

dandy
Old 10-13-2006, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We both believe the God of Abraham, Moses and David is God; Christians just take it a step further. As a Christian, we believe in the Trinty--one God in three (the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit).

[/ QUOTE ]

And muslims take it one step further again by saying that after all there is only one god, the christians got it wrong when they attributed divinity to christ. Like mohammed he was just a prophet, and profoundly misunderstood at that.

Muslims got back to the great advancement that was judaism, namely monotheism.