Default Re: ****Official Tigers versus Oakland Thread*****

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
WAHOOOOO!

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-10-2006, 11:05 PM

Doesn't look like Rickey got a good seat.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:33 PM

Location: /goggles fill up with tears / oh crap hold on can\'t see anything

manager of the year, my ass. leyland is now stuck with (essentially) a backup middle infielder playing first base, and is using his best relievers to "protect" a 5-run lead.

i don't see macha rushing to put duke and street in the game because it's "only" 4 runs apart, nor do i see him placing three backup middle infielders on his roster. and dan johnson can't hit as well as shelton, or play defense as well.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
manager of the year, my ass. leyland is now stuck with (essentially) a backup middle infielder playing first base, and is using his best relievers to "protect" a 5-run lead.

i don't see macha rushing to put duke and street in the game because it's "only" 4 runs apart, nor do i see him placing three backup middle infielders on his roster. and dan johnson can't hit as well as shelton, or play defense as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

what are you talking about?

This is the time to use Zumaya, Rodney, and Jones.

Leyland doesn't want gas can Grilli going in there and blowing the lead.

He wants to shut this down and get game 1.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Tiger's win, so I guess his managing is ok.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what are you talking about?

This is the time to use Zumaya, Rodney, and Jones.

Leyland doesn't want gas can Grilli going in there and blowing the lead.

He wants to shut this down and get game 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'll buy rodney, to an extent. oakland still had some hope of coming back at that point.

to use zumaya with a five run lead is a horrible allocation of resources. a team will come back to win from five runs down in two innings 1.6% of the time. if you let grilli in there, maybe he increases that figure to 2.5%, or even 3%. this is not a big deal. besides, if he lets two guys on base, you can bring in zumaya at that point.

jones was brought in when the a's win probability was 1.4%. again, this is not a big enough deal to matter.

even if there's a small chance that fatigue from that inning prevents zumaya from pitching in a game where he adds 5% or 10% to the tigers' chances of winning, you still lose.

to paraphrase bill james, handing these situations to your "best" relievers (i use the quotes for todd jones who is clearly not among the best tiger relievers) is like using your top executive to buy fire insurance. fire insurance is important, but your top executive has better things to do and you can get someone else to do the job nearly as well.

to be fair, this is not nearly as stupid as using zumaya to protect a six-run lead in the eighth inning last week.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
jones was brought in when the a's win probability was 1.4%. again, this is not a big enough deal to matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you get it - Leyland knows that Todd Jones is terrible. That's why he pitched.

As for Zumaya, that's unacceptable.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you get it - Leyland knows that Todd Jones is terrible. That's why he pitched.

[/ QUOTE ]

if only. he also brought in jones to protect a one run ninth inning lead against the yankees.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if only. he also brought in jones to protect a one run ninth inning lead against the yankees.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm trying to give Leyland the benefit of the doubt here, because it's pretty absurd to think that Todd Jones is even the third best reliever in that bullpen. I think he just runs Jones out there to get saves at all times because the public and his owner wants that, but he really knows that Todd Jones is garbage.

As for Zumaya always pitching, Leyland has historically been pretty loose with his young kids' arms.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As for Zumaya always pitching, Leyland has historically been pretty loose with his young kids' arms.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have no problem with overexerting zumaya in the right situation, since it's the playoffs and you don't get many shots. this isn't it. if they need him to go three innings in a one-run or tie game, fine. just make sure he's available to do that because you didn't use him up in 6-run and 5-run games.

i thought he was used well in game 2 of the ALDS, for example, although he could have been used to finish the game if not for the one-inning save situation.