Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2006, 02:42 AM

Default Re: Take the hangover like a man or start drinking to avoid it

[ QUOTE ]

Hangovers are almost entirely a result of being dehydrated. Diaretics dry your body out. I don't see how this is such a mysterious thing.

Sure, the caffeine might give you a little extra perkiness. There are better ways to get caffeine, though, if that's what you're after.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong.

Hangovers are partially due to dehydration (caused by the diaretic nature of alcohol), but primarily due to the effects of poisoning yourself all night.

Drinking lots of water helps mostly because it allows your body to more effectively process and flush the alcohol. Soda's dehydrating effects are minimal, and more than made up for (as a hangover cure) by its carbonation (for upset stomachs), its caffeine (for headaches and alertness and helpful effects on blood cleansing), and its sugar (body needs energy to fight poison).

There's better ways to get caffeine, sure, (healthy hangover cure = Excedrin, O.J/Gatorade, good meal, and a nap) but soda is not the horrible idea you make it out to be.

Of course, drinking alcohol is more effective in terms of fighting the hangover RIGHT NOW, but probably a bad long term habit.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:47 AM

I used to have some buddies that took Xanax. Not a pretty site. Of course, they were the type to take it then get f'ed up.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Hangovers are partially due to dehydration (caused by the diaretic nature of alcohol), but primarily due to the effects of poisoning yourself all night.

Drinking lots of water helps mostly because it allows your body to more effectively process and flush the alcohol. Soda's dehydrating effects are minimal, and more than made up for (as a hangover cure) by its carbonation (for upset stomachs), its caffeine (for headaches and alertness and helpful effects on blood cleansing), and its sugar (body needs energy to fight poison).

There's better ways to get caffeine, sure, (healthy hangover cure = Excedrin, O.J/Gatorade, good meal, and a nap) but soda is not the horrible idea you make it out to be.

Of course, drinking alcohol is more effective in terms of fighting the hangover RIGHT NOW, but probably a bad long term habit.

[/ QUOTE ]

The water, Gatorade (electrolyte replacement) and Excedrin combo is best, unless you happen to have Lorcets lying around. The fluid replacement from the drinks offsets the diuretic effect of the caffeine in the Excedrin, which is one of the reasons why Excedrin pwns plain aspirin.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I used to have some buddies that took Xanax. Not a pretty site. Of course, they were the type to take it then get f'ed up.

[/ QUOTE ]

They were probably the type who would take anything just to get f'ed up. Moderation is a thing of beauty. True story, a guy I know OD'ed on Xanax/alcohol, and my buddy heard him snoring. Turns out he choked on his own tongue...

Xanax, its family of drugs, and all others can be quite addictive if not controlled. See one of the 12 concurrent coke threads running in OOT at any given moment.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:12 AM

I agree but alcohol in the moderate proportions is fine as well.
Old 09-11-2006, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a shame that you can get obliterated at any bar in America but not have a couple of xanax and experience the same effects without the much severe side effects that alcoholics suffer from.

[/ QUOTE ]
The social acceptability of drinking is definitely a tangible effect/benefi of alcohol that you don't get with xanax. I can't go out to do xanax with my friends in a public setting, for example.