Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2006, 03:11 AM

Default Re: 20/180- 89s- I\'ve raised PF- and have an 8hi flop...now what? LAG?

Thank you Nath, I just read my last post and laughed. And it ws like ten seconds ago. And I'm takng two minutes to write this too.

Within the next 12 months I will be one of those guys who people hang all over their balls waiting for a reply. Seriously, I know it. I'm getting close guys, hopefully I don't get banned before I get the super-smarts.

AND NO CAPS ON THIS THREAD EITHER.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

With the action, I think you have to push.

[/ QUOTE ]

nath,

This thread, specifically that reply, is why I love your LAG posts and think you should never stop posting them for any reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not really sure what you mean by this. I suspect your motives are sinister.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nath,

This thread, specifically that reply, is why I love your LAG posts and think you should never stop posting them for any reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not really sure what you mean by this. I suspect your motives are sinister.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha

btw im very much in the "dont raise this flop" camp.

folding/pushing to his 3bet -- it likely doesnt really matter, there wont be that big of a difference in the EV. i dunno, i havent played MTTs in a while, but i think id probably just push, because whatever, gambooool, get a big stack, win money. but i wouldnt be here because i wouldnt raise the flop.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:44 AM

Default Re: 20/180- 89s- I\'ve raised PF- and have an 8hi flop...now what? LAG???

What is one of the big advantages to raising with suited connectors? Deception. People think you have high cards or a pp. This works in your favor on a high flop. A lot of continuation bets represent AK. It also works in your favor when you make a draw or big hand that people don't put you on.

Here it works against you. Villain assumes you have overcards or an overpair and can't have hit the flop hard. I would just check/call this all the way, even risking getting drawn out on. Partly because you can't represent anything and partly because you have a medium strength hand.

As played, a push represents an over pair or maybe a set. Villain may fold top pair with a higher kicker. I agree with other posters that pushing, raising, calling, all folding have similar EV at this point.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

nath,

all,

You have TPNK to a guy that's put half his stack in the pot. Generally, when you start out with a 51 BB stack, and then decide to bet 30 of it on one hand in after a guy puts half his stack in the pot, you should probably try to do it with hands slightly better than TPNK, whether you label yourself "LAG", "TAG" or "wow".

all,

To slightly simplify things, "I have 98s, the flop is 873 and I need to put in the fourth bet, I AM ALL IN NOW BABY" is why "lol donkaments" is so freaking hilarious

[/ QUOTE ]

All good points and true. I shouldn't really post when pissed out of my tree, after watching England attempt to play football, following a huge row with my wife.

On sober reflection. The flop raise sucks. Once reraised, it's clear that villain either has a monster, or thinks that we don't. His range is substantially weighted towards having a monster.

We assign a range. Pretty much everything in that range is ahead of our holding, especially as he's generally three-betting draws all in.

The money in the pot does not really justify moving in here, though I suspect that if we stove the ranges, this is very marginally +EV.

By the phrase, 'given the action I think we have to push here', I mean given the odds we are being laid, the fact that villain may, occasionally, be bluffing or assume that we are, the backdoor flush etc. etc. means that our choices are fold or push, and pushing is marginally +EV. However, I'm bad at maths anyway, worse drunk, and I'm certainly not going to even bother hungover.

Callling strikes me as a very bad idea. He's going to the felt and, while we may not be committed to the hand now, we surely are on the turn.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:25 AM

Thanks for all the posts....

It seems as though everyone is in 'agreeance'- that my reraise on the flop was really bad, and given the action, I've committed myself and my opponent, so I should either push or push the turn.

What I should've done is call the flop and then evaluate the turn.

Suited connectors should not be played for TP.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:48 PM

haha that reply is awesome

guys...when thinking about hands...it's good to use common sense. Do you like 98 on an 873 flop all in for 30 BB? No? Then try not to make sure you feel like you have to put in 30 BB.