Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2006, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Do you Gambool?

[ QUOTE ]

On another note, I did a couple of Poker Stoves on this and KTs has about a 11-12% equity PF vs. 6 other likely hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Feel like running 89s and 54s against those same ranges?
Old 08-21-2006, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It takes me about 4 hands, which I win 2 of for me to stack the 2+ racks worth of chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly my point.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

On another note, I did a couple of Poker Stoves on this and KTs has about a 11-12% equity PF vs. 6 other likely hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did. 98s is about the same as KTs. What's interesting is that assuming the other folks have high cards AK, JJ, perhaps the limper has QJ, ect. 54s has almost the same equity as AK and JJ, due to the interference factor between the big card hands. Remember, these are hot and cold simulations and 54s won't often make it to the turn and river to "get there" in a real poker game.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I did. 98s is about the same as KTs. What's interesting is that assuming the other folks have high cards AK, JJ, perhaps the limper has QJ, ect. 54s has almost the same equity as AK and JJ, due to the interference factor between the big card hands. Remember, these are hot and cold simulations and 54s won't often make it to the turn and river to "get there" in a real poker game.

[/ QUOTE ]

not only that but sitting there tossing in 12 red chips preflop only to see a flush draw and 6 way action, and then realizing you have to put in a whole lot more with a 5 high FD isnt too comforting.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you, sir.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:14 PM

Location: Who wrote \'help I\'m a bug\' on my letter to grandma?

bugstud,

i think KJs is on the fence and is game situation dependent. How good am I playing/running is probably the biggest factor followed closely by how much spewing is likely ot happen postflop and how easy I will find it to get away from a good but not best hand. It is a slippery slope but what isn't in poker?
Old 08-21-2006, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Too easy to make a second best hand that will be expensive against these guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah. but isnt Barry good enough to get away from a K?

[/ QUOTE ]

the pot is gonna be so bloated that very often he'll have the correct odds to get to the river even when he knows he is second best.

[/ QUOTE ]

even when he knows he is second best?

do you like money?

i thought so...

[/ QUOTE ]

yes i like money. do you even understand my post?

i thought so...
Old 08-21-2006, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you, sir.

[/ QUOTE ]

good.. so i think we all have learned our lesson..

GAMBOOL!
Old 08-22-2006, 01:30 AM

I'm confused, I thought the lesson was don't gamble when Barry came back and said he likely had 11-12% equity in a 7-way pot. At least not as a standard play. There hasn't been any discussions yet about metagame considerations so I thought that's what we were talking about.

FWIW, I gamble it up in situations like this a lot more than most other solid players. I love showing down what looks like garbage in situations where my actual EV was not that bad, sometimes even on the + side. I get all giddy when one of the regulars at my B&M looks at me disgustedly and says "Keep playing like that and I'm going to bust you." for making plays that he doesn't understand. Even though it's occasionally not worth the cost for the great image I'm inevitably setting up, it's about the only thing that breaks the grind and makes poker fun for me, which I'm happy to pay a [small] price for. So to answer OP's original question, yes, sometimes I gamble here. If the question had been asked "Is this specific call +EV?" the answer is clearly no.
Old 08-22-2006, 06:44 AM

Playing in this game is just like playing limit omaha hi, you try not to order food just to gouge out your eyes with knife while playing your one hand per hour and hoping to end up on the good side of variance for however many sad and gloomy hours you put into the game. These games look great but they're not really best and KTs is an automuck.

-Michael