Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2006, 02:09 AM

Default Re: Live versions that own the studio version

[ QUOTE ]
Back Door Man (The Doors Version)

[/ QUOTE ]
The Doors don't even do the best version of that song (not that it invalidates it here).
Old 09-12-2006, 02:59 AM

Fear of the Dark - Iron Maiden
Old 09-12-2006, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Layla - Eric Claptop, unplugged.

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL, wtf? Unplugged version is awful and even if you thought it was good, it would take an actual removal of your testicles for any reasonable person to think it is better than the original. Jesus Christ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, what a dick. Although it appears I'm alone on this, at least everyone else was able to be civil. I also preferred old love on the unplugged disk as well.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:10 AM

pink floyd anything and everything. Im not talking about live albums; pulse, pompey, etc.. im talking bootlegs of echoes, SOYCD etc..

LZ has some sick versions of a whole lotta love, moby dick, dazed, etc..

eagles- hotel cali jazz version. (although studio solo pawns)

chili peppers- thats more of a visual thing. audiowise it sucks.

metallica + SF symphony was different. not better. Although they do have some sweet live versions like "last caress/ green hill" and "bell tolls" (live in mexico I think)

kiss - fake live album is okey.

the whooooo - woodstock (i think) substitute + a quick one while he's away = amazing
Old 09-12-2006, 09:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cheap Trick "I wan't you. to wan't me." The studio version sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, the version i know i always assumed was studio w/ the audience cheers dubbed in. the music is so good and the crowd is on so much on cue it sounds almost contrived. i just wikied it and learned something today. so ill second your vote.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh, after reading more songs today i have to say peter frampton is an excellent choice. as is rolling stone "midnight rambler".

there have been some excellent songs mentioned in this thread...and others that are absolutely awful.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The entire Grateful Dead playlist.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

[/ QUOTE ]

or any great jam band, really

I saw Milli Vanilla when I was in middle school and they're live stuff was surprisingly similar to their CD
Old 09-12-2006, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw Milli Vanilla when I was in middle school and they're live stuff was surprisingly similar to their CD

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

The thing with the Dead is that their songs really aren't designed to be 5 minute radio-friendly pieces. Obviously 99% of their tunes sound way better live (I agree with the poster above re: Friend of the Devil studio version), but I think the case could be made that their live tunes aren't even the same song as the studio versions. Phish is another excellent example of this - especially when they stretch a normally short tune (i.e. Tweezer) into a 40-minute epic live.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

The thing with the Dead is that their songs really aren't designed to be 5 minute radio-friendly pieces. Obviously 99% of their tunes sound way better live (I agree with the poster above re: Friend of the Devil studio version), but I think the case could be made that their live tunes aren't even the same song as the studio versions. Phish is another excellent example of this - especially when they stretch a normally short tune (i.e. Tweezer) into a 40-minute epic live.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's actually a debate between me and some fellow heads regarding Jam band studio albulms, if in fact the studio version are the way the band "wants you to hear them" and there for should be considered the best rendition of the song.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Layla - Eric Claptop, unplugged.

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL, wtf? Unplugged version is awful and even if you thought it was good, it would take an actual removal of your testicles for any reasonable person to think it is better than the original. Jesus Christ.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, what a dick. Although it appears I'm alone on this, at least everyone else was able to be civil. I also preferred old love on the unplugged disk as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are not alone, I agree with you that the acoustic version is much better and that quoted noob is a dick. This one is a matter of taste. I for one like the slower, more soulful feel of the acoustic. I also prefer the sound of mother nature to that of machines (acoustic over electric).

Back to the OP's question; Dave Matthews Band is a great example. They are a jam band and just can't capture their sound very well in the studio. I am a huge DMB fan and I don't listen to their studio stuff ever. That's how much better the live stuff is.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's actually a debate between me and some fellow heads regarding Jam band studio albulms, if in fact the studio version are the way the band "wants you to hear them" and there for should be considered the best rendition of the song.

[/ QUOTE ]

and then there groups like Radiohead, who go on tour to play their new songs before they release the studio albums. they do this to get a better feel for the songs, see how they work live, etc.