Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2006, 07:04 PM

Default Re: Most Disappointing Wrestling Matches

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jack Bando, why did you think Goldberg-Nash killed Goldberg forever? I mean, eventually he had to lose, and I think that him losing by a taser didn't diminish anything about him being invincible. If he had won it back after a few months from Nash, I think he would've been just as popular...but yeah, it was silly to do that with Hogan.

[/ QUOTE ]

It did severe damage to him though at minimum. Afterwards in WCW, he won the US title for a day, won the heavyweight title for a day (match considered unsactioned), and won the Tag Titles for a week.

His run in WWE was half decent. Go unefeated for half the year, lose to HHH. Win the WHC title, hold it for two months.

The thing is, he doesn't have a great moveset, so he needs to use style and charisma over substance. If you're booked as a wrecking machine, and then you get beat up twice in a month, what's left?

[/ QUOTE ]

I never really understood why he took so much grief for his moveset. He was no Hart or HHH, but he was no worse of a technical wrestler than Hogan, Warrior, or Rock.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's not really about being technically proficient, or Chris Benoit would be king of the universe. Rock looked good in the ring, and sold his opponent's offense as well as anyone in history. Watch Rock take a stunner, it looks like he was hit with a 12-guage. Hogan knows how to tell a story in the ring, and brings a lot of emotion to his best matches. Warrior, ok he sucked. But Goldie never had any ability to do anything in the ring other than spear jackhammer spit roar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough - I guess I have just always hated the Rock for some reason. If I remember correctly the spinebuster was about his only non-finishing move. I don't think anybody touches Flair in the "selling offense" department, but maybe he was great at it and I just don't remember.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
WCW's first apperance on WWE after the takeover. I don't remember who the wrestlers were, I know it was Booker T vs someone else. Maybe DDP. The two looked clumsy in the ring and the crowd wasn't happy. Maybe they weren't used to the WWE's larger ring.

[/ QUOTE ]
Strictly from memory I think that Buff Bagwell was involved in this match which would explain it sucking.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. You are right.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:16 PM

Another disappointment for me Was the way WCW misused SID. He was actually staring to generate some heat and they never seemed to get him into gear.

Also the Hogan V. Goldberg match on Nitro sucked, they should have either put him over or squased him. HAving Hogan be distracted... then speared really did not do much for either wrestler.

As for Goldberg, I think building any wrestler up on a platform of invinceability is really shortsighted. As it makes for predictable plotlines... and after they are not invinceable anymore... where do they go from there.

I mean look at Ric Flair... how many times was he not only beaten, but in some cases outright humiliated. Never seemed to hurt his long term marketability.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:22 PM

For a match to be "disappointing" to me, it first has to have some glimmer of being a great match to begin with. The Goldberg-Lesnar match was ugly, but it was entertaining to watch from fan participation standpoint, since both workers (if I remember correctly) were leaving the WWE right after the match and the fans were clearly aware of it.

Another match that the fans crapped all over recently was the Big Show - Batista match from ECW TV a couple of weeks ago. The NY fans made it very clear that they were not interested in seeing two "WWE" workers fill the main event of the ECW show for the ECW title. The match was slow and lumbering, with neither worker seemingly going above and beyond to satisfy live fans. The fans in the audience, however, more than made up for the poor wrestling with their witty chants, such as "Change The Channel."

Les
Old 08-13-2006, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Another match that the fans crapped all over recently was the Big Show - Batista match from ECW TV a couple of weeks ago. The NY fans made it very clear that they were not interested in seeing two "WWE" workers fill the main event of the ECW show for the ECW title. The match was slow and lumbering, with neither worker seemingly going above and beyond to satisfy live fans. The fans in the audience, however, more than made up for the poor wrestling with their witty chants, such as "Change The Channel."

Les

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that a Batista vs Big Show match wasnt great for the ball room fans. Batista normally gets over with all of the fans but I can understand why he did with that group of fans. I mean hell, they want Sabu and RVD ect not someone that is the mark for WWE.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:38 PM

all of them?
Old 08-13-2006, 08:04 PM

ban voltron.