Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2006, 07:58 AM

Default Re: What can a ISP do to stop you from playing online poker (long)

What's the chance that anyone in Congress has put as much thought as we have here already as to the technical feasibility of blocking access to gambling sites?
Old 07-14-2006, 08:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What's the chance that anyone in Congress has put as much thought as we have here already as to the technical feasibility of blocking access to gambling sites?

[/ QUOTE ]

slim to none.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:16 AM

I can't read this whole thread right now, I'm too tired

Basically, the point is moot. If the government tries to restrict our access to a foreign server, they will lose in court. Think of one place you can't touch on the internet, oh wait, you can't? Thank you first amendment.

Now if we ignore that, it isn't hard for Party Poker to repackage their client so it has creates a VPN or SSH tunnel to say Canada before going to their servers. Sure, they US could ban these addresses, but that would take weeks, and it would take them days to move the server addresses. And if you use a standard tunnel, an IPS cannot really block it. First an IPS cannot decrypt it due to technical issues, and even if they could it wouldn't be legal. Maybe I'm uninformed, I haven't worked in the field but I do have a degree in it.

I for one am not worried about this part of the issue. I'm way more worried about the stupid bill passing in the first place. We basically are screwed on that one too. I know I can't convince my senator to vote differently, he is worried about gambling addiction. But not taxing the poor with lotteries or ponies, those are fine.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Now if we ignore that, it isn't hard for Party Poker to repackage their client so it has creates a VPN or SSH tunnel to say Canada before going to their servers. Sure, they US could ban these addresses, but that would take weeks, and it would take them days to move the server addresses. And if you use a standard tunnel, an IPS cannot really block it. First an IPS cannot decrypt it due to technical issues, and even if they could it wouldn't be legal. Maybe I'm uninformed, I haven't worked in the field but I do have a degree in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Legal issues are not a concern with the decryption, NSA does it on a continuous basis. Cost is, NSA spent many billions do get that capability.

But decryption isn't even relevant because no commercially available IPS can even come close to keeping up with the level of unencrypted traffic seen on ISP backbones. Packet inspection on a US backbone is within the capabilities of only the NSA and they are not getting involved here.

J
Old 07-14-2006, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the whole point. Blocking access to a website that offers real and fake money play deprives those who legally desire to play with fake money their right to do so without due process.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just where in the US Constitution does it state that you have a right to play play money poker online? I see this silly arguemrnt so much it makes me want to puke!!
Old 07-14-2006, 12:22 PM

Default The REAL question

If this law is passed as currently written, could all of this be done to get around the law in a way that would make it simple enough for the thousands of people who play now to continue?
Or is it more likely the vast majority of people would not be able to keep up with how to get around it or be scared off and the ISP's decide its not in their interest to give the government the finger?
Old 07-14-2006, 06:47 PM

Default Re: The REAL question

I think this is the key issue. The answer is: I'm not sure.

Frankly, I was thinking of using an encrypted proxy server anyway lately, what with all the wiretapping crap that's come down. I don't mind paying a few dollars a month for it either. I'm currently trying to find a good one that is non-U.S. I'll report when I find one. Anyway, if LOTS of people could be convinced to use this, the ISP's couldn't block them, they would be too widespread.

we'll see.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:54 AM

I'm concerned about this but not enough to lose sleep over. It's as simple as this: Techonlogy moves incredibly faster than the laws can keep up with.

Worst case scenario: It does pass and access to poker sites is blocked. I would only be upset about there being less players to get money from. I have been tunneling through a proxy to player poker for months now. I'll always be able to play. If everything does go to hell hopefully it'll be like prohibition and everything will be ok again in a year or two. I'll just wait it out.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would only be upset about there being less players to get money from.

[/ QUOTE ]

And besides that, how did you enjoy the play, Mrs. Lincoln?
Old 07-16-2006, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just where in the US Constitution does it state that you have a right to play play money poker online?

[/ QUOTE ]

The 10th Amendment:

[ QUOTE ]
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically, you're thinking about our Constitution in the wrong way. In a simplistic sense, it's not, "The Constitution doesn't say it's OK so it's not"; it's, "The Constitution doesn't say it's not OK, so it is."