Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2006, 08:50 PM

Default Re: Robert Kiyosaki

[ QUOTE ]

most people dont...

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't agree with that. I think Kiyosaki somehow made you believe that you learned something when in fact you didn't.

I don't believe that you didn't know that almost all cars lose value over time, for example. You claim you did not know this? You had never looked in an auto trader?

I also don't believe that you never knew that a business could make tax deductions for business expenses. You claim you did not know this?

eastbay
Old 07-21-2006, 11:42 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 07-21-2006, 11:48 PM

Old 07-22-2006, 12:05 AM

So you're not disputing that the RDPD book is mostly fluff and cliches designed to lure people into going to expensive lectures and buying expensive packages and boardgames?

Again, you said that the books shows people

[ QUOTE ]
How to generate passive income through real estate...

Tons of other money saving, income producing tips and ideas.

[/ QUOTE ]

then I said:

[ QUOTE ]
...like what?

[/ QUOTE ]

you said

[ QUOTE ]
if you read the book you'd know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, if they exist, please list them. Are they top secret or something?

also: Do you not care at all that his "rich dad" character and apparently most of his personal history is fiction? The only thing worse than anecdotal evidence is made up anecdotal evidence.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:12 AM

Old 07-22-2006, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But if you are just gonna tell me this stuff is all common sense, I disagree with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will say this about the book: It was better than that "Who Moved My Cheese" book/franchise. Fortheloveofgod.

eastbay
Old 07-22-2006, 12:53 AM

Right, he covers very specific things, like "the stock market", "finance", and "real estate."

bwhahwhahahahaa
Old 07-22-2006, 06:25 AM

I liked the book, too.

No, it isn't specific and doesn't provide people with no imagination, creativity or drive with the instructions on how to be rich. (Those specific instructions can't be found anywhere)

But for some people, it offers a bit of a wake up call and motivation to get started on ones path to financial freedom.

I've been a lazy bastard most of my life.

Creativity wasn't the problem. I started have my own little small businesses and projects from an early age, and did ok, but never fully grasped the big picture.

I was able to "make a living" at it, but didn't "think big".

The simple concept of "setting goals" (which any motivational/inspirational book always preaches) hadn't really occured to me.

My goals were vague and non-specific. And a lot of the time I was too lazy to even get around to working towards that vague and non-specific future.

This is hard to explain to someone who intuitively have thought this way most/all their lives.

For me, and many others - setting goals, including financial ones, and working towards them just wasn't something that came natural to me.

When I was 25, after being a lazy bastard all my life, I finally "woke up", and started taking charge of my life and directions, setting goals and decided plain and simple that I'm going to financially free.

During my "wake up" period, I read a few motivational books, and Robert Kiyosaki had written one of them.

In a motivational way it worked very well for me (including some other books, like the E-Myth Revisited, which is much more specific btw (on small business done the "B"-quadrant way, as Kiyosaki would say)

I didn't really look for specific instructions on how to become rich - but the book made me get a clearer picture of what to aim for financially, and when building a business.

It took me only a year from "wake up time" (when I was working a job with 0 in savings) until I was my own boss and didn't need to work for anyone else again. (yet [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

The quadrant stuff is, imho, a good way of seperating types of income.

I make good money playing poker, but it's much clearer to me now than it used to be, how little value this type of income has compared to passive income.

Since my "wake up" I'm finally "accumulating wealth" and "building passive income" instead of just wasting whatever money I had on stuff I didn't need.

I'm not saying Robert Kiyosaki did all that for me, because his book was probably just a small piece of the puzzle for me.

The book isn't for everyone.

I agree that it's a little basic and cheesy sometimes, and in general I'm not a big fan of infomercial-people and "gurus".

BUT for anyone truly interested in building their own businesses and investments and not "working for the man" (I know a lot of people "working for the man" who would laugh at this book) - and who isn't already there, I can't see how checking out his book is a bad thing.

Playing poker professionally isn't "financial freedom".

It's work.

Thinking ahead, spending less than you're making, and building passive income so that at one point one doesn't really have to do anything for money - is a much more desirable route (for me, at least) - then being able to make, say $150 an hour playing poker, today...

Oh well [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2006, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that's unadulterated [censored], and it's nearing a precipice of evil, where the worth of another is measured solely in terms of how they can enrich you materially. Beware.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wow, eastbay. This is great. You and I don't always agree 100% about things, but we're totally on the same page here.
Old 07-25-2006, 05:00 PM

Oddly enough, I think Kiyosaki's newest article on Yahoo is very good.

http://finance.yahoo.com/columnist/a...ichricher/7810

Maybe he read this thread and got scared.

Edit: I should probably add that I think he's way too late to the party for someone who's writing articles for a finance site, but at leat the idea and reasoning/explanation are good.