Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2006, 05:52 PM

Default Re: What does your football team need to do to improve this offseason?

[ QUOTE ]
And Sherman really screwed things up IMO when he had the GM role.

[/ QUOTE ]

No kidding. I suppose that's where ALL the problems the team currently face began.
Old 01-18-2006, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The New York Football Giants

[ QUOTE ]

Get a secondary that doesn't include Sammy Davis.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Giants have gotten a head start on this by releasing their D-backs coach. Their secondary is the weakest part of the team. I'd like to see them trade / dump / draft to help this out the most.

#2 - Send Coughlin to "Belichick / Parcells Play Calling and Halftime Adjustments" school. Yes, I know the G-men have turned it around on his watch, and I'm grateful. But most of my Giants fan friends aren't convinced. Reminds me of Schottenheimer. This is probably his greatest weakness. Either go to school or get Hufnagel to call the plays.

#3 - keep Tim Lewis.

#4 - maybe shore up the O line some.

ScottieK

[/ QUOTE ]

Good analysis. I would add to this get a little help up the middle of the defense to help stop the run.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

For the Steelers:

Bettis will probably retire. Let Staley go. I'm not sure how much Staley has left and he is taking up too much salary. Parker/Haynes can get the job done but draft a couple young running backs late to compete. Get a stud cornerback. Continue to add depth to the offensive/defensive lines.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the Steelers should not draft a CB. I think Ike and McFadden are coming along and will be good enough. We have Colclough for the nickel. If we are going to go after someone who would be an upgrade to any of those players, we probably won't find it in the draft with our position. Unless someone who they really like falls down to us in the first round, I think we would be better off looking for a veteran.

The biggest need right now is finding a replacement for Oelhoffen who is still very good, but is going to be 36 next season. It will most likely be someone who played DT in college since your average 260 pound college DE is just too small to work in the Steelers system. They could get along with Kiesel or Kirschke starting but my guess is they would be below average that their position.

A short yardage back would be nice, but since that's all he would be used for I agree that we should not waste a high pick there either. One more guard wouldn't hurt either, I think Kemoeatu was a steal in the 4th and will be a solid starter soeday, but we only have 3 guards.

They also need to consider whether Okobi is the long term answer at Center. The becomes as big of a need as the right end if the answer is no (since Harting will be 35 next season).

Really, the Steelers are solid enough across the board, that they will have a hard time upgrading any of their starters in the draft, and they are pretty deep and young at most positions. It would be nice to draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th round to be third string for now and be the career backup when Batch retires.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Chargers:

Heal Drew Brees

Get a secondary who doesn't get burned every game

Teach Marty not to play Martyball

Trade Rivers for some high draft picks (of course, assuming Brees heals)

Sign veteran backup QB to replace Rivers.

One more stud lineman on both sides of the ball always helps too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take two stud O lineman instead. Our DL is fine.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The New York Football Giants

[ QUOTE ]

Get a secondary that doesn't include Sammy Davis.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Giants have gotten a head start on this by releasing their D-backs coach. Their secondary is the weakest part of the team. I'd like to see them trade / dump / draft to help this out the most.

#2 - Send Coughlin to "Belichick / Parcells Play Calling and Halftime Adjustments" school. Yes, I know the G-men have turned it around on his watch, and I'm grateful. But most of my Giants fan friends aren't convinced. Reminds me of Schottenheimer. This is probably his greatest weakness. Either go to school or get Hufnagel to call the plays.

#3 - keep Tim Lewis.

#4 - maybe shore up the O line some.

ScottieK

[/ QUOTE ]

Good analysis. I would add to this get a little help up the middle of the defense to help stop the run.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the Giants will be fine up the middle. Joseph and Clancy will be better next year, and each will be comparable to your average starting 4-3 defensive tackle. If Pierce is healthy they are not an easy team to run against.

Not a huge Giants fan, but IMO, they need depth at receiver, help in the secondary, and an upgrade to their offensive line.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If the CBA is NOT extended then from what I can gather they lose just a little bit this year but then will be free and clear in future years...

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know this. I wonder if there is an article around that explains the Skins cap situation next year....

But anyway...you are right about Brunell. I think his gas tank was completly empty at the end of the year. I wouldn't be surprised to see Campbell starting at some point September.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm as hard on Brunell as anybody, but the fact of the matter is, he played well all year until he sprained his MCL in the Giants game. From that point on it was all downhill, as he's too old for his body to heal quickly. The Skins won't release Brunell. They'll trade Ramsey, and get a midround pick, from what I hear. It better be at least a 4, and I would love it if they could get a 3 for him.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
List of goals for the Redskins this offseason...

1. Bring in a #2 WR that can move the chains on 3rd downs. There are several available but I would like to see the Skins target the following 4: Joe Jurevicius, David Givens, Keenan McCardell, and Jabar Gaffney. Briniging in one of those WRs would certainly help the offense become more efficient and less dependent on Moss.

2. Bring in a DE that can rush the passer. I'd like to see them sign a guy like Kalimba Edwards in free agency or use their first pick (2nd Round) on a DE like Elvis Dumervil or Darryl Tapp.

3. Add some depth to the OL. One injury killed this team's OL. They can't let that happen again next year.

4. Dump Brunell and let Campbell and Ramsey go battle royale for the starting QB job. I refuse to watch any game in which Brunell is the starter. I stopped watching the 2nd half of the Seattle game as soon as I saw his old decrepid ass trotting out to lead the offense. At that point it was done, no way was Brunell gonna lead that offense to 2 TDs, just wasn't possible...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll build on your list.

The Redskins need to build depth on their Oline, and it needs to be veteran help. Ray Brown is retiring (finally) and Raymer better be gone after the debacle in the game last Saturday.

I agree with you about getting a DE early in the draft, since that appears to be one of the deeper positions this year. I would also like to see them bring in a veteran DE and veteran DT, to build some depth on the Dline.

If they don't resign Ryan Clark, then they'll need a SS.

I would like to see them rework LA's deal, which according to the sources I've seen, would save them cap space this year, and that would eliminate the need to get another OLB.

They obviously need a solid, veteran #2 WR, who can punish teams that double cover Moss. This is probably their single biggest weakness, at the moment. I like your list, but part of me really wants them to get TO. I know this will probably never happen, but if they did sign TO and shored up the depth on their Oline, their offense would be pretty much unstoppable.

I think they also need to bring in another CB who can play the nickel, as Walt Harris appears to be close to done.

The Skins will trade Ramsey, so they're going to need to pick up a decent veteran QB, as well.

Finally, won't the Skins get a 3rd or 4th round compensatory pick for Fred Smoot?
Old 01-18-2006, 07:20 PM

As a UCLA and Chi Bears fan, this is why I want Marcedes Lewis to slip far enough down the draft to be picked up by them. Last I checked he was somewhere around 19th on a mock draft, but i'm assuming his value has gone down with all these stellar juniors declaring recently.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:41 PM

Execute Tom Benson
Old 01-18-2006, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the Packers:

Draft: A.J. Hawk, Owen Daniels, Eric Henderson, Brodie Coyle and some late round guards and a running back.

Get the coaching staff in place and the system worked put in place.

Figure out our QB situation. If Favre is coming back send Rodgers to NFL Europe where he can actually play. If Favre is retiring, open up the starting job to Rodgers and Nall and decide soon into training camp so they can work with the recievers.

Try to trade Bubba Franks for anything.

Maybe look at another punter although I hate the idea that we'd already be giving up on the bum that we traded up to get when we didn't need to.

Pray that our new defensive coordinator is half as good as Bates. Then kick ourselves for not hiring Bates for head coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple points. First Bubba just signed a rather large extension so he isn't going anywhere. Also, Nall is done as a Packer so he certainly won't be in the mix if Favre retires. Ted Thompson has also said there is no way they send Rodgers to Europe, so that won't happen if Favre does come back.

The Packers have around 20 million in cap room if Favre stays, 30 million if he retires. They have some UFA to decide on in Kampman, Green, Davenport, and Longwell. I'd imagine they resign Kampy and Longwell to decent deals and give Ahman a one year deal with a lot of incentives. Poopy Davenport is gone.

From there it comes down to drafting well and maybe signing a couple of free agents with all the money we will have. If Ahman can come back strong, Walker can come back strong, and they can patch up the interior OL then the offense could actually be pretty explosive again. On D, they really need to draft a stud at #5 in Hawk or Williams and add players at basically all positions. They could have 4 or 5 new defensive starters next year. They obviously also need to bring in a solid DC.