Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2006, 08:32 PM

Default Re: C/T post: Tips for multitabling

Your AMD athlon is actually fine (1800 MHz or 1800+...I'm on a 2100+) but upgrading is always fun. you just need more ram, and a solid video card would be good. You don't need a 7800 or anything, just one a little better than integrated would be very good.

I caution buying from dell because it sucks when you really do want to expand... if you can custom make or have someone make one for you, it'll be more expensive, but completely customizable... (and louder).

If you are a noob with computers, dell is where I would go though. First thing I would do is wipe everything though, but then again, if you're a noob, you prob don't wanna do that.

Did I just use the word noob?
Old 06-17-2006, 04:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Your AMD athlon is actually fine (1800 MHz or 1800+...I'm on a 2100+) but upgrading is always fun. you just need more ram, and a solid video card would be good. You don't need a 7800 or anything, just one a little better than integrated would be very good.

I caution buying from dell because it sucks when you really do want to expand... if you can custom make or have someone make one for you, it'll be more expensive, but completely customizable... (and louder).

If you are a noob with computers, dell is where I would go though. First thing I would do is wipe everything though, but then again, if you're a noob, you prob don't wanna do that.

Did I just use the word noob?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the great reply.

I am a noob in that I have never had any PC training and basically know how to switch the damn thing on! So Dell it is!

Don't tell my wife that the Athlon is fine as I have only just pursuaded her that we do need a new one! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-21-2006, 04:46 PM

I cant beliebe I missed this, good stuff and thanks Jam for including it in the digest. Just going to giveit a little bump for others that may have missed it.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:02 PM

Music--- explosions in the sky, cursive, radiohead, and anything else that is post-rock, that is mostly instrumental.

I would add self-help mp3's as well-- dyer, robbins.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Music--- explosions in the sky, cursive, radiohead, and anything else that is post-rock, that is mostly instrumental.

[/ QUOTE ]

YOU ARE MY OFFICIAL FAVORITE POSTER EVER

edit: YOU FORGOT MOGWAI MORAN
Old 01-03-2007, 06:00 AM

bump for another question:

my work area is in an L shape with the longer part being where my arm rests and where my mouse is...therefore to type in a bet amount i have to lean forward to the keyboard....should i invest in a NUMPAD? is it as simple as it looks (USB port, and use as NUM pad!)
Old 01-03-2007, 06:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

my work area is in an L shape with the longer part being where my arm rests and where my mouse is...therefore to type in a bet amount i have to lean forward to the keyboard....should i invest in a NUMPAD? is it as simple as it looks (USB port, and use as NUM pad!)

[/ QUOTE ]

get a betsizing program, like the one off overcards.com. Seriously its soo good. You just right click to get the bet amount in the ballpark, then adjust with ur wheel, no keyboard needed
Old 01-03-2007, 06:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

get a betsizing program, like the one off overcards.com. Seriously its soo good. You just right click to get the bet amount in the ballpark, then adjust with ur wheel, no keyboard needed

[/ QUOTE ]

will check it out
Old 03-02-2007, 01:16 PM

Good stuff! I'm really still searching, but i just feel like throwing in my 2 chips:

- I agree with the thumb-trackball. I play a few instruments, and i've seen people give up on their instrument because some s[censored]y job required them to ruin their right arm on a bad mouse, it's heartbreaking, it's not worth it. Mice are bad for your arm, especially when you've got a big monitor or multiple screens. A thumb-trackball (I live and die with my Logitech Marble Wheel), you can just give it a swing, let it roll and put your thumb back on it to stop it. Hell, i could write a tl;dr about my trackball alone! GET ONE (and take a minute or two to get used to it)

- This is where i'm about to get really nerdy. Recently i was once again pissed off at myself for not being a big winner and wondering what i did wrong. I figured it might be that i only really try to make good decisions when a hand looks important. Ofcourse we all know - myself included, i swear! - that every decision is important, every hand can be a huge money maker or a big disaster. And even if it doesn't, those are a whole lot of little dimes you're leaving on the table by making lots of little mistakes. Like, i see i have a bad hand, when i fold it, i notice it was a very good steal possibility. So, i tried something pretty nerdy and it seems to work: I got this tiny little notepad window on the corner of my screen and make a list of factors. I type it in each time (ritual, very important for an obsessive/compulsive guy like me ;-&gt, and it looks something like this:

- Number of players
- Position
- Hand
- Pot (/odds/implied)
- Stack Sizes
- Tracker stats

Seriously, it just sits in the corner, and i look at it all the time. Not because i forget it, but because i tend to forget to think about all of them. It's just too easy for me to fall into auto-pilot and make mediocre decisions. Most of the time, just by thinking about (as if saying out loud) these factors, i'll know for sure what the right action is. When i catch myself not thinking in this structure, i know my game is going bad because i'm too tired or something. I still have a long way to go, but this is the biggest help i had in my multitable game since a very long time.

Owh, and for all of you who think about buying a new TFT screen, poker-related or not; i just have to say i really don't understand the hype about widescreens. If you'd divide the times you use the vertical scrollbar of any program (like the browser you're reading this forum with), by the times you use the horizontal scrollbar (let me guess, right now it's not even there)... do you really think that the world is waiting for wider screens?!

Lastly: Betsizing programs... work with Everest? (-:
Old 03-02-2007, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

More Computer - While we outlined what to set up in terms of the physical area, lets talk about the computer itself.
• Software- The first thing I do when Im getting ready to play is open up the required software
o Pokertracker- Get the auto import for your site rocking.
o PokerAce HUD- MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THIS. With multitabling it helps a lot more than you think. Open it up.
o iTunes (or other media player)- Make yourself a playlist, so you aren’t messing around with it during the games. Pick music that wont distract you, and will help you concentrate. Classical works, as does showtunes, or other weird music.
• Also too, close the following software
o AIM- Distraction city
o IE- 2p2 is fun, but not while playing
• As a general PSA, also make sure of the following
o Your AV is working and updated, and run regularly
o You have a copy of Microsoft defender, Spybot, Ad- aware, and crap cleaner. Run them about once a week. Being hijacked will dent your BR worse than you can imagine.
• Table Selection- If your site allows datamining, DATAMINE!. Open up the max tables, and then after about 10 mins, see which look the juiciest. I always look for the ones with the highest VPIP and lowest PFR, or if there appears to be a megafish. Sit or get on the list

[/ QUOTE ]

i lol'd