Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2006, 03:09 PM

Default Re: Raptor had a 1200 break even run. LC.

Anyone notice:
1) How much more freqent these type of threads have become since the Party format change?
2) The exodus of tons of respected SNGers to NL cash over the same time period?

Is it time to adjust our expectations as to what is possible in terms of ROI at each level, or just a coinicidence?
Old 05-22-2006, 03:11 PM

I believe max possible ROI has dropped a bit. However by finally biting the bullet and being willing to play continously, while at the same time having the overall playing time per sit and go drop, this may actually increase my hourly rate [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

btw playing in sets is really really stupid, I can't believe I played like that for so long. When I play continously I'm almost never paying attention to results or even knowing how well I'm doing.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the closest thing to going on tilt in a SNG that i can imagine is going OOTM lots of times in a row and subconciously tightening/loosening up your play. but there's no way a couple of SNG hands could possibly put a reasonable person on tilt, no matter how bad the beat is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus Christ. This thread isnt long enough to have someone miss the point of it this totaly. I am saying and have repeated several times that a player might tilt after a 1000 sngs break even. Not after a couple of hands. WTF.
Old 05-22-2006, 03:26 PM

So continous>set?
Old 05-22-2006, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow I'd kill myself if I had a 1000 SNG breakeven streak!

[/ QUOTE ]

I can play 1000 SNGs in a month easy. Are you telling me none of you guys has ever had a losing month?
Old 05-22-2006, 04:02 PM

My record for break even is ~800, for losing is ~600. Obviously, the lower your ROI is, the longer your streaks may be. Raptor's problem is that he sometimes forgets that idiots can get good hands too. Hard to outplay AA and KK in SNG's, though he'll try. Prolly why he's now doing so well in NL $$$.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:07 PM

I'm with curtains here. I tilt in ring games (by far my biggest poker leak), I tilt in multis, but I never ever tilt in SNGs; at least to the degree where I think I'd have a negative expectation in one. FWIW, I won't say it's impossible, but I've never come anywhere near a 1,000-game breakeven streak.
Old 05-22-2006, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Someone whom you say is "good" might not be "good" in my eyes. The word good is relative.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your definitions of "Tilt" may be off as well...

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is that someone who isn't good enough to understand that there are huge swings at this game, and to in turn not allow them to affect their play, is probably not a "good" player. That's just what I choose to believe based on the people that I know whom I am convinced are good players. They have had big losing streaks and they are able to look at them completely objectively with very little emotion involved. Anyone who can't do that has a problem when it comes to playing sit and gos.

If you guys want to believe that lots of great players are constantly going on tilt when they have some kind of downswing then be my guest.

[/ QUOTE ]

My tilt problem, or whatever you want to call it, isn't so much making emootionally rash plays. It's that I still don't have a lot of experience, and late game push/fold decisions are still largely instinctive for me. I mean I review my games and I'm getting closer to making the right math decision every time. But I'm still not there yet. So when I am getting pummeled by the cards - I tend to lose my bearings a bit, and flinch when it comes time to make that +.7% push or call. When I'm running good though I tend to get in the zone and make the right pushes. When I'm running really hot I think it throws me off my game as well.

Does this keep me from being a "good" player? Yes. I just wanted to clarify the exact nature of the problem when it comes to running bad, as I understand it for me anyway. It's not like I'm sitting there spite-calling with 74o or anything.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes but lots of good players admit to it, which is why I was shocked by your statement. I think it is the first I dont tilt evar statement I have read on this board.

Also, SNGs arnt all math based pushing on the bubble.

[/ QUOTE ]

SNGs are the most mechanical and math-based poker game out there. Once you reach a certain level of experience, it all makes sense. You've done it all before and there almost no new situations that occur. When you hit this level, you look at the game, and realize how simple it really is.

Go play some cash games for an extended period of time and you will know what I mean when I say "SNGs are a simple game".

-Tick
Old 05-24-2006, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wow I'd kill myself if I had a 1000 SNG breakeven streak!

[/ QUOTE ]

I can play 1000 SNGs in a month easy. Are you telling me none of you guys has ever had a losing month?

[/ QUOTE ]

this month looks like my 1st losing month since i started in 2004. i've had 1 breakeven month in 2005.

i really would like a program that analyzes my pt database for % of time i get sucked out on when i push/call a push. This month should be at 80%+ [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] (yes, you can't imagine how many 80/20's i've lost this month where i was the 80% favorite.)