Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2007, 02:04 PM

Default Re: WSOP: Incompetent Dealers Could Decide Outcome

[ QUOTE ]
I played 2 WSOP events last year and for the 34 hours of play I managed only 1 dealer was bad. At WPT Borgata half the dealers didnt seem to know the rules but as long as WSOP doesnt screw the dealers with tips you may find they are okay.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can tell you this last year every experienced dealer i spoke to said they would not come back. Now how many of them actually will not stay away . . . I don't know. But if even half of them don't come back its going to be hard to replace them with quality dealers.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
oh the horror to think that a human could be taught a small book of rules and how to perform repetitive tasks in only a couple of months. honestly i don't know if i'd prefer to have my entire dealer crew be people i just trained to do the job, or people who have "auditioned," and have ego about their performance as a dealer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I like dealers who treat their job seriously, take pride in it, and perform it with more than the bare-minimum (or less) of functionality, even adding a little flair.

To everyone who's saying, "Don't worry, the players will give the new dealers instructions as they go along:" It is indescribably better when the dealer is competent, experienced and can run the game than when the most motivated/loud players at the table are constantly offering instruction on basic things.

[/ QUOTE ]

The players' job is to play the best poker they can and try to win. The dealers' job is to deal the cards, count and distribute the pot, and keep the game moving. The whole massive undertaking works a lot better if everyone knows how to do their job, and it's really not that hard to accomplish. The question is, if Harrah's keeps cutting every possible corner on dealers, cards, chips, etc. how long will the WSOP remain the premiere poker event?
Old 05-09-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We were on the 4/8 table and one of the dealers said to a player trying to decide what to do "it's only $4". Not a "dealing" error but inappropriate.

[/ QUOTE ]Well I hope he doesn't worry about tips, since it's only a few dollars, heh.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:36 PM

Location: Downswing? No, playing bad. No, I\'m sure its just a downswing.

[ QUOTE ]
The question is, if Harrah's keeps cutting every possible corner on dealers, cards, chips, etc. how long before the WSOP becomes self-deal with the same juice?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-18-2007, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Imagine if you will being short stacked with blinds about to increas and the dealer can't spread a flop without a floormans assistance. If you play the WSOP and have a bad experience with the dealer (as many did last year) ask the tournament director to consider auditioning all the dealers. Not just the warm bodies who wander in first. <font color="red"> </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't hear any reports of dealers unable to spread flops at crucial times in this year's WSOP. Could it be time to consider the most audacious possibility of all - that perhaps the auditions were ended early because ... Harrah's had a sufficient number of qualified dealers?

Unlikely as it may be, perhaps this was actually not a nefarious plot to exclude all the competent dealers! Could it be that they wound up with just the normal bunch of average to above-average dealers, with a few outliers (better and worse) thrown in for good measure?
Old 08-20-2007, 05:12 PM

A good number of bad dealers were fired. I actually made it my business to point out dealers who had a lack of interest in running their games at a proficient level. Call me a nark, but when I'd follow a bad dealer in a cash game I had the delight of being told off by the players in the game about how Harrah's hired horrible dealers.

Unfair process, but Harrah's could care less how much we make, they just want people who aren't half retarded pitching the cards. Unhappy players or not, the WSOP will continue as is.