Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2006, 12:44 PM

Default Re: Why doesn\'t Paul Phillips play anymore?

And I thought the seaminess and sadness came through pretty well in the book! I know I moved chess players and Magic players down a notch on my list o' losers after reading it.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Phillips isn't even close to being a "big time Scrabble player", even now. His rating is barely over 1400. The best players are at least 1800, closer to 1900.

Now Jim Geary, he's a big time Scrabble player.

[/ QUOTE ]

He plays tournaments against plenty of people ranked that high, and holds his own. He usually has a losing record, but against that competition, he does quite well.

I enjoy reading his scrabble blogs. I started dabbling into the Scrabble world after reading his blogs. The game is funner than I thought, and there is more strategy to it than I'd realized before reading his blog.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I thought I was a loser for trolling around 2 + 2 while at work and bored off my azz... but I can't believe there are some of you out there who actually "keep-up" with the blog of some egotistical self-"proclaimed" millionare who probably wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire?

Every day you guys make me feel better about my life. Thanks !!!

Get a girl... or a gym pass.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:40 PM

You're cool.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're cool.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not trying to be cool... and I actually respect the intelligence it takes to play scrabble at a comptetive level (check out the documentary "word wars")...

However, you guys are like star struck teenage girls... you keep up with PP the way my sister use to idolize New Kids On the Block.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
some egotistical self-"proclaimed" millionare who probably wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I didn't know you could just proclaim yourself a millionare. Colored hair, here I come!
Old 05-12-2006, 02:50 PM

If you have a livejournal account, "keeping up" with his blog is a few orders of magnitude easier than keeping up with 2+2 forums.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
some egotistical self-"proclaimed" millionare who probably wouldn't piss on you if you were on fire?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I didn't know you could just proclaim yourself a millionare. Colored hair, here I come!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's very easy... here... watch... I'm a millionare !!!

See how it roles off the tongue.

Now, I'm sure Paul Phillips has more money than I can fathom... and I'm sure he's one of the few Techno Geeks that had a golden parachute when we left net2net2.net.net2net (whatever) when the rest of the economy suffered the brunt of the bubble...

HOWEVER... I've seen this guy get upset playin in the 60-120 mix game at the Bellagio in a way that no "millionare" ever would. I would think he could handle a $10,000 swing with a little more dignity if he was in fact a Mulit-millionare.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:05 PM

Good point. People who've made their fortunes through business and play competitive games at the highest levels in their spare time - I expect these people to enjoy losing with gentle good humor.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And I thought the seaminess and sadness came through pretty well in the book! I know I moved chess players and Magic players down a notch on my list o' losers after reading it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is there in the book, but Stefan Fatsis soft-pedals that angle, maybe because he is friendly with the subjects.

Seeing these guys talking in Word Wars puts it all in stark relief.

You want someone to say, "You're not making any money, and you're wasting your life playing this stupid freaking word game!"

Matt and Marlon both seem to be very intelligent. If they were addicted to heroin, it wouldn't be any more tragic.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:49 PM

Triumph, that's unreasonable and unrealistic. They play to sate their competitive needs, and when things go against them, the natural reaction is going to be frustration. Winning and losing translate to success and failure, and they don't get to be rich by accepting failure with gentle good humor. You're holding them to a double standard.

BB, some people enjoy watching competitive poker like they would tennis or golf. Following PP gives the reader more-direct access to the higher levels of the game. Doesn't make them tweens. Your attack seemed pretty insecure.