Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How balla are you?
My name is Bones and I have boned a stripper 8 22.86%
I am not bones, which means I'm lame 27 77.14%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-2007, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Vick indicted by the feds

the way he said it he was obviously either being stupid, or trying to start the whole "Wait...what about violence to humans?! Animals are more important than humans?!" argument. Either way, completely counterproductive in this thread.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, they really convict at 95%? Bye Vick.

[/ QUOTE ]

i've seen 95% in many places, but i also saw an article that said it was more like 99%, but i lost the link. Whatever I read said basically, 90% of people take a plea once they realize how hard they are boned, and of the 10% that go to trial 90% are found guilty. if you go to trial and are found guilty, they stick it to you for wasting the courts time when you were obv guilty.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
LOL we'll see how much the NFL's new get tough policy applies to franchise players

[/ QUOTE ]
The NFL can't reasonably do anything until this wraps up legally. On the other hand, it's going to suck having this hanging over everyone's heads for the next year.

I bet Goodell will lay the smackdown if Vick gets convicted. He doesn't want punks in the league, especially not high profile ones like Vick.

[/ QUOTE ]

It will be interesting to see what the Falcons do in the meantime. I would not be surprised to see public pressure, particularly from sponsors, mount to the point where the team has to get Vick off the field. A paid leave of absence is not out of the question, in my opinion.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:36 AM

Falcon fans say hello to your new starting QB:

Old 07-18-2007, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Falcon fans say hello to your new starting QB:

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:54 AM

i honestly don't get what the big deal is... but i don't own a pet, though i like dogs and cats and fish for that matter...

i haven't read anywhere what the possible jail time for this would be.. anybody know?
Old 07-18-2007, 10:06 AM

6 years, says the grapevine
Old 07-18-2007, 10:07 AM

Could be a really really long time. [ QUOTE ]
Conspiracy is a separate and distinct crime. Vick can still be charged with the underlying crimes. Under the federal gambling statute mentioned in the conspiracy indictment, Vick's penalty is up to 20 years.

Then there is the federal RICO law, which was devised in part to assist in the dismantling of the Mafia. The RICO law directly targets ongoing gambling operations, and the facts set forth in the indictment could easily satisfy the requirements of a RICO claim. Under Title 18, Section 1963 of the U.S. Code, the penalty is up to 20 years in jail.

And don't forget about the possibility of a state-level prosecution. Though most observers assume that Surry County prosecutor Gerald Poindexter has abandoned the investigation, the federal indictment could prompt Poindexter to explore animal cruelty charges, given the allegation that Vick participated in the killing of approximately eight dogs in April 2007. Alternatively, the Virginia Attorney General could feel compelled to act.

Under Virginia law, the intentional killing of an animal is a Class 6 felony, which carries a sentence of one to five years, per count. For killing eight dogs, that's a potential sentence of anywhere from eight to 40 years.

It could be that the feds opted to pursue conspiracy charges first because conspiracy charges were the easiest to prove to a grand jury. Next, the feds can turn to other potential charges, such as the underlying crimes mentioned in the current indictment or a RICO violation.

The bottom line, then, is that things could get worse -- much worse -- for Vick as time goes by.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-18-2007, 10:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i honestly don't get what the big deal is... but i don't own a pet, though i like dogs and cats and fish for that matter...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you're just dumb then.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i honestly don't get what the big deal is...

[/ QUOTE ]
I am so glad this is the only post of this kind I have seen so far.

Forcing animals -- mammals with advance nervous systems like ours, that feel the same sort of pain and fear we do -- to fight and often kill each other. Executing animals for not performing well or showing the potential to fight. [Jim Rome voice] Allegedly[/Jim Rome Voice] And you don't see the problem? Really?

[ QUOTE ]
though i like dogs and cats and fish for that matter...

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, nevermind. A true altruistic soul you are.