Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2007, 11:51 AM

Location: ***yankees offseason thread*** oh and Gd River Ave Blues
Default Re: Should the Pats be running up the score on everybody in garbage ti

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yes. [censored] you NFL and everyone who questioned what we've accomplished this decade. if you don't like it, then don't get blown out. it's not our responsibility to keep the games close.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats fine, but what do you do if Brady, one of the receivers or someone on the O-line gets lit up when they went for it on 4th and 2 with a double digit lead in the final minutes, ending that player's season?

[/ QUOTE ]

How else they gonna stay #1 in the AP poll and play in the BCS title game?

[/ QUOTE ]

strange, but i would actually like to have whoever finishes #1 play the patriots in a bcs bowl. i think it would be very entertaining.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
yes. [censored] you NFL and everyone who questioned what we've accomplished this decade. if you don't like it, then don't get blown out. it's not our responsibility to keep the games close.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats fine, but what do you do if Brady, one of the receivers or someone on the O-line gets lit up when they went for it on 4th and 2 with a double digit lead in the final minutes, ending that player's season?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

strange, but i would actually like to have whoever finishes #1 play the patriots in a bcs bowl. i think it would be very entertaining.

[/ QUOTE ]

What would the spread be? 50?
Old 10-18-2007, 11:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe like 42
Old 10-18-2007, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All the Pats did was break the rule

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're welcome. There is a huge difference between breaking a rule, and "cheating".

If they had been caught bugging the locker room, I'd call that cheating. But just trying to use information gleaned from obeservation of visual signals openly used in public?
Old 10-18-2007, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe like 42

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmm, what is it worth if it's college rules instead of pro rules? Another touchdown?

They're beating pro teams by like 20 a game. I'd lay 42 in a heartbeat.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
did we REALLY get an edge? you don't know. you just know that we got caught taping defensive signals.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's reasonable to assume they got an edge. Why else would they continue to do something expressly illegal at the risk of severe punishment and public relations backlash?

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

Please show where in the NFL rules it says that stealing signs (or using video equipment to do so) is against the rules. All the commissioner's letter said was basically it cannot be done from the sidelines *or* from the coaches booth for use in that specific game.

All the Pats did was break the rule of *where*. Since the camera was seized during the 1st half, it is clear they did not use that during the game.

Stealing signs is not cheating, it is playing to win.

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess that's why the league took a 1st round pick from them and the Pats haven't objected to it at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because they admit they broke a rule. They never denied that they broke a rule. Their position was always that the taping was for future use and thus did not violate the commissioner's letter. They were overruled and didn't argue when they lost their 1st round pick (likely #32), but still got to keep the 49er's 1st round pick (possibly #1-5) [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-18-2007, 12:05 PM

Location: ***yankees offseason thread*** oh and Gd River Ave Blues

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe like 42

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmm, what is it worth if it's college rules instead of pro rules? Another touchdown?

They're beating pro teams by like 20 a game. I'd lay 42 in a heartbeat.

[/ QUOTE ]

assuming belichik actually wants to run up the score, i'd lay the whole 50.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Should the Pats be running up the score on everybody in garbage time?

This has already been discussed ad nauseum, particularly on FO. Because the Cowboys called a timeout, the Pats had to run a play because taking a knee would NOT have run out the clock on 4th down, and in fact would have turned the ball back over to the Cowboys. After witnessing the absolutely absurd luckboxing of the Cowboys on MNF the previous week, I think it is safe to assume that no team will ever give the opposing team a chance to come back, no matter how slim the chances. They ran the weakest play possible and the Cowboys still couldn't stop them. This issue has been settled and is not at all worthy of discussion.

As for other games, there might be some arguments to be made claiming the Pats were laying it on. But they DID take a knee on 4th down to run out the clock against the Bills within the red zone, and took Brady out with like 8 minutes to go in the 4th quarter in a previous game (I forget which one, doesn't matter).

People are really reaching right now trying to find ways to hate the Pats.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:40 PM

"Running up the score" only exists where there are large disparities in talent level. WRT football, that would mean college football and below. There's no such thing as running up the score in the NFL. If you can't stop your opponent don't go whining to the media about them running up the score. (FTR, I'm not a Patriots fan.)
Old 10-18-2007, 12:48 PM

Default Re: Should the Pats be running up the score on everybody in garbage time?

[ QUOTE ]
People are really reaching right now trying to find ways to hate the Pats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pats fans are making it pretty easy.

-McGee