Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 03:56 PM

Default Re: My turn for a weightlifting/fitness thread

you're missing my point entirely.

i'm not saying that squatting isn't helpful to a vertical leap.

i'm saying that heavy squatting isn't.

allow me to clarify-

heavy squatting = failure achieved in under 5 repetitions. so on your fifth rep, you must have assistance. that's what i call heavy squatting.

in my OP i reccomended high capacity strength training. squatting for very high repetitions is something that not many people do and are fairly unfamiliar with the results, but from my experience and the experience of others it is an excellent foundation from which to build on and it in itself is a superb way to increase strength.

but i stand by my point- a routine to increase vertical leap that centers around the idea that squatting heavy (by all definitions squatting heavy is max weight for low reps) is going to be the chief exercise in accomplishing that goal is incorrect.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:02 PM

I guess we will have to agree to disagree. i personally think a mixture of heavy squatting in the begining then on to higher reps, more explosive movements after a trainging cycle would be the best route.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:16 PM

TxRedMan,

Thats horrible lingo WRT "heavy squatting". Intensity would be a better term and more advanced athletes can't tolerate the same intensity as beginning lifters. Not to mention you aren't [censored] Mike Mentzer, you can leave the HIT principles at home.

I think a combination program developing maximal and dynamic strength is by far the best over some jump rope calf raise program. Especially since your calves have almost nothing to do with jumping.

Though on a side note I think that SC isn't far enough along in his training to really benefit from something like bands or chains. So he could squat 2x a week, and do some plyo and play ball and he'd be good to go with some minor changes for several months at a min.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Especially since your calves have almost nothing to do with jumping.

[/ QUOTE ]

ehhh?

WHAT?!?!

almost nothing to do with jumping?

okay, here's the end-all be-all for OP

2 cc's deca 2x/week

2 cc's test prop 4x/week

.5 mcg's clen 5x/week

1 i.u. HGH/day

= slam dunk
Old 01-31-2007, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you're missing my point entirely.

i'm not saying that squatting isn't helpful to a vertical leap.

i'm saying that heavy squatting isn't.

allow me to clarify-

heavy squatting = failure achieved in under 5 repetitions. so on your fifth rep, you must have assistance. that's what i call heavy squatting.

in my OP i reccomended high capacity strength training. squatting for very high repetitions is something that not many people do and are fairly unfamiliar with the results, but from my experience and the experience of others it is an excellent foundation from which to build on and it in itself is a superb way to increase strength.

but i stand by my point- a routine to increase vertical leap that centers around the idea that squatting heavy (by all definitions squatting heavy is max weight for low reps) is going to be the chief exercise in accomplishing that goal is incorrect.

[/ QUOTE ]
You don't have to go to failure when lifting heavy weights. That's probably better too when one might not have perfect form in a potentially dangerous exercise.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:34 PM

TxRedMan,

Wow. You are really flooring me with your lack of basic knowledge. Maybe you should work out some short of linear periodization also since nothing major has changed in the last 20 years of weight training.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TxRedMan,

Thats horrible lingo WRT "heavy squatting". Intensity would be a better term and more advanced athletes can't tolerate the same intensity as beginning lifters. Not to mention you aren't [censored] Mike Mentzer, you can leave the HIT principles at home.

I think a combination program developing maximal and dynamic strength is by far the best over some jump rope calf raise program. Especially since your calves have almost nothing to do with jumping.

Though on a side note I think that SC isn't far enough along in his training to really benefit from something like bands or chains. So he could squat 2x a week, and do some plyo and play ball and he'd be good to go with some minor changes for several months at a min.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a lot different than "Go squat 500 lbs and call me when you get back."
Old 01-31-2007, 04:55 PM

skunkworks,

If I ask you how to pick up chicks, but say I don't like approaching them... Do you expect in depth substantial replies or would derision and laughter be more prevalent. Regardless his training would probably be almost no different for the first 3-6 months since he'll need to get a lot stronger and likely put on some weight since he weighs something close to nothing. Maybe ~350 would be a better benchmark at which he could try other more exciting methods depending on his size and build at that point.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:12 PM

Thremp,

I know what you're saying in this thread -- that squatting and deadlifting regularly will build the sort of muscle that will increase his vertical. It absolutely will.

But isn't there a better way to say it that isn't so meathead-y?
Old 01-31-2007, 05:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thremp,

I know what you're saying in this thread -- that squatting and deadlifting regularly will build the sort of muscle that will increase his vertical. It absolutely will.

But isn't there a better way to say it that isn't so meathead-y?

[/ QUOTE ]

skunk,

Take the problem not being hugged enough as a child up with your parents.

Aside: I'm sure there is. But I'd waste my time typing out a detailed program and explaining how to log food/exercise, when he isn't gonna follow it.