Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2007, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Amazing comebacks

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is nothing amazing about a 4-game win streak. Those fall under the category of "slightly improbable comebacks".

[/ QUOTE ]
If it's never been done before in baseball playoff history is it still "slightly improbable"?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe its never been done in any playoff 7-game series, correct? Now who is out of line, eh? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
its happened in other sports, just not baseball.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:47 PM

As a Jets fan, I must also mention the Monday Night Miracle
Old 05-12-2007, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is nothing amazing about a 4-game win streak. Those fall under the category of "slightly improbable comebacks".

[/ QUOTE ]
If it's never been done before in baseball playoff history is it still "slightly improbable"?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe its never been done in any playoff 7-game series, correct? Now who is out of line, eh? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
happened twice in hockey. seems like you are out of line.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:01 PM

Ah, so it's been done three times in the history of the three sports who use 7-game playoffs. Yep, that's just slightly improbable.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The reason why it is so improbable is because most teams which go down 3-0 are horrible teams. It was unlikely the Yankees would win three followed by the Sox winning 4, but the once we knew the Yankees won three, the Sox winning 4 straight would be more likely than other comebacks listed. Namely the earlier ones posted by JaredL.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:35 PM

I'm surprised Diego Corrales' comeback in the 10th round vs Castillo hasn't gotten a mention yet.

10th Round

Corrales goes down twice in the 10th, loses a point for spitting his mouthpiece, and amazingly scores a TKO in the same round, successfully defending his lightweight title. The most amazing comeback I've ever seen.

Edit: Also the Lakers comeback from 27 down in the 4th was pretty amazing. LA outscored Dallas 44-15 in the 4th.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised Diego Corrales' comeback in the 10th round vs Castillo hasn't gotten a mention yet.

10th Round

Corrales goes down twice in the 10th, loses a point for spitting his mouthpiece, and amazingly scores a TKO in the same round, successfully defending his lightweight title. The most amazing comeback I've ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty cool. Was there any controversy about the ref stopping that?
Old 05-12-2007, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

10th Round

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty cool. Was there any controversy about the ref stopping that?

[/ QUOTE ]

A little bit, but the Showtime broadcast crew both agreed with the stoppage and I tend to agree with them.

I'm pretty sure there was no standing 8 count in that fight, so the ref has no choice but to stop the fight if Castillo can't defend himself. If you watch the replay again, he's basically unconscious leaning against the ropes.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:59 PM

Good link Sadat, never seen that. Gatti-Ward I Round 9 is still my favorite round ever, but that round is very, very good.

And I agree that it was a good stoppage.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good link Sadat, never seen that. Gatti-Ward I Round 9 is still my favorite round ever, but that round is very, very good.

And I agree that it was a good stoppage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gatti-Ward I was an unbelievable fight as well. Just watched that 9th round again. Wow. Looks like a Rocky movie where no one blocks - they just take turns pounding each other in the head.

Round 9