Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2007, 08:31 PM

Default Re: Suspected cheating on AP

diebitter - Thank you. I'll quote the whole thing just as you wrote it, including the edit.

Outstanding post!

Buzz
Old 09-15-2007, 08:36 PM

Leave out the last bit actually, it's not really significant. A superuser account sitting alongside your normal login would do the same. The only diff is the superuser account could only be done by one person at a time most likely, whilst the path I outline can be done by many, many people at a time.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:45 PM

El D

You have more experience in this arena than me, so I'm sure you are probably right on the money.

I think my point was there's several potential ways to those hole cards, and direct or indirect access to the database is a possible along with a 'superuser' account.

Hell, the indirect methods could include any mechanism that easily breaches firewalls' default behaviours on different ports, including ftp and telnet. It's just the web one would be the most easy to execute.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:51 PM

This thing is all over 2+2 now, it's really pointless burying it here.

That genie is not going back in the bottle.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thing is all over 2+2 now, it's really pointless burying it here.

That genie is not going back in the bottle.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. If people start discussing it in NVG, I don't plan on moving anything (unless Dids thinks otherwise).
Old 09-15-2007, 09:01 PM

when DOES a genie ever go back into the bottle? you never hear someone say, don't worry, we can put that genie back in the bottle!
Old 09-15-2007, 09:05 PM

The one thing that seems really strange is all the talk about collecting hands, combining databases and accumulating evidence to present to AP.

That seems ridiculous. AP have way more investigative tools than we have, not to mention access to all hole cards. Conducting an inquiry of this kind should be basically trivial for them once they are convinced to do so.

I think the evidence presented so far makes the case pretty clearly that they MUST do so. I would expect AP to have been tipped off by the posts by now, whether we ever get a public statement from them is another matter. While this may or may not be an inside job, I expect it doesn't go very far up the food chain given how poorly this scam was executed unless this is just the tip of the iceberg and this is someone on the periphery to the real scammers or someone who stumbled on to it and the real perpetrators have been more subtle in their use of this hack.

While we may never know the true extent of it, it will be an awful long time before I have any confidence in AP.
Old 09-15-2007, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
when DOES a genie ever go back into the bottle? you never hear someone say, don't worry, we can put that genie back in the bottle!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, genies are pretty damn wily.

I'd strongly recommend that we all help out with damage control in the forums we mod or frequent. (I'm sure most everybody is doing this anyhow)
Old 09-15-2007, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AP have way more investigative tools than we have

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahahhaa
Old 09-15-2007, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The one thing that seems really strange is all the talk about collecting hands, combining databases and accumulating evidence to present to AP.

That seems ridiculous. AP have way more investigative tools than we have, not to mention access to all hole cards. Conducting an inquiry of this kind should be basically trivial for them once they are convinced to do so.

I think the evidence presented so far makes the case pretty clearly that they MUST do so. I would expect AP to have been tipped off by the posts by now, whether we ever get a public statement from them is another matter. While this may or may not be an inside job, I expect it doesn't go very far up the food chain given how poorly this scam was executed unless this is just the tip of the iceberg and this is someone on the periphery to the real scammers or someone who stumbled on to it and the real perpetrators have been more subtle in their use of this hack.

While we may never know the true extent of it, it will be an awful long time before I have any confidence in AP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because Absolute support is horrible and lazy, it might take this kind of concerted effort before they bother to look into this without sending a stock "our site is secure and in no way rigged" response to everyone who emails them, because they get so many of these emails on a daily basis.