Old 02-13-2007, 02:11 AM

Default Re: FT Sweat: WSOP Rincon Event #1

Congrats Paul!
Old 02-13-2007, 02:36 AM

Congratulations and well done! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2007, 02:42 AM

Congrats Paul. Me and BlueEcho got there a few minutes too late since only 3 were left. I hate that we missed you somehow.

Great meeting Mike though.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:36 AM

Nice job UCLA, I'll have to make it to a San Diego area tourney sometime to me you, Rich, and any other SoCal 2+2ers.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:15 PM

Yeah congrats Paul, really bummed we missed you, couldn't have been by very much either. We had a good dinner though.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:25 PM

Good Job!

Congrats!
Old 02-13-2007, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Good Job!

Congrats!

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 02-13-2007, 12:39 PM

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. Pretty much everyone here knows the sorta mixed, somewhat empty feeling of a result like this, but in-part at least I have only myself to blame considering the misplayed AA hand, which would have allowed me to take another 100k chips or so to the final table and prevented one of the guys that outlasted me from doubling up.

The interesting thing about that hand was the other big stack at the table in the SB. He freaked out for like 3 minutes deciding what to do with his hand after my raise. Remember we are on the final table bubble. Eventually he shows his hand to a railbird and folds and then the ugliness with the K5 hand ensued.

Turns out he folded AK to my MP raise (and I had a somewhat aggro image at that point). WTF? If he plays the hand BB never gets involve, I'm doubling up because chips are going in preflop or on the K-high flop. And, I'm taking an enormous chip lead to the final table. Ah, the butterfly effect.

At the final table I had two close situations that cost me some chips.

First, with about 160k and an 8k big blind, I raise from the CO with 84s (steals are pretty easy here) to 25k. Big blind with 300k or so smooth calls. He's very straightforward and predictable and readable. Flop is Kx4r. He leads for 20k. I think he probably has a K but also there is a chance he's just good enough to be making a move, so I smooth call with bottom pair to see the turn and his reaction. Turn gives me a gutshot. He bets just 20k into about a 100k pot giving me 6:1 to hit my gutshot or 2 pair or trips. I decide to call knowing I will get paid off on the river if I hit since I'm convinced he has a K at this point and will call a reasonable river bet or raise. I miss, he instashoves, I fold.

Same guy. I raise in EP with TT and about 200k. He's in big blind with 300k. My raise it to 25k and he's in MP and makes it 50k. He has a monster. Folds back to me and I decide I have just enough to call for set value and stack him if I hit. I miss (and, laughably, the flop comes Qxx and he instantly shouts "I'm all in" even though it's not his turn). I folded and he showed KK.

Ultimately I ended up shoving K6s with about 90k and a 12k big blind 4-handed from the button and got called again by that guy showing 22. I lost the flip and was out 4th.

BlueEcho and Rich, sorry for missing you guys. I was disappointed and my wife wanted me to get home to a nice dinner she was making and hang out with her. I was all too happy to oblige.

I'll be playing probably tomorrow and Thursday and then maybe Saturday, and then probably the mega-sats next Monday. Hopefully we get a chance to meet at some point.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:47 PM

I kind of figured you were bummed out and left. I'm going to try and play Saturday at least.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:45 PM

UCLA,

Congrats on the great tournament! I live in Oxnard Ca and am considering trying to make it down for the Thurs $340.

First things first....what time does it start at? I couldn't find the info on cardplayer.

Assuming I can go, can you give a quick review of the structure (blinds and x people/table) and any other basic thoughts? If it sounds fun, and my schedule permits, I will try and make it down.