Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2007, 01:33 AM

Default Re: Coffee Addicts Thread

Cbloom: It only takes a couple of minutes to grind. I thought it would get old but I'm so used to it now it doesn't bother me. I may stick with it or break down and get a hand grinder.

Elsapo: anything by Zassenhaus or Peougeout and your gold. Zassenhaus has had some production probs over that last year or so. The only place you can really find them available is Ebay. Expect to pay top dollar.
Old 02-16-2007, 03:40 AM

I once worked with a sergeant in the Army who didn't wash his coffee pot for years. One day an enterprising private on CQ thought he'd impress "Top" by cleaning his coffee maker. The poor private had no a** left after the chewing out he'd got the next day. He liked his coffe hot, strong, cheap and black. I'm pretty sure he didn't care much about roasted beans.

I have pretty much the same taste, or lack of it, in coffee. More is better. I just wash the caraffe from time to time.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How does everyone drink their coffee? Just straight black coffee?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think strong and milky is the best - you get all the flavours.

Re. how much coffee to put in a stove-top machine - we use a 4 cup model I think, and one tblspn per person makes 2 mugs (with lots of milk in).

re. enjoying coffee - it's just a unique flavour that lots of people love. if you want to give it a go maybe think about how the coffee tastes, e.g. nutty, rich, spicy. We don't really have the words to describe most coffee flavours though.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:28 PM

Old 02-16-2007, 05:04 PM

I know this is a pretty profane subject for anyone who appreciates well-brewed coffee, but I'm curious: what's the best instant coffee out there?
Old 02-16-2007, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know this is a pretty profane subject for anyone who appreciates well-brewed coffee, but I'm curious: what's the best instant coffee out there?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are banned for 40 days and 40 nights!

Obviously joking but if you wish to drink instant coffee then do so. Folgers instant coffee crystals, I suppose, are good enough. But remember it is instant coffee so why not go for the cheapest. You are not really after flavor right?

I am sure the mention of instant coffee sent a shiver down the spine of all the coffee aficionados. We have had an excellent thread and I do not think much more can be added. We didn't get much information on roasting your own coffee beans; most just purchase good quality coffee beans etc. If someone wants to make the effort, perhaps a separate thread about all the ins and outs of roasting your own coffee beans can be started, a fresh pot on coffee so to speak. I don’t feel I have the expertise to start a thread of this nature so will bow out and let others more appropriate attempt the task if they want.

Have a good cup of coffee on me.

-Zeno
Old 02-16-2007, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've only had two kinds of instant coffee, one was horrible and I don't remember the name (might be Folgers), but the other is Taster's Choice and it is excellent.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:51 AM

I had a feeling my question would get that kind of reaction. I love coffee, been drinking it for over 18 years. I actually love a good cup, but will settle for less at times. I'm an addict.

So with my busy schedule which includes working long shifts in 3 different clinics, instant coffee is very convienant. So far I think Tasters Choice is the best one out i've tried. Was hoping someone could shed light on something better. Sorry to derail. Also FWIW we have a small chain here in Ann Arbor called'Expresso Royale' which has fabulous coffee.
Old 02-20-2007, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Intelligentsia

And it isn't close. Unlike a lot of places, they buy directly from quality growers, not wholesalers. They roast in small batches. Their largest roast is 200 lbs. Starbucks smallest roast is 2000 lbs for their "special offerings".

If you happen to be in Chicago, you can take a very cool tour of their roasting works.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can also take a one-day coffee bar master class in which they teach you the secrets of making a great latte, coffee, capp, etc.

I use a French Press at home, and the best advice I received for it was from Peet's and is as follows:

Don't boil the water. It should be hot, but a tad under boiling. Pour the water into the press, over the grounds. Let it sit for exactly one minute then gently stir. Let it sit for exactly one minute again, then gently stir again. After a third minute, plunge and pour. Coffee does not need any more time to steep, and the additional time will hurt the quality of the brew.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:37 PM

I am bumping this thread to ask a question: I caught a segment on Food Network last night about Mountain Thunder Coffee in Hawaii. They're supposedly 100% Kona Coffee, organically grown, yadda yadda. Their online store rates are pretty reasonable (as far as Kona Coffee goes) and while I'll probably try some anyway, I wanted to ask you guys if anyone had any experience, positive or negative, with this company?