Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2006, 06:21 PM

Default Re: How to observe opponents while multitabling?

[ QUOTE ]
I 8 table the 33 regs with PAHUD but also would like to become better at note taking, mostly for when my bankroll allows me to move up. The stats I use in pahud are vpip and pfr, with these two pieces of information you can separate the solid players from the donks. the other stats c-bet %, check-raise % are stats that need many many hands played to become significant imo. There are only a few players who i've played over 1000 sng hands with, so i rarely looking at any other stats.

While playing i look for multitablers, if they are playing more than three tables i'll make a note of this and use the search function to see how many there are playing. many players play two at a time, but only basically if you run into a 6+ tabler you've probably got a solid player. I'll watch these players more closely than the donks.

Noting which players are donks and which are solid allows me to better estimate their ranges in the late game. I usually don't have more than 4-5 tables in push/fold mode so i can pay attention to most hands pretty well and if a player makes a call or a push that i'd deem as outside of their donk/solid mold then i'll make a note of it.

I rarely make notes on players who aren't playing 4+ tables since i just don't play with them enough for the note to really be of any help. the only notes i'll keep on donks is if they are limping big pocket pairs and trying to trap with them. For the multitablers if they make a push and get called and then show 95o or something, i'll make a note that they are capable of pushing any two. if a player misses and obvious any two push from the SB i'll make a note of this. If they are making standard raises after level 3 i'll pay close attention to these hands in hope of a showdown so i can better narrow down their ranges. With some regualrs a raise of 3xBB on level 4 and beyond will mean QQ+ 90% of the time. Other than these types of notes I don't do much.

most of my notes just say "6 tables 33r" or something like that so i know what limits they play and how many tables. at the moment my note taking is mostly oriented around better beign able to estimate push/calling ranges for the late game. I'm hoping in the future i'll be able to take better notes for the early and mid game as i move up in limits where basic push/fold isn't as profitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

good post thanks
Old 06-22-2006, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For those who are using PAHUD, what stats do you find the most useful during your game? I've used it for a bit, and aside from getting a hint about the general quality of player, I haven't found it that useful.

[/ QUOTE ]
I 4-6 table $22's and use following stats:

VPIP, PFR, Postflop aggr., number of hands. With these you have good general feel about players.

Att.Steal, Folded SB to steal, Folded BB to steal. These are very useful in endgame pushing situations.

Continuation bet, folded to continuation bet, checkraise. These are helpful mostly with regulars, because you need good sample size to use these.

I also use filters so when we are 4-handed it doesn't count all hands, but only shorthanded hands.
Old 06-22-2006, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
For those who are using PAHUD, what stats do you find the most useful during your game? I've used it for a bit, and aside from getting a hint about the general quality of player, I haven't found it that useful.

[/ QUOTE ]

responding to people are say that PAhud isnt good because of small sample sizes: so are your reads on players (being of small sample),

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point, but part of the skill here is understanding the implications of your notes so you can extrapolate behavior in other situations, also you can indicate the reliability of your notes (I add a "?" if it's not a solid read yet).

[/ QUOTE ]

definitely pineapple. usually my notes have "ranges" in that i dont stay consistent with the types of notes i make. they can be anywhere from the only big pot ive seen villain play (for example, an unusual betting pattern and showdown, position, etc...) or if ive seen him make consistent ridiculous plays, ill have a stereotype in addition to any hand-specific notes i have (incredibly loose in the blinds, calling station that wont ever fold or raise with 2nd pair or worse, etc....)i also use the "?" if i am not confident in any numbers or notes that i already have on villain. then theres always the occasional villain that sucks out on me real bad and i have a "FUCKINGDONKAUTOSHIPITMORONHOLLA" note on him [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-22-2006, 08:11 PM

I look at the little numbers next to their name.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not all names have numbers...what about CAPITAL LETTERS?
Old 06-22-2006, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not all names have numbers...what about CAPITAL LETTERS?

[/ QUOTE ]

Those are the surest sign of a donk. Seriously. (Apologies to 2+2ers who went the ALL CAPS route.)
Old 06-22-2006, 09:08 PM

I try to watch how people play their big pocket pairs. A lot of times they will have a distinctive move they make with them. I take note of that.
Also, if you see an all in level 1. Look at the hand history and if it is relevant (often it is), make a note for that player and if you are lucky to catch him before he leaves, the player who got knocked out (maybe with QTo on a Q high flop).