FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2007, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Getting a cat

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Just remember that if you do declaw, you must:

1. Never let the cat outside.

[/ QUOTE ]

not true. we had three declawed cats when I was a kid and they would all go outside and did fine.

Two of them were very good tree-climbers even without their front claws and one was an especially good mouser and would bring us 'presents' right to our window while we were eating dinner.

Maybe never letting them outside is true in some neighborhoods. But not where I was. It just wasn't a big deal for them to associate with other cats or run around with no front-claws.

[/ QUOTE ]

Never letting them outside has nothing to do with their tree-climbing and mouse-catching abilities.

It's about the fact that if they came across a stray or another animal, they'd get f-ed up.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
XXX - I'm also circumcised, and haven't experienced any degradation in my quality of life.

[/ QUOTE ]

?

I've always thought declawing is kinda cruel, especially since things like Softclaws which get great reviews are out there.

For those that don't know, cat's claws are not toenails. When they remove them, they cut the bone to the first knuckle.

Diagram of declawing

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm...the cats are anaesthesized for the procedure. Their paws will be sore for a few days, then they are good as new.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if your wife said "Your toenails scratch me while we are sleeping, so I'm gonna have the doc cut your toes off. Don't worry, you'll be asleep for the whole procedure."

That would be fine with you?

Wouldn't you just say that you'd be sure to keep them trimmed?
Old 06-20-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

It's about the fact that if they came across a stray or another animal, they'd get f-ed up.

[/ QUOTE ]

they did...and took care of themselves fine.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Never letting them outside has nothing to do with their tree-climbing and mouse-catching abilities.

[/ QUOTE ]

When we got our cat it had no claws in the front or back. Our neighbors friend had found it in their back yard fighting with their cats. They claimed they were looking for somebody with no cats to take it because it killed another cat. A few days later, when we lived in a third floor apartment, I saw the cat go out onto a ledge, box a passing by blue jay and snap it's neck then bring the bird into me.

It's been four years since then and she has never left the house and didn't seem to "feel" like killing the squirrel that was running around downstairs.

The cat still doesn't get along well with some people, but if she decides she likes you it's a very cute cat.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
XXX - I'm also circumcised, and haven't experienced any degradation in my quality of life.

[/ QUOTE ]

?

I've always thought declawing is kinda cruel, especially since things like Softclaws which get great reviews are out there.

For those that don't know, cat's claws are not toenails. When they remove them, they cut the bone to the first knuckle.

Diagram of declawing

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm...the cats are anaesthesized for the procedure. Their paws will be sore for a few days, then they are good as new.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if your wife said "Your toenails scratch me while we are sleeping, so I'm gonna have the doc cut your toes off. Don't worry, you'll be asleep for the whole procedure."

That would be fine with you?

Wouldn't you just say that you'd be sure to keep them trimmed?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, but I also wouldn't enjoy having my testicles removed.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:39 AM

I think my cat still suffers from chronic pain 5 years after being declawed. The reason I think this is she always sleeps with her paws folded. Sometimes when she's starting to doze off she tries to put her paw on the floor in a normal position but quickly folds it again in obvious discomfort. It could be that all cats do this though whether declawed or not.

The day of the surgery wasn't pretty either. The wife had taken the cat to the vet on her day off. I came home from work to a crying wife cleaning blood from the carpet and walls in our living room, she had locked the cat in the bathroom. The cat freaked when she got home, ripped off the bandages, was flipping out running all over the place leaving a trail of blood everywhere. The bathroom looked like a murder scene, completely covered in blood. It was probably in the top 100 worst days of my life and was certainly the worst day of my cat's life.
Old 06-23-2007, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think my cat still suffers from chronic pain 5 years after being declawed. The reason I think this is she always sleeps with her paws folded. Sometimes when she's starting to doze off she tries to put her paw on the floor in a normal position but quickly folds it again in obvious discomfort. It could be that all cats do this though whether declawed or not.

The day of the surgery wasn't pretty either. The wife had taken the cat to the vet on her day off. I came home from work to a crying wife cleaning blood from the carpet and walls in our living room, she had locked the cat in the bathroom. The cat freaked when she got home, ripped off the bandages, was flipping out running all over the place leaving a trail of blood everywhere. The bathroom looked like a murder scene, completely covered in blood. It was probably in the top 100 worst days of my life and was certainly the worst day of my cat's life.

[/ QUOTE ]
Jesus Christ. That's [censored] horrid.

Proponents of declawing, do you have a single good argument? Not damaging furniture isn't it, a scratching pole takes care of that besides minimal damage.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:42 PM

obviously that vet screwed things up pretty badly.
Really sad story.

If she still folds her paw in obvious discomfort I would have long ago taken her back to a vet (a different one) to see if they could tell if there was any damage. Perhaps it's a sharp piece of claw that he left stuck in there or pointing the wrong-way inside or something that caused all that bleeding as well as the current discomfort/pain.
Old 06-24-2007, 02:30 AM

declawing is basically slicing your pet's bones, nerves and muscles for your own convenience. i promise you, if you actual read the details of the procedure, you wouldnt want to do it to your pet.
Old 06-24-2007, 04:58 AM

I honestly never knew this much about it nor that there was such a significant, outspoken group against it.

I'm visiting my family next weekend and will be seeing my sister, the vet.

I'm pretty sure she had all of her cats declawed.

Mind you, she completely adores cats, especially her own. She also isn't exactly super-nitty about her furniture or anything like that.

I'm going to ask her opinions on this stuff because now I'm curious and some of you are opening my eyes to the aspects of this I really wasn't fully aware of.

It likely doesn't make any direct difference to me because my GF is pretty badly allergic to most cats so it's not likely I'll be bringing another one into my house anytime soon.