Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 11:15 AM

Default Re: Ask me about the CFA program

There are sample exams / questions on the CFA website, so anyone can easily gage with reasonable probability their ability to pass as a walk-in. That said, given that the info on the test is all going to be used in future endeavors of a CFA, cramming and artifically passing that test is pure stupidity. Just slowly accumulate knowledge over 2-3 years and all those tests will be a joke.
Old 10-02-2007, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How much work experience do you have? Someone in your role who wants to move from marketing to finance, has an engineering degree with a mediocre GPA from a good school, sounds like the ideal candidate for an MBA, assuming your work experience is the right amount.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm considering an MBA, but very concerned that I won't be able to get into a top-15 school. My undergrad gpa was a 2.8 (yuck). I'm 27, and my work experience is all so-so, I've been kind of bouncing around.

How much value do the mediocre MBA programs have? I'd really like to try to find a company where I can see if I like finance before I go the MBA route.

-Z
Old 10-02-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm considering an MBA, but very concerned that I won't be able to get into a top-15 school. My undergrad gpa was a 2.8 (yuck). I'm 27, and my work experience is all so-so, I've been kind of bouncing around.

How much value do the mediocre MBA programs have? I'd really like to try to find a company where I can see if I like finance before I go the MBA route.

-Z

[/ QUOTE ]

Mediocre MBA degrees don't really have much value. 2.8 with so-so experience doesn't exactly scream top MBA program, so I wouldn't bother. How good a school did you go for undergrad? Are we talking Ivy, top liberal arts (Williams, Swarthmore), Stanford, MIT, Northwestern level, or a tier slightly below (Top public schools/CMU/NYU/BC)? Do you know anyone in finance or are many of your classmates or alumns from your school in that area? Where do you live and are you willing to relocate? Most importantly, what reason other than not liking what you're doing right now do you have for moving into finance?

Unfortunately, short-term, entry-level employment in finance has probably just about peaked.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mediocre MBA degrees don't really have much value.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am by far no expert, but an MBA is nothing more than a door opener. It is meaningless if you are not able to perform successfully the job you are assigned to. In my experience I have seen a lot of top notch Ivy leaguers flop in the corporate world. Some/Many crash and burn under the heavy workload/stress factors.
Old 10-13-2007, 06:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Multiple choice test makers are like bad poker players trying to cheat - they are easy to read. They have to somehow present the correct choice and simultaneously present other, erroneous choices. The problem, however, is that there's no good way to present these other choices without revealing the nature of the answer. I won't talk about the specifics since they depend on the exact test and you figure that out during the exam but I will say that you'll find enough patterns in any multiple choice exam - the key is analyzing each answer choice even for questions that you know the answer to - they should reveal how the test maker likes to lay out the wrong choices. So much so that if I were to design a multiple choice test and my test takers are very, very smart, I would probably make it a True/False test (or the statement a, statement b, tell me if just a is true, just b is true, neither is true, both are true type questions)

The biggest enemy of a great test-taker employing the above stragegy is time limit, since it is often prohibitively time-consuming to do such an analysis during a test. Fortunately, most people are so bad at math that most tests that focus on calculations have far too generous a time limit.

[/ QUOTE ]

True.

Since it has been pointed out that "analyst" is such a broad term, I am curious what specific career tracks are most relevant to the CFA curriculum.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:42 AM

Here's a link to an engineer blogging about his experience:

http://luminouslogic.com/path-to-the-cfa
Old 10-15-2007, 05:13 AM

I'm taking the Level I exam in June and received the books about a week ago. PM me if you want to share study materials.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:47 PM

What would be the benefit of someone taking the 3 exams( with no prior finance experience)as far as potential careers go?
Old 10-18-2007, 05:48 PM

What number of decimal places did you set on your calculator for the tests?
Old 10-18-2007, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What number of decimal places did you set on your calculator for the tests?

[/ QUOTE ]

haha... does it matter?