Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2007, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Shaun\'s beginners guide to 180s

[ QUOTE ]
I play these tournamets. I think I had big rush at first at lower levels and then went to upper levels but had had bad streak, maybe because of luck and maybe because my opponents are more skilled. I pretty much play the way you do, expect I dont resteal. How big move this reasteal is you think? and how do you find those upper level 180players sit&go:s , how good are players in those depending on the level yo u are playing? Also I would like to know that how big thing is to watch your table what they are doing? I usually play 2-5 180players sit&go at the same time, before maybe even 8 tables MAX at the same time, so I dont really cant watch how others are playing, especially because I dont have pokeroffice or anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post Shaundeeb. Could you please answer to my questions, please?
Old 02-18-2007, 06:40 PM

rapsu ill stab at it. yes the players are worse ive noticed i just started playing $4 180's and im 4 for 5 in the money w 3 ft why? first 5 levels the bad players pay off your big hands they make too many mistakes. 2. i rob the limpers at 50-100 level to 100-200 25 ante level. 3. these players dont counterattack agression well and they are a bit easier to read.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:55 PM

Has there been a noticable change in 180 play since the recent netteller issues?
Old 02-19-2007, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I play these tournamets. I think I had big rush at first at lower levels and then went to upper levels but had had bad streak, maybe because of luck and maybe because my opponents are more skilled. I pretty much play the way you do, expect I dont resteal. How big move this reasteal is you think? and how do you find those upper level 180players sit&go:s , how good are players in those depending on the level yo u are playing? Also I would like to know that how big thing is to watch your table what they are doing? I usually play 2-5 180players sit&go at the same time, before maybe even 8 tables MAX at the same time, so I dont really cant watch how others are playing, especially because I dont have pokeroffice or anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great post Shaundeeb. Could you please answer to my questions, please?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um I've echoed this in most of my responses not having every move in your arsenal makes you pass up significant EV spots. You should be familar with all these moves and more. Go and go, go stop go, resteal shove, stop and go. All of these moves are effective against aggressive opp with wide ranges. And mixing up your spots is key because your opp will always be thinking hopefully that you have a hand. Because most of the time you shouldn't.

Here's an theorem of mine. If you don't get it in bad you aren't getting it in enough.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:04 AM

shaun, why do i, aka charder30 suck at 180's
Old 02-19-2007, 04:06 AM

heh personal advice like that I leave for students sorry.
Old 02-19-2007, 07:38 AM

Is there an article about these go and go, go stop go, resteal shove, stop and go moves?
Old 02-19-2007, 08:37 AM

no others have talked about named most of the moves except the go stop go which has become my fav move vs light 3bettors.
Basically they are all ways to fight back against aggressive players when your stack is at different levels. And/or your position is diff

Go and go are good for 25-30bbs you 3-bet someone OOP and leave like 2/3rds to a full PSB left in your stack to shove any flop

resteal shove is just when someone opens and you shove with a weaker hand than their calling range. I think it was anksy who made a few threads about this that had great discussion look in anthology. Basically good for 12-20bb stacks this move pos doesn't matter

stop and go is when you flat call a opening raise and shove any flop good for short stacks BB 7-11 depending on opener.

go stop go, When you open raise and an aggressive person 3bets you in pos and you think he's light but will prob call your 4bet shove PF with anything you've opened to get since he's a decent player and getting a good price. You flat call the 3bet and shove any flop. Good for 25-35bb
Old 02-19-2007, 09:19 AM

Shaun,

Can I ask you about a specific situation in these tournaments?

Say you are dealt As Ks in the big blind at the 200/400 level with an 8k stack. An unknown player with a 5k stack makes it 1600 from UTG. It's folded around to you. Do you shove or call?

This is a situation where my instinct is to just call and preserve a good stack, but my problem in these tournaments is I find it difficult to get into double figures and end up taking a lot of 10-18 finishes. Is the above situation a time to gamble for a big stack?
Old 02-19-2007, 09:43 AM

Shaun,

Thanks for the guide and responses to all questions: very valuable advice for me, trying to master the 4/180s, or at least trying not to suck at them so much anymore... [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

Just a follow up question on the moves vs. agressive players: the stop 'n go / go 'n go / go stop go, are these moves specifically for a heads-up situation? I often chicken out of these moves as soon as things go multiway. Do you use these against two or more opponents as well on occasion?

And what about position? You mention pos. doesn't matter in a resteal shove, but I thought a stop n go / resteal shove are best (or have the least risk) when in the sb or bb, because with the resteal no-one or just one person is yet to act (and can wake up with a monster), and with the stop 'n go, you are first to act on the flop that you are shoving. Or is position less important than I think it is?