Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2007, 05:36 PM

Default Re: Antigua Files for Remedies- $3.4 billion per year in intellectual

Thanks for the reply Skallagim. I think my hopes were a bit too high hoping for something to happen in short order -- 3 to 6 months. The wheels of government grind slowly so I imagine your time frame is right on spot.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even if the US ignores the WTO and does not agree to billions in sanctions or trade reprisals...

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not pick on you JP, or anyone else, but I want to make a point. Engineer and Jay, among others (Owl too I think, others) have been making this point, but it has not sunk in yet. I understand why, since sometimes this stuff is hard to intuitively grasp, and as Americans we tend to think we control everything. (I blame society. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])

Okay, here is the point:

The United States does not have to agree to sanctions or trade restrictions against them! They will be unilaterally instituted with the WTO's blessing, and WITHOUT U.S. consent!

If the U.S. doesn't like it, tough titty. If they retaliate they will get hit with another not-so-pleasant WTO sanction. They have no recourse, other than magically finding some Al Qaeda cells in small Caribbean countries... and not even this bunch of right-wing sociopaths in the White House would try that (I hope).
Old 06-20-2007, 05:46 PM

Heck I agree, Gregaton. You are absolutely right. And the only other alternative that the US has is to leave the WTO. This step would require legislation in Congress and Executive approval. Good luck with that. Right now the politicians cannot agree on anything.
My point is that the judicial action might provide relief quicker than the WTO trade sanction pressure.
How can any US case in WTO against China for violating intellectual property rights proceed with the current situation?
Old 06-20-2007, 05:52 PM

The US leaving the WTO would bring about a gloabal economic collapse that would make The Great Depression seem like a free weekend at Sandals.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The US leaving the WTO would bring about a gloabal economic collapse that would make The Great Depression seem like a free weekend at Sandals.

[/ QUOTE ]
Okay, I'm not sure about all that, but there would definitely be consequences.

Like I said, the U.S. will not leave the WTO over some puny amount $3.4 billion, and we sure as hell are not leaving on principle!
Old 06-20-2007, 06:01 PM

At the VERY LEAST, isn't this situation great news for us because it will help sway some members of congress who are either neutral or only somewhat against our objective?

Simply, this shows that criminalizing Internet gambling has a price tag. These ramifications can help sway all but the most staunch moral opponents, who have become more and more isolated in the last six months.

The rest is gravy. It's some damn good, not-from-the-box gravy that gels when it gets cold, but it's still gravy.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Simply, this shows that criminalizing Internet gambling has a price tag. These ramifications can help sway all but the most staunch moral opponents, who have become more and more isolated in the last six months.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I've been trying to say that exact thing for the past few months. Last year, opposing us was free. Hell, even we were giving free cards to draw against us, under various mistaken beliefs. Fighting back is better.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:01 PM

Jay:

Do you have an idea of what Antigua would agree to in negotitians? Do they really want, for example, Utah to sanction internet sports betting for its residents? Or would they take less, and if so, how much less?

It seems to me that Antigua wants the "pie" to be as big as possible because one thing they will have to face, should the US market open up, is increased competition from companies that may not be, or remain, in Antigua. But it is going to take a lot more time and energy to get the US to comply fully with the WTO rulings. In short, I expect Antigua is willing to compromise some. How much?

Also, if the US did work out a deal with Antigua, but it is less than the WTO ruling presribes, would the other countries (EU etc.) that have now also filed for compensation, be obliged to accept it too? Or does the US have to appease these countries seperately?
Old 06-20-2007, 07:34 PM

Without giving away all of Antigua's negotiating points, I will say that they would be willing to exempt Utah and Hawaii since they offer no gaming at all.

They are not willing to walk away fom sports because of some artificial distinction the US makes about sports wagering, while at the same time offering scratchers by the millions.

I'll answer the second part of your question in a little bit.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:53 PM

Thank you.