Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2007, 06:47 PM

Default Re: The movement to remove shortstackers!!!

score one for the good guys!

PokerStars Game #12022273957: Hold'em No Limit ($2/$4) - 2007/09/12 - 18:42:30 (ET)
Table 'Orion III' 9-max Seat #3 is the button
Seat 1: mustanggino ($286 in chips)
Seat 2: BigDel007 ($188 in chips)
Seat 3: Jake Carmel ($308 in chips)
Seat 4: baddassmofo ($158.80 in chips)
Seat 5: monopy ($160 in chips)
Seat 6: mr_ny10 ($64.50 in chips)
Seat 7: kutzz ($163.05 in chips)
Seat 8: 5five5 ($107.90 in chips)
Seat 9: devolve ($390 in chips)
baddassmofo: posts small blind $2
monopy: posts big blind $4
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to devolve [Kd Kc]
mr_ny10: raises $16 to $20
kutzz: folds
5five5: folds
devolve: raises $40 to $60
mustanggino: folds
BigDel007: folds
Jake Carmel: folds
baddassmofo: folds
monopy: folds
mr_ny10: calls $40
*** FLOP *** [7d Jc 6c]
mr_ny10: bets $4.50 and is all-in
devolve: calls $4.50
*** TURN *** [7d Jc 6c] [2d]
*** RIVER *** [7d Jc 6c 2d] [Ks]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
mr_ny10: shows [8d 6h] (a pair of Sixes)
devolve: shows [Kd Kc] (three of a kind, Kings)
devolve collected $132 from pot

I requested time on the flop. Also, look the the stack sizes here. They are like zombies taking over!
Old 09-12-2007, 06:51 PM

Thinking about it some, I realise that there are quite a lot bad/fish shortstackers. Altho I hate the SS-regulars, maybe increasing the rathole-timelimit instead of the min-buyin is better for the game overall.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:05 PM

Here's the worst play I made today. Missed an easy squeeze.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (7 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

MP1 ($678.45)
MP2 ($254.10)
CO ($311.15)
Button ($543.60)
SB ($200)
Hero ($37)
UTG ($29)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to $8</font>, MP2 calls $8, CO calls $8, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls $7, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($34) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets $10</font>, CO folds, SB folds, MP1 folds.

Final Pot: $34
Old 09-12-2007, 07:14 PM

NL10 on party is full of short stackers, the majority of tables have 50% or more seats filled with people buying in for $2. While this aggrivates me a bit I think removing them is a bad idea. Outside the US poker is becoming more popular and thats a good thing; I think imposing rules on how much people should be willing to bring to a table would scare away people who want to try it out on the cheap which has got to be bad in the long run. I'm happy to let people try it out for cheap because if they get a taste for it they'll start playing for more $$$, becoming the meat for the bottom feeders of the future (eg. me)
Old 09-12-2007, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll admit I'm ambivalent here.

Yes, ratholers are annoying. However, the vast majority of shortstackers are horrible and not the kind of players I want to chase away. I think these players are much more likely to drop down in stakes than to buy-in with a bigger stack.

You also need to consider the meta-effects on a level. Right now Stars tables average maybe 2 shortstackers per table. Eliminating them would mean 22% less tables. Eliminating that many tables means more 12-tabling TAG regs per table and a lower fish:shark ratio. In effect, you'd be trading the shortstacks at your table for TAGs.

Is that what you really want to do?

I think there's a lot of selective memory going on here. You remember the handfull of good shortstackers and the times shortstackers put you in tough positions. But you forget all the times bad shortstackers hand you free money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quoted for excellence. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

There's a lot of good commentary in this thread, but I think CMAR really nailed it above. Other posters have mentioned that this is a much bigger issue at mid-high- and high-stakes, but I'm not there yet so I can't comment on it. In SSNL, I find it mildly annoying... but at least 4 times out of 5 I'm thinking "right on, easy money just sat in" rather than "damn, another shortstacker." And if they do get me, then I just focus that much harder on making them leave with nothing. (ratholers, otoh, should diagf)

We play online in part for table selection. If it's that big of an issue for you, change tables. It's not like we have a finite number of choices at these stakes.

I also really believe what others have pointed out regarding players' "rights" to employ whatever strategy they choose. As a former limit player who was forced to see the light (ty poker gods), one of the many great things about NL is that there are lots of ways to skin the cat. Stats are useful tools and all, but the only one that really matters is winrate. We all know that only a handful of these guys are winning, so that's that.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've done it live before
and I hit and run there

wait the 2 hours...do it again

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking about doing this in vegas, double up, walk across the street, double up, walk across the street.

[/ QUOTE ]

A buddy of mine said this strategy worked quite well, up and down the strip. Switching rooms also serves as a nice 15-min break.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've done it live before
and I hit and run there

wait the 2 hours...do it again

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking about doing this in vegas, double up, walk across the street, double up, walk across the street.

[/ QUOTE ]

A buddy of mine said this strategy worked quite well, up and down the strip. Switching rooms also serves as a nice 15-min break.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, if it ever came to this it might be time to reexamine your priorities...sad stuff.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:53 PM

I'm talking about Tuesday at 2pm, asshat, not the weekend when the tourists make playing one table all night the way to go.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:56 PM

Hey goofy, relax. Not trying to start something with you. Just mentioning the obvious. It's hard to argue that it's not a super-cheese move. Nothing personal to your mobile friend.
Old 09-12-2007, 08:10 PM

I'd venture to say everyone on this forum is playing poker for the money even if that is only 5% of the reason you play. If the way to maximize the money you make is shortstacking then why wouldn't you do it?