Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2007, 10:28 AM

Default Re: watching someone else overtip

This was more of a joke. I would never say anything. Its not my business. I was more so trying to compare it to a post i made 2 up from that one regarding Jesus/Yang thread. Trust me ive been in tipping positions and would never tell someone what to do/not do with their $$.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but I bet if someone stiffs a dealer no one says anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

You dont ever play with me then. I worked for 5 years for tips and my roommate pays half the rent as a dealer working for tips. If you consistantly stiff the dealer you will hear more and more comments from me. I like looking at the dealer and saying things like "Here is a dollar since seat 7 doesnt think you want to have dinner tomorrow." Or "Do you have kids? Well, unlike seat 7, I hope they have a good birthday here is $2."
Old 08-07-2007, 11:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You dont ever play with me then. I worked for 5 years for tips and my roommate pays half the rent as a dealer working for tips. If you consistantly stiff the dealer you will hear more and more comments from me. I like looking at the dealer and saying things like "Here is a dollar since seat 7 doesnt think you want to have dinner tomorrow." Or "Do you have kids? Well, unlike seat 7, I hope they have a good birthday here is $2."

[/ QUOTE ]

These statements sound really condescending toward the dealer.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The issue in this thread is: Are we players allowed to give advice to other players on tipping issues or must we shut up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point Brad, I think this is the direction the thread should take.

Solicited advice - yes, there is nothing wrong with advising a player how top tip when the player solicits advice from others at the table. It may make the dealer feel uncomfortable, but I do believe this is something that should be allowed and encouraged.

Unsolicited advice... thats a gray area in the situation i described above, it would be considered an offense at the Mirage in Vegas if your advice is to not tip the dealer (I don't know what the policy is for advising to lower the tip, I'll ask next time i am there), but generally its my opinion that the players should not offer unsolicited advice.

The next question is - how do you deal with players who offer unsolicited advice on tipping? I don't think there is much that can be done.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dealers making money off of ignorance is somewhat unethical...

[/ QUOTE ]

TT:

I'm clearly new here, but I have to ask (with respect):

Isn't this what we all (try) to do, every time we play? Make money from the ignorant?
Old 08-07-2007, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dealers making money off of ignorance is somewhat unethical...

[/ QUOTE ]

TT:

I'm clearly new here, but I have to ask (with respect):

Isn't this what we all (try) to do, every time we play? Make money from the ignorant?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) I am not the guy who said that, you should be asking Brad.

2) I guess you can say players make money off ignorance (although as you play bigger this becomes less true), however dealers make money based on a service they perform for the players, they are not players (while they are dealing) and therefore your statement doesn't apply in this situation.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless this person is being a real jerk about it, you should keep your yap shut.

Who knows, he may feel he got screwed by some dealer(s) in there and doesn't feel like tipping them.

In fact, if you repeatedly harrassed him this way you'd deserve to have the floor called.

b
Old 08-07-2007, 12:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dealers making money off of ignorance is somewhat unethical, and dealers coming here encouraging us to keep quiet about what amounts to a little money making scam on ignorant players is not right.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please. Winning players benefit from ignorance all the time. Why shouldn't dealers?

b
Old 08-07-2007, 12:56 PM

I usually make some sort of cocky remark when I 'tip' for the cheapskates who stiff the dealer, but as it was stated, some of THOSE remarks can be a bit condescending to the dealer.

If mostly all the players are stiffing, I'll usually just toss a few dollars at the end of a dealer's down, and say 'that's for all the tight asses who didn't tip you when they won nice pots during your down' ... Doesn't put the dealer down and doesn't single out any particular cheapskate, unless he was the one winning all the pots.
Old 08-07-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've long thought it was somewhat inconsistent that players are allowed to take money off of the table to tip dealers, waitresses, or chip runners, but not to put in their pocket. I personally don't really care, because it's usually only 1 or 2 dollars, and I only play recreationally, however, when a tip becomes excessively large AND it comes from the players stack (vice his wallet) it affects the other players at the table. For the "it's his money, he can do whatever he wants with it" crowd, I think in order to be intellectually honest and still defend this position one must be willing to allow the player to rat-hole, give the money to his wife to go play craps, or any other "whatever he wants." If the player got out his wallet and handed the dealer a $100 bill every time he won a pot, it would be a different matter all together. It is the fact that it comes off of the table that makes it any of another player's concern. Having said all that, I don't say anything to players when they "over tip," but that's because I don't feel strongly about it. I just think it's an interesting idea to think about and discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gipper makes some EXCELLENT points here. We all know to notify the dealer and/or floor if we see any ratholing going on and we certainly wouldn't let anyone take a significant amount of money off the table to give to a spouse/friend/whatever to go play somewhere else, but I never really looked at the angle of all the money that DOES leave the table for stuff besides dealer tips. I remember when I would order food at the table at the Trop and routinely just pay for it in chips - up to $10 at times. I even remember getting a 20 min massage AT the table ($20) and handing her red chips (plus a few whites for a tip) as a payment - there's $24 leaving my stack right there. Drinks (tips), cigarettes, etc ... all were paid for out of people's stacks at one point or another yet players never really notice it. And huge pots where you may tip $10-20 out of your winnings as well. Hmmm - makes you really think about the whole situation - there is considerable money leaving the table for reasons OTHER than betting.

Interesting thread ...