Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2007, 09:35 PM

Default Re: Official TRANSFORMERS Thread

[ QUOTE ]
I more or less enjoyed it the movie given i was expecting a big dumb popcorn movie with explosions, and it did that pretty well.

Various observations:
In most action movies, the black guy always dies first, or is the only one to die. In this its simply the transformer voiced by a black guy.

The pretty blond girl who is apparently super smart is working very high up in the American government and is apparently like 18, but is Australian? WTF?

Shia Lebeof is much faster than any robot, even when carrying a giant cube.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, shades of Denise Richards' superhotty nuclear physicist in the Bond flick.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

John Tuturro (supposedly a secret gov't agency head, but he plays it almost like the crazy butler in Mister Deeds)

[/ QUOTE ]

This was the one really weak part of the movie IMO. The character was played really really really weird. In fact I think the movie sorta fell apart for a while as soon as sector 7 showed up.

Also didn't like how the army was able to hurt the trasnformers with certain types of ammo.

But I'm just nitpicking, the movie kicked all kinds of ass and starscream was truly sick.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:35 AM

-The robot parts were awesome.

-Some of the human parts were so terrible it makes me wonder who thought they would be a good idea. (The part with J.Turturro's undershirt for example.)

-It was about 30 min. too long. I think we could have cut some of the pussyfooting around and the silly Shia and his family moments.

-Girl is super smoking hot but looked too much like Vicky Valencourt in a few scenes.

-I did not understand what happened at the end for some reason. I guess I missed where what happened when you put the thing in the thing was involuntary. (Trying to be spoiler free.)

-Cunnclusion: worth seeing for the robot joxing but pretty disappointing overall. The screaming and yelling human characters constantly going for cheap laughs got old fast and ruined what was otherwise a decent sci-fi flick. Two stars out of five imo.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:38 AM

Default Re: Transformers pre-screen factoid report

[ QUOTE ]
Saw a pre-screening of Transformers last night. I'm too lazy to write a full-blown trip report, so here are various factoids I noted:

1. Megan Fox is ridiculously scorching-hot. Never heard of her before Transformers.

2. Favorite Transformers were Bumblebee & Starscream. Starscream is mostly cool because there are some sequences when he transforms to/from jet to robot in combat in mid-air. Bumblebee gets some pretty cool action sequences and he initially can't talk, so he has to change radio stations to express things. But, its weird that by restricting him that way, he turns out to be one of the more interesting/fun characters.

3. I think a lot of the action shots are shot too close up, like when Optimus & Megatron are fighting hand-to-hand (why would super-advanced robots fight this way?) its hard to tell what's happening because you're viewing it from such an up-close perspective.

4. The humans' dialogue/performances are campy and really pop-culture/quippy. It was a bit much for me to enjoy them all. The Transformers' dialogue is really dorky (esp. Optimus. "Humans are a young species, we must protect them. They deserve the chance to make their own fate") Not that you go to a movie like this for great dialogue, but Optimus is supposed to be this hardboiled, tough general but his character is much truer to the cartoon version.

5. The movie is strangely-paced. There are moments when things seem really tense and then the action dissolves and then there are narrative sequences and then action again.

6. Some goofy casting choices with Anthony Anderson (supposedly a superhacker), Rachael Taylor (also super-hot, and a math/crypto genius by trade) and John Tuturro (supposedly a secret gov't agency head, but he plays it almost like the crazy butler in Mister Deeds)

I probably wouldn't see it again, but it wasn't terrible. I would try to rein in any great expectations; unlike what i thought would be the case, the live-action robots were actually the least of the movie's issues.

[/ QUOTE ]
I should have read this first. He said what I wanted to say but better.
Old 07-04-2007, 01:50 AM

Thought it was very big screen entertaining. No oscars here but just sit back and enjoy. I want to go buy some toys now.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:07 AM

Pretty good movie. I had really low expectations for it so that was probably a factor. I thought the previews looked terrible, but my nephew wanted to go see it so whatever. I thought the dialogue of the robots was not great except for optimus and bumblebee who spoke by using the radio, but it shouldnt be a problem. The robots spoke like once outside the battle scenes. If people are bothered by the 1 damn line each had then people need to get their heads out of their own behinds. Its one line per robot people, if it wasnt funny or catchy or something most wouldnt remember their lines or care about the robots. Overall it was a good movie.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
80% Fresh Rating at Rotten Tomatoes. Obviously, this is more than anyone expected out of a simple Transformers movie by Michael Bay. link

[/ QUOTE ]

59% now (still decent [imho])

Also, I thought this came out 7/4... wtf? how are you guys seeing this? trrnts?
Old 07-04-2007, 05:15 AM

Please tell me they included the power balad from the cartoon movie. YOU'VE GOT THE TOUCH... OMG I STILL GET PUMPED THINKING ABOUT THAT.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:26 AM

I thought it was terrible, but a couple of friends that I went to see it with thought it was great.
Old 07-04-2007, 05:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I thought this came out 7/4... wtf? how are you guys seeing this? trrnts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think they moved up the date or something. A few 2p2ers and I went to see Live Free or Die Hard last night in Vegas and behind the guy taking tickets is a poster that said 7/4 for Transformers. As we rounded the corner we saw that it was currently playing in an adjacent theater. We ended up seeing both.

If you have low expectations Transformers does not disappoint and is actually a pleasant surprise. I still think they went the [censored] Alien vs Predator route and worked way too much human drama [censored] into the movie when it should have been primarily robots tearing eachother apart.

Also, the love interest broad is smoking hot. She looks like a younger hotter Jennifer Connelly in this IMO.