Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-2007, 01:46 AM

Default Re: The Bourne Ultimatum

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

But the movies have diverged off onto completely different storyline since 30 minutes into the first one, so at this point they are really just borrowing the book names anyway. If Ultimatum is a big enough hit, they can always make more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yes but in their defense, if I recall correctly from the two decades or so ago when I read the books, the original story was more spy vs spy and heavily involved the KGB. Not sure they could translate it very literally.

J

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember a heavy KGB hand at all and even if there was they can easily find a way around that. Hell the second book took place mostly in China which would be quite relevant today. Carlos was the Bourne antagonist in the first and third. Not spy vs. spy so much as assassin vs. assassin.

Bourne tries getting Carlos on the boat in the first one, and I can't remember what exactly happens but I think he was shot in the head or something, hence amnesia. Everyone's coming after him, but Carlos was his main target in the first while he's fighting to keep Treadstone from killing him. He finds out he's David Webb at the end of this one.

Supremacy has he and Marie married, Marie gets captured, he goes to China to get her back. Carlos doesn't really show up.

Ultimatum he's got a kid with Marie. Carlos again.

Rename "Jason Bourne" as "Robert Pointe" and retitle the movies and not one person who's read the books would make the connection.

- C -
Old 08-04-2007, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

But the movies have diverged off onto completely different storyline since 30 minutes into the first one, so at this point they are really just borrowing the book names anyway. If Ultimatum is a big enough hit, they can always make more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yes but in their defense, if I recall correctly from the two decades or so ago when I read the books, the original story was more spy vs spy and heavily involved the KGB. Not sure they could translate it very literally.

J

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember a heavy KGB hand at all and even if there was they can easily find a way around that. Hell the second book took place mostly in China which would be quite relevant today. Carlos was the Bourne antagonist in the first and third. Not spy vs. spy so much as assassin vs. assassin.

Bourne tries getting Carlos on the boat in the first one, and I can't remember what exactly happens but I think he was shot in the head or something, hence amnesia. Everyone's coming after him, but Carlos was his main target in the first while he's fighting to keep Treadstone from killing him. He finds out he's David Webb at the end of this one.

Supremacy has he and Marie married, Marie gets captured, he goes to China to get her back. Carlos doesn't really show up.

Ultimatum he's got a kid with Marie. Carlos again.

Rename "Jason Bourne" as "Robert Pointe" and retitle the movies and not one person who's read the books would make the connection.

- C -

[/ QUOTE ]

C,

Agree about the lack of connection.

Regarding the books, I really can't recall. I seem to remember some heavy cold war [censored] going on and regarding terms, I agree that assassin v assassin may be more accurate but only with the condition that they are "state sponsored" assassins.

I seem to remember a really bad but accurate adaptation of the first book. It's too bad that this series effectively kills the potential of a properly done adaptation.

J
Old 08-04-2007, 02:05 AM

Is this thread spoiler free? I saw it last night and it was sick, but I had been waiting on it to come out as the first 2 are some of my favorite movies ever. I really hated the people that applauded every 10 min throughout the movie though. It was probably like 1/3 of the theater, which is more than I had ever seen before. Definitely a sick movie and I think I'm gonna go see it again tomorrow with a different group of friends.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:53 AM

It was more of the same. Its Bourne, so thats not a bad thing, but rather passable instead of exceptional. Kind of had a little of the money machine vibe to it, right down to the rehash of name actors from the first movies, just slightly tired plot overall. And yes, the jerky camera during action and especially fight scenes is enormously annoying. I think the first two were better but this one was still decent overall.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:20 PM

I saw this last night at the drive-in. Nothing wildly different from the first two, if you liked them you will like #3. I will say that the rooftop action sequence in the middle seemed to go on forever. Also, the super-quick-cutting fight sequence that ends in the bathroom (Damon vs. "Desh"(?)) was impossible to follow and just made my head hurt. I loved the part when Damon said "we'd be having this meeting face-to-face"...classic. Overall pretty good.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:51 PM

Saw this last night and agree with the consensus- if you enjoyed the previous two you'll enjoy this one. really good action scenes. i enjoyed it.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:43 PM

spoiler:
<font color="white"> My two favorite parts of the movie were when Bourne calls the guy from the guy's office and when Bourne suddenly starts swimming at the end. The very end was amazingly well done. The best scene in the movie was at the beginning when he's guiding the guy to avoid the CIA</font>
Old 08-04-2007, 03:51 PM

I'm so pissed off at the trailer, it gave away all of the events leading up to the NYC action scene. Why?
Old 08-04-2007, 05:11 PM

just got back from it. all i can say is just awesome. loved every part of it.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
casting Damon for this was a really excellent decision - I can't think of anyone who would've been better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly the hardest decision to make though - "right, so we have this assassin" ... "and assassins are emotionless; so who should we get?" ... 'matt damon' 'matt damon' 'matt damon' 'matt damon' "right."