Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 03:26 PM

Default Re: I found $100 left in ATM

I had this happen once at a bank, and I took the money inside and as I was standing in line waiting for a teller some guy came in frantically saying he forgot his cash in the ATM. He seemed dumbfounded that I actually was in the process of returning it.

At some random 3rd party ATM, I dunno what I'd do, Id prolly try and contact what ever number was on it and tell them the time of my transaction and what happened.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:42 PM

NoodleMan,

Point taken, but what I was referring to is possessing someone else's property. Regardless of whether it is cash or a Visa card, it's not mine and I would like to think I'd do what I could to return it to its owner.

As for your comment about the non-cash stuff, agreed. I once lost my wallet, I was youngish and only had maybe $20 in it (as opposed to the hundos that I light my crack pipe with these days LDO) and someone took the cash and apparently dropped it in a mailbox because it ended up getting mailed to me, heh.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't think of anything to say except...

I think it's marvelous.
Old 09-24-2007, 03:54 PM

baaallllllllliiiiiinnnnnnnnnn

it could be a trap from a reality tv show, and if u call the bank they will be like "congratulations sir, you win our 1 million dollar prize for being honest."

but id just spend that [censored].
Old 09-24-2007, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For those who believe that returning the money to its rightful owner is simple and easy, please describe the process by which it's going to happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Call phone number on side of ATM
2. Explain
3. They almost certainly have a process for fixing this
4. ????
5. Don't profit
Old 09-24-2007, 08:12 PM

Well built atms actually suck the money or debit cards back in. The cards are easy to give back if its the same bank because they have your info on file. When the atm is refilled it will have too much money by the amount left in the dispenser and if someone comes to claim the money they just verify the transaction.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well built atms actually suck the money or debit cards back in. The cards are easy to give back if its the same bank because they have your info on file. When the atm is refilled it will have too much money by the amount left in the dispenser and if someone comes to claim the money they just verify the transaction.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm about 99% sure you just pulled this out of your ass.

Next time I'm at a 3rd party ATM, i'm going to call the number on the side and pretend this situation occurred.

My prediction is that their response begins with "uhhhhhh", includes "so wait, you didn't lose the money, you want to return someone else's money?" and ends with "i'm sorry, but i can't give you that information".
Old 09-24-2007, 09:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, this sounds made up.

years ago my mom tried to w/draw money from the ATM at her bank. she entered to w/draw $60 (or whatever) and no money came out but the transaction occurred as if it had. her bank acct was also charged the money.

she called the bank and had to deal w/ them for 2 weeks or so w/ several phone calls. the guy she spoke w/ didnt believe her and kept putting her off. she finally got the money but it wasnt because the guy balanced the machine, he was just tired of hearing from her. im sure a 3rd party ATM will have 0 motivation to balance their machine for a customer.

ps noah, when you going to change that avatar?
Old 09-24-2007, 09:25 PM

Noah don't be so quick to jump down this guy's throat. He's generally right. Most ATMs have cassettes of cash inside of them. When they are re-filled, a full cassette is exchanged for the partially-empty one. The bank or servicing agent reviews the transaction log and reconciles that with the amount left in the cassette.

It would be *extremely* unusual for there to be *more* cash in the cassette than the log shows. The more common problem, unfortunately for the bank, is there being less in the cassette than there should be, reflecting in most cases some kind of theft. In any event, if someone called and said they left their $ in the cash machine, and the cassette reconciliation agreed, I would suspect that the bank ultimately would give the caller the money (assuming it was an ATM that took the money back if not taken within X time period).
Old 09-24-2007, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know that many ATMs at a bank pull your card back in if you leave it there, but I don't know about cash. It happened to my mother actually.