Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 01:12 AM

Default Re: Learning to eat everything

Shellfish - Overcooked shellfish is a tragedy. It turns rubbery and chewy.

Try lots of butter or cocktail sauce to get acclamated.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:14 AM

i like nearly everything mentioned in this thread.

the only thing i will not eat is fish that's non-white.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:15 AM

el d,
Have you been to this Japanese sushi place Sawa Sushi in Sunnyvale? I've heard amazing things about the place from friends that have been there. I personally haven't had the chance to visit yet. They tell me that there's no menu you just tell the chef what you want. The food is amazing but a bit pricey. Maybe you could give urchin and other seafood a try over there.

I've never been a fan of:
-Tomatoes
-Eggplant
-Avocado (is it just me?)
-Lamb
-Crab eggs (Is there a name? It's the yellow things inside the shell)

I have recently grown on Mexican food since coming to college couple of years ago. Wow did I regret not discovering that earlier. I'm going to have to drive down to SD during break for some nice Mexican food. Recs?
Old 03-14-2007, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]

-Crab eggs (Is there a name? It's the yellow things inside the shell)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is called roe. I also do not like it - it's like solid cholesterol. Very rich and the flavor is just too intense.

I'm kind of amused by a lot of recommendations in this thread (including my own). Basically, you can like anything if you either: A) Deepfry it, or B) Mix it with so many other nice tasting things that you're barely eating the original ingredient. Also, I like all the posters saying, "I'm not picky, but I don't eat. . .[insert gigantic category of food]" Just entertaining. For people who don't like things that are fairly commonly enjoyed (like eggs, tomatoes, that kind of thing) was there something specific that turned you off? I have to assume you were exposed to these things as a child - just don't like them or something more specific?
Old 03-14-2007, 01:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
--Bell pepper - this, to me, just has an overpowering taste that wipes out the flavor of anything it's cooked with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally agree here. But I could eat them like apples and enjoy them quite a bit. Or in a salad: yum.

KJS

[/ QUOTE ]

See, for me, I can't even eat them raw in salads, let alone like an apple. It's just a binary yes/no in my mind, and I'm a NO! In fact, it's worse if they're raw. On a way-overcooked pizza, or something like that, I can get past them.

As for shellfish, as that's got people talking in this thread, I really think that's the same way. Either you like it, or you don't. Especially oysters. If, when you eat the very first one of your life, you hit some transcendental state, then you're an oyster fan. If you want to spit it out, as some slimy piece of goo, you're not.

I'm a fan, and always will be. I took my then 11-year old brother out for lunch a few years back, and he ordered oysters (he's another adventurous eater already). He ate one, his eyes lit up, and he said, 'Wow, I LOVE these.' He's hooked, and always will be.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

As for shellfish, as that's got people talking in this thread, I really think that's the same way. Either you like it, or you don't. Especially oysters. If, when you eat the very first one of your life, you hit some transcendental state, then you're an oyster fan. If you want to spit it out, as some slimy piece of goo, you're not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, it took me a little while to like oysters. There is a HUGE difference between good fresh oysters and generic fried oysters though.

For those in this thread who don't like shellfish or seafood, were you exposed to these as kids much? Were they a part of your native cuisine (or are most of you Caucasian?) Just wondering, because it seems that a lot of people learn to appreciate things later in life, but it's easier if you've had it before. Of course, others in this thread have never learned to like certain foods, so it's certainly not 100%.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:49 AM

ElD,

"
Crab - Similar feelings to lobster. I have had crab meat in various stuff and it's fine, I just don't love it as much as others. Also seems like a lot of effort when you're working with whole crabs. I think I'm gonna try the classic San Francisco vietnamese garlic crab. Also during Dungeness crab season, tons of nice restaurants feature it, so I'll give that a try too. Any other crab stuff I should try?"

Finding really tasty crap dishes is tough. The only places where I have enjoyed it is in marina type restaurants on vacation (best was in Jamaica). As to the other shell fish, I'm not too crazy about them either. But well cooked crab is really work finding imo.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:20 AM

I grew up in a seafood town (Newport/Middletown R.I.) and over the years I've become convinced lobster, crab meat, clams and and other shellfish are about the most overrated food on the planet. In the case of the lobster and many shellfish the custom is to drown it in melted butter. Well, it seams almost anything meat, veggie or bread-like drowned in butter would taste good. IOW, lobster/crab/shellfish by itself is pretty mediocre and way overpriced.

Regarding whiskey, try your basic Jack Daniels on the rocks and let it sit a bit. With a little ice melt it goes down like candy.

~ Rick
Old 03-14-2007, 02:33 AM

7: No, I never ever had shellfish growing up.

hanster: "Tomatoes" - try some heirloom tomatoes, slice them up, put some salt pepper and olive oil on them. "Avocado" - I assume this includes guacamole. Hmmm, not much I can say here except try again, because it is delicious! "Lamb" - try some lamb at a greek place. or a nice lamb shank. or lamb chops. hmmm, wait a sec, lamb is great in every variety. i think you should try a greek or middle eastern preparation that is kind of heavy on the spices, because the meat itself can be a little too strong a flavor for some people.

matt: "Bell pepper" - try grilling or roasting bell pepper until it gets soft and sweet and a little charred. this really elimnates that overpowering taste. "Squash" - try some butternut squash soup. "Brussel sprouts" coat w/ some olive oil and spices and then roast until blackened and crispy. Ruth Reichel's Garlic and Sapphires has a good recipe, I'll look it up.

KJS: Mushrooms, don't know where to start, they are so great. How about mushrooms on a pizza from your favorite pizza place? Or a nice deli mushroom soup? A lot of more exotic mushrooms are extra delicious.

B: "sweet potato" - wow. i mean, hmmm... candied yams or sweet potatoes? come on, man, how can you not like them? "blue cheese" - put some gorgonzola or blue cheese crumbles on some kettle potato chips. melt in microwave for 30-45 seconds. trust me, give it a try, once! "rice pudding/tapioca" next time you see rice pudding at a nice restaurant, give it a try.

mia: scallops are delicious in just about every form. bacon wrapped of course is especially great. they are one of my favorite foods.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:43 AM

El D,

The only things on your original list that I'm not into are blue cheese and whiskey.

Oysters - I just got into these recently. I don't think you've had really good oysters...I was pretty meh about them until I had a really fresh oyster, but that was what turned me on to them. Good oysters taste fresher than anything.

Mussels - again, somewhat limited experience, but when i had moules/frites in Paris it was really really awesome. Then again, I had really really bad mussels in Brussels. There's a lot of variance. Good mussels are meaty, flavorful, delicious. Bad...stringy, flavorless, mush.

Lobster - kinda bland imo. I mean, texture is nice and all, but I'm never blown away by it, and consistently prefer steak. Crab is more flavorful but also more of a pain in the ass.

Pickles - I'm with you man, I didn't like them as a kid and I can't get into them now.

Things I still have problems with that, so far as I know, have not been mentioned:

Tunafish: ugh. Hated this as a kid, and I can't get into it now. Tuna is so good raw...why cook it?

Cheese (unmelted): Probably my biggest stopping point right now. I've tried brie, and it's alright, but I'm never going for seconds or anything. The only cheese I like, unmelted, is mozzarella. Any recommendations?

Pate - never tried it, even though it's been offered to me on multiple occasions. Am I missing out?