Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2007, 05:40 PM

Default Re: A PSA concerning staking / exposing a scammer

Coulda been Worse [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]You coulda backed Bones in the STTF-USP [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Wrong skit. Tyrone Biggums prefers crack.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea, you're right. The joke is still the same though [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-19-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Coulda been Worse [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]You coulda let SFB arrange your -EV staking deal for Bones in the STTF-USP [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

We're such action junkies. AT least we bet on the right horse.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:34 PM

I can't wait for the attempted justification/apology....
Old 04-19-2007, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sorry he's from TX not Pitt...Let's give him a few days to be fair.

[/ QUOTE ]

me and inyaface are driving through texas in less than a month... and i kill people.

also id like to say that i was one of the first people to openly make fun of how lame 'straight flushes' is... you cant trust someone who talks like that [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

sorry wiggs, [censored] situation man.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't wait for the attempted justification/apology....

[/ QUOTE ]
I think Degen (GauchoFish) might have some input on this. Search for Irieguy's thread from a couple of years ago.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:00 PM

I've had numerous experiences staking people from this forum. In theory, I'm 95% sure that each individual stake was very +ev for me, given how sure I was that they were winners in the games they played. It somehow played out differently though. One person, who will remain nameless, lost what seemed to be half of the stake and I think cashed out the rest. He originally made some references to paying me back, but it's been over a year and I've long since written the money off. TBH, the disappointment was greater than the financial loss for me.

Some of you may remember sethmoney from here. He was a regular poster and member of the community. Had a bunch of posts and acquaintences on the boards. He asked me for a stake one day and even wrote up a very long, detailed prospectus, which he emailed me, which included his stats over a large sample and some personal information. I was very seriously considering it, but I didn't wanna tie up like 3k at the time since I was just starting to play 109s. A few weeks later, he stiffed Yugo out of 2k in a prop bet. He ended up becoming a well-known scammer and I believe stiffed someone on a money exchange as recently as a couple months ago. This is a prime example that even though someone posts a lot, you need to be really careful when considering financial dealings with someone you don't personally know.

I've had a few positive experiences in staking, and I'd still stake someone that I know very well. But I definitely don't recommend it for those who aren't prepared to lose the stake. Unfortunately some people's word is worth less than a few buyins.

Ps: Don't PM me asking for a stake.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:08 PM

lol at staking people in SNGs. Staking people in highcarding on the other hand, very +$EV...

I guess staking is somewhat like being a lender to "high risk" borrower with no collateral, buying junk bonds, etc. - there's always some risk of complete default, and yet it may still be worth it from a $EV standpoint in the long-run.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:13 PM

I would NEVER stake anyone in SnGs. If you are good enough to be staked in SnGs, you should be good enough to build up a bankroll playing $6's or $16s in about 1-2 months maximum, without much variance. Anyone who doesn't have the discipline or the skill to do that definitely doesn't deserve to be sitting around playing $60s, $125s.

Stuff like MTT's are a totally different story because of the ridiculous variance and high buyins. But you really don't need that much money to play $60s. If you don't have it theres probably a reason why.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've had numerous experiences staking people from this forum. In theory, I'm 95% sure that each individual stake was very +ev for me, given how sure I was that they were winners in the games they played. It somehow played out differently though. One person, who will remain nameless, lost what seemed to be half of the stake and I think cashed out the rest. He originally made some references to paying me back, but it's been over a year and I've long since written the money off. TBH, the disappointment was greater than the financial loss for me.

Some of you may remember sethmoney from here. He was a regular poster and member of the community. Had a bunch of posts and acquaintences on the boards. He asked me for a stake one day and even wrote up a very long, detailed prospectus, which he emailed me, which included his stats over a large sample and some personal information. I was very seriously considering it, but I didn't wanna tie up like 3k at the time since I was just starting to play 109s. A few weeks later, he stiffed Yugo out of 2k in a prop bet. He ended up becoming a well-known scammer and I believe stiffed someone on a money exchange as recently as a couple months ago. This is a prime example that even though someone posts a lot, you need to be really careful when considering financial dealings with someone you don't personally know.

I've had a few positive experiences in staking, and I'd still stake someone that I know very well. But I definitely don't recommend it for those who aren't prepared to lose the stake. Unfortunately some people's word is worth less than a few buyins.

Ps: Don't PM me asking for a stake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, people have to ask themselves, "if I wanted to scam internet players out of a few thousand $$, what would be the best way to go about it?" Probably to build relationships and trust over a period of time, maybe even involving the exchange of $$ (see, I pay back what I owe when it comes to smaller $$, now trust me with bigger $$ and I'll scam you then).

I think knowing people face-to-face, and knowing people in common (in real life) with the person you're staking probably helps create more of a social detriment to getting stiffed (vs. them just losing their internet friends on 2+2)

Also, when it comes to gamblers, I think some people don't start out intending to scam, just the temptation is just to great when they've blown through their $$ and it's easy to get more from someone they won't ever see in their life. Heck, some poker players have made a career out of doing that to people they do have to see in real life. C'mon 7/11...