Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2007, 02:16 AM

Default Re: I\'m 6\'4 120lbs...no joke...help?

[ QUOTE ]
you could just drink some olive oil throughout the day, like a half shot glass full at a time. you know like a whiskey shot i thinkn is an ounce.

[/ QUOTE ]

This may actually result in weight loss; there's a whole diet devoted to it (the Shangri-La Diet - developed by some economist actually).

Would be fairly humorous.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:18 AM

I am in much the same situation, as you, except my dangerously low weight is the result of a genetic condition. I am 6'7 and 177 pounds. I have been trying to gain weight since birth, at that point I was 1 pound. I have always heard that eating alot coupled with isometric exercise is the right formula.

I am soon going to begin the eating portion, but because of my physical infirmities I am not allowed to exercise with any heavy weights. I can run though, for hours, it's weird.

Good luck my friend.

Cam
Old 05-08-2007, 05:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This may actually result in weight loss; there's a whole diet devoted to it (the Shangri-La Diet - developed by some economist actually).

Would be fairly humorous.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean if he drank it with his meals? how could that happen?

if he chugs it between meals I could see if he got diahreah or something.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:39 AM

yeah i skimmed the diet and basically the diet is tasteless olive oil so your body will get calories but not taste them or soemting, I was putting extra virgin oilive oil which does have taste and I was putting it on bread and stuff and then just taking a chug outa the bottle for some extra oil lol.

you could also just butter your food up but I think olive oil is healthier.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah i skimmed the diet and basically the diet is tasteless olive oil so your body will get calories but not taste them or soemting, I was putting extra virgin oilive oil which does have taste and I was putting it on bread and stuff and then just taking a chug outa the bottle for some extra oil lol.

you could also just butter your food up but I think olive oil is healthier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha. No. I'm not taking shots of olive oil. If I'll be taking shots of anything, it'l be something like the concoction guids mentioned. Just a high-protein natural blend of crap.

Today is the first time I'll be counting calories all day.

I will be taking before/after full body shots. After thinking about it last night, I've seen the potential value of documenting my experience. If I were to keep a blog with detail about my diet/exercise and market it well, its likely that I could eventually end up sponsored, and could profit from the whole deal too...sort of a reverse-subway-Jerry.

I'm not sure about the specific program...but my target weight is going to be around 180. I'll still be skinny, but I like being a bit skinny.

I havent developed a program for myself yet. This next week will help me determine just how many calories I can consume in a day. It will also give me time to browse through some programs that I would like to try.

The first change I'm making is to find a more suitable protein shake. Currently, mine is high-protein low-calorie, which probably isnt doing me a whole lot of good (the milk is probably helping more than the powder).

I'll be maintaining the same amount of activity I currently have, which is just a 1-2 mile jog/walk in the morning. I wont be increasing my exercise until I start seeing some regular gains.

Updates to follow, but I wont be starting a blog or progress thread or anything for at least a week.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:37 AM

Ordered some Cyto Gainer powder.

Hope it tastes ok. Seemed to be the most legit brand under the "Weight Gain" section. All of the better-tasting powders that you all suggested in the FAQ thread were fairly low calorie, and probably not what I needed.

If you do some shopping you can really work yourself a deal (I'm not soliciting here...just trying to explain how others can put together this deal and save some $...Delete if it is against rules)

In this thread at FatWallet
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/mess...17&start=0
It explains how to get free shipping for all orders of 50$ or more.

At the end of the thread, it also gives 2 coupon codes

$10 off $50, VSC-8020
$15 off $75, VSC-8111
Expires 5/15/07

So I found 2 6lb tubs of Cyto Gainer - chocolate mint and cookies n' cream - which brought my total to 62.34

Applied the 10$ off coupon - 52.34

Free shipping (for following directions on the FW thread) - 52.34

6% fatcash for going through FW (also, see that thread) - 49.20

And 2% miles - 48.20

For a net of 48.20 for 12 lbs of this stuff shipped.

Yeah I know I could have picked up a 12lb bag of cheaper stuff, but the few reviews from actual people I could find say the other brands are thick and nasty.

I searched through this forum, but it doesnt look like anybody has had much to say about this brand - so in 3-10 days I may add a trip report to the FAQ thread.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:06 AM

Why are you using weight gainer?
Old 05-08-2007, 09:53 AM

If you want to gain weight for your body type, you need to start lifting weights. Increase the protien and lift. Work your way up to heavier weights for more 'bulk'. (Less reps) Don't overdo it and get injured.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:34 AM

dude, the only way you will gain weight is if you lift+eat.

eating will be a chore. start with 3000 calories like people said here, then bump it up to 3500, etc. i honestly don't have your body type and my body would have zero trouble gaining weight @ 3500, but you willmost likely need to go higher.

pleeeeease get on a weightlifting routine
Old 05-08-2007, 10:41 AM

Both of the above posts are so wrong it hurts my eyeballs. You won't gain much muscle mass not eating, but by lifting you increase caloric requirements further putting strain on your body for an already incredibly scarce resource. Once you start to gain some weight, bump calories up more and lift some weights starting out. Right now you'll get enough stimulation from walking if you fix your diet.