Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2007, 01:04 AM

Default Re: cbloom\'s log - Rippetoe & Frozen Shoulder

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry, think it was part 1 of that series. Just disregard that post.

[/ QUOTE ]

Word up. Part 1 :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wt423i1w6vs
YouTube - Tommy Kono lecture/ instruction on Olympic Lifting Part 1

it's all about the deadlift, very good, thanks guys.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah sorry I misstyped. Arched back = good, flat back = not good, rounded back = injury time.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why is flat not good? I thought it was a safe position for the vertebrae.

Also, occasionally some dudes will be doing round backed stiffish-leg deadlifts, are those safe? Do you just have to start light to let your body adjust? I'm a little confused on this issue, I've seen arguments for and against round backed dl's.
Old 04-04-2007, 01:21 AM

Dave Draper:
[ QUOTE ]

What is meant by a flat, straight or arched back is this: you are maintaining or slightly accentuating your normal lumbar curve. This means the back is slightly concave when view from the side.

Hands are just shoulder width apart on the bar, with a pronated (knuckles up) grip.

Inhale and lift the chest. Now, while looking forward, begin to pivot from the hips (so as to maintain the normal lumbar curve) and bend forward. Quite naturally, your hips will want to move slightly back (to the rear) as you do this. Don't fight this movement. You should feel a tension in the erectors and especially the glutes and hamstrings throughout the movement.

While you are doing this, the legs are slightly bent and held rigidly in that slightly bent position. This movement should be more accurately called a rigid legged-deadlift, rather than a stiff-legged deadlift, since stiff connotes "straight" to most people and it is emphatically NOT a straight-legged position.

The movement that you are trying to emulate is the movement of one of those "drinking bird" toys...get the picture?

Descend only as far as you can go before you begin to round the back (losing the lumbar curve) or you increase the knee bend. It is not necessary to touch the floor, nor is it recommended, since you tend to relax your form when you contact the floor. Exhale slowly about half way up on the return trip.

During the entire movement, keep your eyes forward. Let your head follow the spine throughout the movement, neither looking up or down. Looking down has a tendency to encourage rounding the back and should be avoided.

Some "authorities" recommend standing on a bench and doing this movement, so that you can drop below the level of the feet. This is bad advice. First off, balance is difficult in this position. Second, unless unusually supple, most people can't stretch that far without rounding the lower back.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 04-04-2007, 01:56 AM

It did take me a while to realize that deadlift is not just like a squat in reverse -- for one, the hips start a touch higher than in an ATG squat. I would definitely revert back to 135 lbs (45 on each side) and work on form. (It's kind of tricky working on deadlift form with the bar only. The other thing you could do is use 25s on each side and rest them on a platform of plates so that the bar is about as level as they would be if 45s were on them. Hope that makes sense.)
Old 04-05-2007, 03:51 PM

Rippetoe - RESET today

I decided to just reset on some of my exercises to fix my form and see if I could get off the hack squat.

Deadlift - 45
Front Squat - 10

I did deadlifts with just a 45 on each side. I'm going to start there for the reset. I think my form was pretty good, the legs are much straighter and the pull is more from the back. It's really hard for me to bend down and grab the weight and have a good arched back, it stretches the hamstrings like crazy. I think that's the correct form. I was thinking of what Dan John says - you push the hips back and keep the back arched and bending over just happens, you don't try to bend over, you're just pushing your hips back.

Front Squat feels really bad with my shoulder, I still can't get my elbows high enough to keep the upper arm horizontal, so I might bail on that but we'll see, I'm gonna try to do it.

After doing those I decided to just bail on doing a full routine and spent the time stretching and working on form and checking my form out in the mirror a lot.

I might try to take some video so you guys can check my form out. There's nobody at my gym here who I trust at all, there are some huge guys but they're total gym rat meat-heads.
Old 04-05-2007, 04:30 PM

cbloom, I've also been meaning to take some videos using my cell phone just to double-check my form. I've got a feeling that the hamstring stretch you're describing might be because you're starting with your hips too high. This would also explain the feeling that you're bending over the bar.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:42 PM

I'm still ramping back up on my reset, trying to make sure my form is right.

Deadlift 70
Front Squat 20
Pendlay Row 20
Bench 55

(x2 +bar)

I didn't reset the Bench and now I'm kind of stuck on that too, I keep doing 55 for 5-4-4 sets, so I guess I have to jump down and try to reset that too. It all feels really hard right now.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:04 AM

cbloom,

Can you put those lifts in std form. Like add them up for us and the bar. You are using kilos or pounds or... Its just very hard to follow your log.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:07 PM

4/12 Rippetoe A

Front Squat 25 = 95x3x5
Bench 45 = 135x3x5
Deadlift 75 = 195x1x5

I was feeling weak so I went ahead and reset my bench down too since I've been stalled at 55 for a while now. Squat and DL are coming back up from the reset a week ago.

I've had several [censored] workouts in a row recently cuz I'm always hung over. I need to [censored] quit drinking.

In other happier news - I was able to throw a football yesterday!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Granted, they were very girly throws, I still can't really get my arm all the way up, but that's a nice step.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:16 PM

Thanks.