Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 02:31 AM

Default Re: MLB- The sh!t is about to hit the fan.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you really think that a players age is irrelevant in whether or not people think the player may use steroids?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fringe players at 25-30 have just as much to gain by using performance enhancers as aging fringe vets 33+.

[/ QUOTE ]
More really, the vets have already reached full pension and drawn a big league salary for far longer.
Old 11-09-2007, 02:59 AM

Why is everyone assuming that the 11 names that will be listed are automatically steroid users?

Read the article:

"No more than 11 players from this year's free-agent class were asked to speak with George Mitchell as part of his investigation into performance-enhancing drugs in baseball, a union official told agents this week."

These are people who spoke to investigators, nothing more. No test results, nothing. That pretty much guarantees Bonds is on the list since everyone knows he was interviewed.

The only reason this is being released is that they wanted prospective teams to know that they may be mentioned, not that they have failed drug tests.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you really think that a players age is irrelevant in whether or not people think the player may use steroids?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fringe players at 25-30 have just as much to gain by using performance enhancers as aging fringe vets 33+.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not arguing against that. What I'm saying has nothing to do with what age bracket of players gains the most benefit from PED. What I'm saying is that when a player past his prime has continued success he is more likely to be brought up in consideration with the steroids debate. This may not be something the "smart SE poster" does or takes into account, but I think its foolish to think that the general baseball fan isn't more inclined to accuse a player in his mid to late 30's of steriods use than a player in his mid to late 20's.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not arguing against that. What I'm saying has nothing to do with what age bracket of players gains the most benefit from PED. What I'm saying is that when a player past his prime has continued success he is more likely to be brought up in consideration with the steroids debate. This may not be something the "smart SE poster" does or takes into account, but I think its foolish to think that the general baseball fan isn't more inclined to accuse a player in his mid to late 30's of steriods use than a player in his mid to late 20's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Our whole little tangent started because you opined that you don't think Pettitte is a user and then said something along the lines of "he's 35 not 42." I said that's a really bad argument in his defense, because I don't think someone's age has much to do with his likelihood of using.

So I don't know exactly how this ended up with you saying it's "foolish to think the general baseball fan..." I made the comment about people on this forum generally being smarter than the average fan because you took issue with someone this this forum making a claim about Pettitte and PEDs.

To respond to what you said in the quote above, yes, I agree that the public has a huge misconception of what a typical steroid user is in baseball. It's mostly fringe players, guys trying to break into the show or staying afloat, and it's mostly pitchers, not hitters. Completely opposite of the idea that all steroid users are big lumbering power hitters.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:33 AM

Yea you're right I got a little off topic, my bad, I'm out of it. Pettite is prolly on steroids anyway, my splendid memories of him from the late 90's is messing with my rationale thought I suppose.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't think Andy Pettite is on steriods. Hes 35 yrs old, its not like hes 42, I don't understand what hes done to have multiple people be suspicious of him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fun fact:

Number of MLB players who have testified under oath that Bonds took steroids: 0
Number of MLB players who have testified under oath that Pettite took steroids: 1
Old 11-09-2007, 09:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I don't think Andy Pettite is on steriods. Hes 35 yrs old, its not like hes 42, I don't understand what hes done to have multiple people be suspicious of him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fun fact:

Number of MLB players who have testified under oath that Pettite took steroids: 1

[/ QUOTE ]

Fun fact:
Number of people who know Barry Bonds did steroids: World Population - RedBean
Number of people who think Barry Bonds did not use steroids: RedBean
Old 11-09-2007, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fun fact:

[/ QUOTE ]

You have your facts wrong. I also owe you 50 dollars, tell me how you want it.
Old 11-09-2007, 10:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fun fact:

[/ QUOTE ]

who said pettite?
Old 11-09-2007, 10:32 AM

Gammons this morning on Mike and Mike said 100+ names on the list.