Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Play us an old song for the first time

[ QUOTE ]
here's one I never get enough of:

Julie London - Cry Me a River

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a killer recording of this song sung by Dakota Staton. In her version, she puts a huge helping of vengeful spite into her singing that no one else has. After hearing her version, all other versions sound like the girls singing it sound only sightly perturbed that their men left them and now want to come back.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

zOMG! Dixie from Emergency!

Wow, I never knew she was that good of a singer or looked that great. Excellent "old song for the first time".

--
TomE.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:51 PM

Heard that song from V for Vendetta and d/l'ed soon after, love it.
Old 10-06-2007, 07:00 PM

OK, time for me to make some submissions to this thread. I didn't want to turn this post into one where I list a few hundred jazz and blues songs no one has ever heard by artists they might have heard of, but that no one here really listens to or will listen to again. So, I decided to lob a couple hundred songs off my list and go with artists people here will know who've done songs that people definitely know, but who have some hidden gems that aren't well known unless you're into jazz and blues. I don't have links to all of these, but iTunes should be able to help you out w/ those.

When I was growing up, my parents listed to the oldies station in the car (still do), so I knew all of Aretha Franklin's songs: Respect, Chain of Fools, Rescue Me, etc. Well, at least I thought I did. It wasn't until I started getting into dancing that I discovered that there was a whole world of Aretha away from Motown. Unbeknownst to me, she was an absolute monster singing the blues, even though it was the Motown stuff that made her famous to the white audience. Hearing her do songs like Dr. Feelgood, Trouble in Mind, Nobody Knows the Way I Feel This Mornin', and Today I Sing the Blues, it was like an entirely different singer. As much as I enjoyed her Motown stuff, it was her blues that really spoke to me.

I actually had TWO rediscoveries of the Allman Brothers. When I was growing up, I'd heard Ramblin' Man and Jessica on the radio, and they were fine songs, but I didn't know much more about them, other than a reputation for sick guitar work. It wasn't until I heard Statesboro Blues, Stormy Monday, and One Way Out that I realized they had a huge catalog of blues, and that really, Jessica and Ramblin' Man were virtually the odd ones out of their music. My second rediscovery was when I accidentally put on an Allman Brothers song I didn't think I liked called Old Friend. I liked a lot of their blues, but Old Friend was in a completely different style. It's more of the extremely old Delta Blues style than the rest of their stuff. It blends acoustic and electric guitars and no other instruments, and features some absolutely sick slide guitar work. I love how you can hear the fingers of the guitar players and the steel strings snap against the body of the guitar.

The third artist I'll talk about for this rediscovery post is Ray Charles. Now, everyone knows Hit the Road Jack, and that's pretty much all I knew of Ray Charles before I started dancing. Once I did, though, I heard a number of great songs from him, including Hallelujah I Love Her So and The Night Time is the Right Time. My "rediscovery" of Ray Charles was his instrumental music. I could attribute the songs where he sings to him easily since his voice is so distinct. However, it wasn't until I asked the DJ one night when I was out dancing about a song he'd just played that I even knew Ray Charles did instrumental music. The song was Hard Times, and it was the day Ray Charles died. The DJ had played it that night to honor him. Another great instrumental song from Ray Charles that I don't have a link for is Rock House, a song which many dancers know only as "The 1-4 Song" because the horn section has strong accents on beats 1 and 4.

OK, I think that's all I'll post for now, but I reserve the right to come back and add some more.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

quote]here's one I never get enough of:

[/ QUOTE ]

Good choice.

Many of these older artists are best found on greatest hits or compilation albums. Problem is these albums vary greatly in quality. For example, I have one Billie Holiday album (Verve Silver Collection) that is absolutely great yet ranks near the bottom in sales on Amazon. Another (Forever Gold) was bought on the cheap at Fry's and still isn't worth it.

Someday let's start a CD suggestion thread for the following type of artists (feel free to add ones you think are good) from the old days (by old I mean even before my time):

Julie London
Billie Holiday
Nina Simone
Dinah Washington
Connie Francis (maybe not cool enough)
Ella Fitzgerald
Etta James
Glen Miller
Tommy and/or Jimmy Dorsey
Mary Black (may be too modern)
Nancy Wilson
Peggy Lee
Sarah Vaughn

There's some good listening from these artists.

~ Rick
Old 10-06-2007, 09:37 PM

Rick,

I'd be all over that thread.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:18 PM

I don't know much about the Allman Brothers but I absolutely love Little Martha. What a beautiful acoustic tune.

Little Martha (my favorite Allman Bros tune)
Old 10-07-2007, 12:02 AM

Rick, my your tastes are changing. All these years later and you're finally waking up! Pretty soon I'll have you listening to Blossom Dearie.

John
Old 10-07-2007, 01:10 AM

Blossom Dearie? Man, she really doesn't do it for me. I guess I don't dig her high pitched breathy voice. I tend to prefer my female jazz singers as richer altos.
Old 10-07-2007, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know much about the Allman Brothers but I absolutely love Little Martha. What a beautiful acoustic tune.

Little Martha (my favorite Allman Bros tune)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a neat little track I hadn't heard before.