Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 09:09 PM

Default Re: My MMA fight...

Your reasons for taking this fight and the entire plan blows

If you want another martial arts experience before business school (what they dont allow outside hobbies?): Join a [censored] MMA gym

So, two untrained guys (relatively; one complete one with moderate striking) are going to go at... This wont be a great fight or likely even enjoyable. I will be a wild brawl that could involve someone getting hurt since neither of you know what you're doing and how to protect yourself and since I think you'll lack trained supervision and any medical resources at all.

Taking him to the ground? 4 weeks of training in Grappling when youre fighting a heavier guy that can just lay/pray on top of you in your physical state.... bad call.

Actually this whole fight isnt even a competition its just a stupid idea and if one of you gets seriously injured, if you hyper extend him during one of your newbie submission attempts, if someone gets cut, etc. in general if someone gets hurt. You'll be sorry.

"doubt I can get to a clinch. Not enough training, and not enough reward to learn it...i think."
Terrible. Thai clinch plus knees to the midsection is a worthwhile option in almost any fight.

In short:
-Best of luck
-Hope you dont cause serious injury to each other
-You're pretty retarded for this whole plan and will realize it when it goes wrong
Old 05-31-2007, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL what's the point of fighting if you're just gonna pull this pussy [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Did I miss something else in this thread or is the above quote really stupid? If you're good on the ground and he's good on his feet, why should you fight him on your feet? How is standing up somehow brave?

SpaceAce
Old 05-31-2007, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In short:
-Best of luck
-Hope you dont cause serious injury to each other
-You're pretty retarded for this whole plan and will realize it when it goes wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very applicable. However, i think there's nothing inherently wrong with taking risks. People do it all the time just for the thrill of it, so if getting that thrill is ok with you it's ok with me. Just realize that there is a good chance somebody gets hurt.

You sound like you are training in MMA/jits right now, did I miss that? If you are, that is certainly your best strategy. I would not go for fancy submissions, because securing them in the heat of the moment is damn tough.

Instead, play a positional game. If you are getting the training, try to take him down and then control him and ground and pound. No elbows is tough, but it can still be done. If you get taken down, i would try reversals before i'd try submissions. Try to get mount or get his back and secure it, that is when the fight will be over quickly. If he just has no knowledge at all of submissions, and you find yourself being taken down, try a guillotine or kimura, those are somewhat easy to learn. Don't try an armbar bc you won't pull it off in the heat of battle with just one months training.

gl
Old 06-01-2007, 02:22 AM

Danvh - awesome avatar. I watched that fight and burst into laughter at that kick.

Plus announcer: 'No style points for that one Sean'
Old 06-01-2007, 03:49 AM

I do appreciate the concern many of you have for the safety aspects of this fight. We do not plan to permanently injure each other and doing the most we can to ensure that. WHile my friend is more careless, I dont think ill go through with the fight unless we can find a suitable ref. Accidents do happen, and they can in any physical or extreme sport.

At this point, I am pretty happy I decided to do this. Ive pushed myself to learn something new, and get back in shape. I do not think it will be THAT dangerous. and ya, i really hope neither of us gets seriously hurt.

To dannyocean,

Thanks for the replies and advice. I think its best, considering what others have said, to keep things simple. I will try to learn and become comfortable with one, probably not two, submissions in all common situations.

Guillotine is not 100%, and im messing around with the kimura right now to see where and when I can use it.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Terrible. Thai clinch plus knees to the midsection is a worthwhile option in almost any fight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Im listening. Do you think its a good idea to clinch with someone that much taller than me? Will clinching help me get to a take-down as that is my primary concern right now? I really don't know anything about clinches at this point. thanks for any info.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Im listening. Do you think its a good idea to clinch with someone that much taller than me? Will clinching help me get to a take-down as that is my primary concern right now? I really don't know anything about clinches at this point. thanks for any info.

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you have taken judo for any amount of time, no matter how short, and not be able to answer this yourself
Old 06-01-2007, 12:45 PM

This will turn into two people throwing nothing but windmill punches. One person will get hit in the jaw and go down. "MMA Fight" is over. Both of you look like retards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLBtMl6v5Tg
Old 06-01-2007, 01:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
TKD vs. MT
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sk7O8ELJD...ed&search=

Take a look at this video. The TKD doesn't even have his hands up to defend himself. If you watch carefully, the muay Thai guy beats him never even throwing a punch. an boxer would rip this guy to shreds, i can't believe somebody could literally fight a fight with hands at their waist.

Hands > Legs for striking, and its not even close. I don't understand TKD at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
if you look in the description, the guys couldn't throw punches to the face... that's why these guys never threw punches. and yeah - w/o punches to the face, this can never be construed as a real fight
Old 06-01-2007, 01:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

if you look in the description, the guys couldn't throw punches to the face... that's why these guys never threw punches. and yeah - w/o punches to the face, this can never be construed as a real fight

[/ QUOTE ]
You rarely see punches thrown in Muay Thai matches. Muay Thai fighters focus on kicks and then clinching in order to throw elbows. American and Western kickboxing is where you'll see punches thrown.