Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2007, 06:14 AM

Default Re: girls who play poker - a turn off for guys who don\'t play poker?

[ QUOTE ]
women marry more for Potential while men marry more for attractiveness

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-01-2007, 06:33 AM

poker is dirty, and the ppl who play it are dirty.
Ppl will quickly judge you.
I wouldnt be attracted to a chick that played poker. (LIke imagine she bowls or something).

Bing a poker player, I go googoo gaga for girls who play poker. I'd bang Kathy Leibert
Old 08-01-2007, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

the reason women have a natural disadvantage at poker is their lack of testicles.... a requisite for bold and aggressive no limit manuevers

[/ QUOTE ]

it works the other way. women often have an image of being tight/weak, and i've made money off of people trying to bluff me for that reason. i can also take advantage of my image and bluff those who would expect me to only be aggressive when i have a strong hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea but then you fall into the trap of being the following:
1) tight
2) callstation'y
3) not bluff'y

its a bad combination
Old 08-01-2007, 08:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
dd,

There's a fair bit of sarcasm coming through on that one. Time for new batteries in your detector.

[/ QUOTE ]

part 2 was a "joke" part 1 was serious
Old 08-01-2007, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

while ambition is a quality that women like in men, I think you are confused here. Take two men of equal age, looks, and personality. One is already a doctor but only makes 150k a year. The other is in school to be a specialized doctor that makes 300k a year,,, yet doesnt become a doctor for 3 years.

Who do girls find more attractive? The doctor they see with a money clip, or the almost-doctor with a text book?

Unless the girl is 19 and marrying her college sweetheart, its not for potential. its for provider. well provider related traits. but the point is clear
Old 08-01-2007, 12:53 PM

wow, you all are fishing in some grim ponds.

i guess b/c i grew up with a successful, independent mom (and dad but they were split), i dont view a man as a provider.
i view a potential partner, and i hope there are some other women who would agree on this, as someone to watch my back, to complement me and to have lots of fun with, among other characteristics (none of which have to do with wealth)
i guess there are a lot of gold diggers following you ballas around, and for that i feel bad for my gender.

btw, moneyclips are ghey.
Old 08-01-2007, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

while ambition is a quality that women like in men, I think you are confused here. Take two men of equal age, looks, and personality. One is already a doctor but only makes 150k a year. The other is in school to be a specialized doctor that makes 300k a year,,, yet doesnt become a doctor for 3 years.

Who do girls find more attractive? The doctor they see with a money clip, or the almost-doctor with a text book?

Unless the girl is 19 and marrying her college sweetheart, its not for potential. its for provider. well provider related traits. but the point is clear

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Plenty of people have all the "potential" they need by coming from money. And they're not exactly being hurt by it.

Being ambitious is a very abstract virtue with results that can be both very uncertain and hard to measure, and it's just a bird in the bush. Having money already is not in the least abstract, and it's a bird in the hand. It's very unlikely that a guy with more ambition but less money is on average less attractive than a guy with money and perhaps less ambition.

Plus, you can have money and be ambitious too. But I think it would be on the whole naive to claim it's the ambition that's doing the attraction.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

the reason women have a natural disadvantage at poker is their lack of testicles.... a requisite for bold and aggressive no limit manuevers

[/ QUOTE ]

HU4ROLLZ???
Old 08-01-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Plenty of people have all the "potential" they need by coming from money. And they're not exactly being hurt by it.

Being ambitious is a very abstract virtue with results that can be both very uncertain and hard to measure, and it's just a bird in the bush. Having money already is not in the least abstract, and it's a bird in the hand. It's very unlikely that a guy with more ambition but less money is on average more attractive than a guy with money and perhaps less ambition.

Plus, you can have money and be ambitious too. But I think it would be on the whole naive to claim it's the ambition that's doing the attraction.

[/ QUOTE ]

ugh fixed my own post
Old 08-01-2007, 03:53 PM

I figured out the class thing.

Historically, a man is more likely to go from rags to riches, so a man has a better chance of marrying up in class relative to his up-bringing.

As for women not being able to play NL:

For one, NL is a passive/ agressive game, a woman has a better chance of bieng good at NL than Limit with the traits Dan suggests, since Limit requires pure, uninhibited aggression at it's highest levels. I will say that if I see a random woman at a NL table, I will fear her more than a random man, and I would rather play a woman at Limit any day over NL. Percentages suggest that a man is more likely to be a donkey (due to testosterone, I guess), and nothing makes me shudder more than an all in bet from a woman, even though she usually has nice hands.

I agree with McManus when he says that NL is the great equalizer.