Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2007, 12:44 PM

Default Re: LT AP\'s MVP

UCF, please tell me you are being sarcastic.

LT=MVP, easiest choice in years. stop nitpicking, why not get rid of the MVP award and just call it QB of the year award?
Old 01-05-2007, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

LT=MVP, easiest choice in years. stop nitpicking, why not get rid of the MVP award and just call it QB of the year award?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why call it the most VALUABLE player award if you aren't going to give it to the most valuable player? You can't punish QBs because their position is more important. If you want to give him offensive player of the year or coolest statistical performance, fine, but he isn't anywhere NEAR as valuable as Peyton or any "good" QB. If you want an explanation just read back through this thread.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why call it the most VALUABLE player award if you aren't going to give it to the most valuable player? You can't punish QBs because their position is more important. If you want to give him offensive player of the year or coolest statistical performance, fine, but he isn't anywhere NEAR as valuable as Peyton or any "good" QB. If you want an explanation just read back through this thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that MVP is a misnamed award. It never has meant most valuable player and never will. So once you guys can get over that and realize that its basically just an offensive player of the year/coolest statistical performance award maybe we can stop having every football thread turn into this stupid argument.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:13 PM

thank you.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:19 PM

But isn't that the whole point?

Its fun to say "Hey, look how stupid the AP is! They voted a running back as #2 athlete of the year over a Tennis player who almost went undefeated and voted him MVP when its blatantly obvious that he wasn't actually the most VALUABLE player in the NFL."

I think MVP now = best fantasy football performer.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:26 PM

To all those who are saying LT's record is not historical because the previous record was set last year, I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that this will stand for at least 15 years.

You know, Assani is right. I love footballoutsiders and I love Manning, but it's really boring talking about football when the only argument you guys ever use is DVOA and DPAR, and then act like there's nothing else to discuss.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:40 PM

Couldn't he break it next year? He didn't play that well in the last 2 games of the year.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To all those who are saying LT's record is not historical because the previous record was set last year, I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that this will stand for at least 15 years.

You know, Assani is right. I love footballoutsiders and I love Manning, but it's really boring talking about football when the only argument you guys ever use is DVOA and DPAR, and then act like there's nothing else to discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Err, given that the record has been held by three different people over the past 6 years, I hope you aren't serious about that bet.

The assorted people complaining about how the stathead footballl guys want it to be a "Best QB" award, how would you feel about a guard winning? Or a safety? It's not like the award gets distributed evenly as it is.

If the baseball season was only 16 games long and they played once a week, would it be unfair to position players that they'd almost never deserve to win?
Old 01-05-2007, 03:04 PM

Take out Peyton Manning and replace him with, say... Jon Kitna. How many games does this team win?

Take out LT and replace him with, say... Kevan Barlow.

Who's gonna do worse, the Colts or the Chargers?

Remember Jesse Chatman? Jesse looked like a god in San Diego 3 years ago. They waive him, and he doesn't play again.

For the last 3 years, the Chargers have had 4 of the best performing backup running backs. Turner this year, Turner last year, Neal last year, and Chatman in 2003. I'm sure everyone thinks Turner is good... but Chatman? I mean, LT is tremendous, but just like Shaun Alexander last year, don't you think that he depends on that system?

On Indy it's the other way around. The system is built around Peyton Manning. That whole offense is built on Peyton changing the plays, the protection schemes, etc. He *is* the offense, and he's the single best offense in the game.

No team depends on a player more than the Colts depend on Peyton. Every year he's the best QB in the league. What more could you want?
Old 01-05-2007, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Err, given that the record has been held by three different people over the past 6 years, I hope you aren't serious about that bet.

If the baseball season was only 16 games long and they played once a week, would it be unfair to position players that they'd almost never deserve to win?

[/ QUOTE ]
I honestly don't see anyone averaging almost 2 TD's for a season anytime soon.

[ QUOTE ]
The assorted people complaining about how the stathead footballl guys want it to be a "Best QB" award, how would you feel about a guard winning? Or a safety? It's not like the award gets distributed evenly as it is.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's really silly to call it an MVP award when by your standards, someone from the same position should win every year. I think this is evidence that the criteria for the award should be something different. I'm not asking for a kicker or a guard to win, but it seems fair to propose that if someone from any of the skill positions is having an incredible statistical year compared either to his counterparts or historically, he probably deserves to win. It makes more sense to me that this would be the purpose of the award.