Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: well?
the player 54 40.91%
rotary 78 59.09%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-29-2006, 02:22 AM

Default Re: how do you think child molesters should be punished?

Say hypothetically a man rapes his 5 year old daughter. Should he still be put to death if his daughter forgives him and is against it?

-J
Old 11-29-2006, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Say hypothetically a man rapes his 5 year old daughter. Should he still be put to death if his daughter forgives him and is against it?

-J

[/ QUOTE ]

i call that love and i don't think anyone should try to stop it.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

-J

[/ QUOTE ]

First reaction is yes, but in all likelihood that would probably just cause her to suffer more, and since she was the one victimized afterall her wishes to spare his life should be honored.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
given the extremely low ( as i understand it ) rate of recovery

[/ QUOTE ]

And heater added:

[ QUOTE ]
The recidivism rate is so high that I believe they need to be given life sentences.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has been in the news in California b/c of the recent ballot initiative and most people would be surprised to know that the recidivism rate for convicted sex offenders is lower than that for the general population. It is a false piece of information that sex offenders are destined to recommit their crimes. It is also interesting to note that sex related crimes are generally on the decrease.

See myth/facts on sex offenders.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]

-J

[/ QUOTE ]

Because a 5 yr old would be able to comprehend it...

What if this enlightened 5 yr old felt the same way about her rapist that wasn't family related?

Yes, put him to death.

b
Old 11-29-2006, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pedophilia is a sickness. Committing pedophilic acts is a crime, because society has an obligation to protect children from people who are sick like this.

Government needs to take steps to prevent child molesters from repeat offenses, and the child sex offender registry is a good step in this direction. I dont think the offenders need to be unduly punished, however, they do need to be reminded that society will not tolerate this type of behavior.

-J

[/ QUOTE ]

Reminded?

Like wagging a finger at them and saying, 'Now don't you ever do this again...We MEAN it!'

Sorry, but where in society is it giving any of them the impression that tolerance for it is letting up? That they may think this is ok?

Except, of course, if it's a chick doing it to a kid. Then for some reason it changes things...

b
Old 11-29-2006, 05:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
First step would be to treat family members and strangers the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

if my dad raped a 4 year old i think i'd be able to do a pretty good job of forgetting about all the nice things he's done for me during my life up to this point. i think that at bare minimum him going to jail for 10 years and then spending the rest of his life under very strict supervision would be appropriate.

[/ QUOTE ]

if my brother killed someone i would probably try to protect him no matter the circumstances, but if i ever found out he raped someone i would beat the [censored] out of him myself and then call the girl's relatives to come beat the [censored] out of him.

so that's how i feel about child molesters
Old 11-29-2006, 05:53 AM

with regards to the 5 year old girl:

yes you still at least jail her dad for life, who the hell could do that to their own daughter and not be an awful human being?

with regards to child molesters:

i honestly think that, if rape can be proven beyond a doubt (and generally excluding things like a guy and a drunk chick [where things are necessarily going to be blurry, date rapists still get it], sex with minors depending on the circumstances, etc.), and by beyond a doubt i mean 100%, all rapists should be killed. all others should be jailed for life
Old 11-29-2006, 05:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Castration - physical or chemical: No dice. The mind is the largest sex organ.

Answer: Offender Island - way way way [censored] way out in the pacific somewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, whatever we decide to do with sexual offenders, the most important consideration is to ensure that they never have an opportunity to engage in those activities again.

Castration simply is not a viable solution. I watched a program on MSNBC where this sex offender coached 2 boys to molest each other while he watched.

Death would ensure that sexual offenders could not reoffend, and honestly, I wouldn't protest too much. But the judicial system does make mistakes, and death cannot be reversed.

So, why not some Offender Island, like Escape from New York. Once you enter, you never get to leave.

Note: Someone else posted that it is a myth that sex offenders habitually reoffend. Maybe, I don't know, but this sort of crime is so heinous that once someone crosses that line, they forfeit their status/rights as a human being, IMO.

And just judging from what I've seen on Dateline NBC's 'To Catch a Predator' (and yes, I know, it's an exploitive TV show, but I don't know any sex offenders) . . . those guys don't appear to care about anything but their obsessions. I have a feeling many of them will reoffend.

Be good,

Augie
Old 11-29-2006, 06:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't hear of too many wrongful convictions for this crime.

We are not talking accusations here - but convictions. Seems that these people often have photos or videos or other evidence that gives them away. It's not often the kids that name them - it is some other evidence or accusations by adults. Once they get named other victims come forward.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so completely wrong that I have to think the poster is just making [censored] up completely. There are tons of wrongful convictions and this is one of the biggest accusation only crimes.