Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 08:31 AM

Default Re: Good interview with Barry G

is harringon really a high limit player?
Old 07-06-2007, 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My god this guy is an ugly mofo. Looks like a monkey/an ape. I guess the Asian chicks think all the "white" guys look the same. Barry realized long ago that its +EV to go after Asian tail. Smart guy!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ban please.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-06-2007, 08:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
seems like he wants everyone to know that hes a humanitarian. Can't he talk about other [censored]?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree 100%...what an [censored] giving all that money to charity and what not. I wish he would just stop don't you agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

lololol..
Old 07-06-2007, 10:21 AM

I think Barry was referring to poker books in general, not targeted at 2+2 books as they have been around for quite a while...

His book was also different as it was not a full blown poker strategy book as he reflected upon his life quite a bit.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Ha? I'm 45.

[/ QUOTE ]

When you're 80, I'm sure you'll see things a little bit differently.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. The differences from my book and others that I was thinking about were:
Most books preach a weak-tight strategy and talk about only losing a certain number of buy-ins each session. These poker philosophies are good starting points, but I talk about how to play and how to manage sessions once you become a winning player.

2. I did this interview on a dinner break after staying up all night the previous night, playing in the side games. I saw pictures of myself from that day that looked pretty bad, so I got my beard trimmed and my girlfriend colored my hair to hide the grey. Also, my skin looks pretty bad on this video. I think it is a combination of bad lighting by them and aging by me.

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

Barry, you've got to ignore losers who say things like that, because:

1. Looks are not what life is about

2. Just because one person says it doesn't mean others agree with his opinion. For example, myself, I've never considered you to be a bad looking fellow, rather distinguished looking actually, kindof like Sean Connery. But more to the point, when I see you on TV mainly I'm thinking "Now there's a man who has his life together. A nice guy who finishes first."

3. Who knows what the guy who said this is like in person? He very well might be mentally challenged or mentally ill. Perhaps he was harshly rejected by one or many Asian women. Perhaps he is anti-Semitic. Who knows where he's coming from.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:24 PM

Yes. Hold 'em became legal in Los Angeles area in 1987. Starting in 1988, at The Bicycle Club where the biggest games were at this time, a one-half $200-$400 limit hold 'em and one-half $300-$600 ace-to-five draw lowball game took hold. This was the largest game spread everyday anywhere at this time and Dan was one of the regulars. So the answer to your question is that even though he mainly just plays the big tournaments now, he was a regular at the very highest limits for a number of years.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 07-06-2007, 02:37 PM

Mason,

I first met Ray Z at the Commerce around 1991. I followed him and always sat in his games and always put my name on lists after his. He got a little irritated and said, "Why are you always sitting down in games after I do? Do you really think I'm that bad?"

What happened was I was new to town and I was told by my friend Tom Hood that Ray never sits in a bad game, so I used him as my guide to the live ones. Ray normally played 100-200, and so did I at the time. He certainly never looked to play with top players in the biggest games. Ray was a grinder, and one of the best at that.

Dan was very careful also. Neither of them qualify as big game players, nor did they try to.

Limit was in vogue at the commerce at the time. There were a couple of weeks where the game was changed to no-limit, which was my game. None of the players could really compete with me. It was one of the rare times I saw Ray and Dan off their feet. I pretty much broke all the live ones and made the prudent ones quit.

Barry
Old 07-06-2007, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
he is certainly the player i respect most

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that my opinion matters.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What happened was I was new to town and I was told by my friend Tom Hood that Ray never sits in a bad game, so I used him as my guide to the live ones. Ray normally played 100-200, and so did I at the time. He certainly never looked to play with top players in the biggest games. Ray was a grinder, and one of the best at that.

Dan was very careful also. Neither of them qualify as big game players, nor did they try to.

Limit was in vogue at the commerce at the time. There were a couple of weeks where the game was changed to no-limit, which was my game. None of the players could really compete with me. It was one of the rare times I saw Ray and Dan off their feet. I pretty much broke all the live ones and made the prudent ones quit.

Barry

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats pretty [censored] sweet.