Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2006, 03:40 AM

Default Re: Discrepancies on \"Calling Shotgun\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Group leaves restaurant (all persons through door threshold) and shotgun is called, the call is VALID.

[/ QUOTE ]

Failure to leave the facility (restaurant in this case) in a timely manner waves your rights to be included in the group opportunity to call shotgun. In other words, you can't claim someone else's call is bogus just because you were still inside.

[/ QUOTE ]

The way we play this, is that the driver and caller are the only two that must be outside the building at the time of the call. Thus, the shotgun call is totally dependant upon when the driver exits the building, as he is the key.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed. This premise brought forth by you has lead one individual to believe that there is a driver-shotgunrider conspiracy involved, because a SG caller and a driver could certainly conspire against a third party.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If someone bigger than me were to ever punk me out of shotgun when I called it first, I would make sure they had the MOST uncomfortable ride of their life on their way to the next destination.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not usualy a dick about it depending on the crowd i'm with, but its a HUGE dick move for some 5'8 guy to have all sorts of room in shotgun while i have the back seat trying to fit my freakish large body back there by wrapping my legs around his seat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 6'1, which is not gigantic, but tall enough to understand your plight. Seriously, that guy you speak of...fulck that guy.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If someone bigger than me were to ever punk me out of shotgun when I called it first, I would make sure they had the MOST uncomfortable ride of their life on their way to the next destination.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not usualy a dick about it depending on the crowd i'm with, but its a HUGE dick move for some 5'8 guy to have all sorts of room in shotgun while i have the back seat trying to fit my freakish large body back there by wrapping my legs around his seat.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right there's certainly a fine line, but I'm 5'8 and I have buddies 6'2 and 6'3 that respect the rules of the game when we're riding in a Honda Accord.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're right there's certainly a fine line, but I'm 5'8 and I have buddies 6'2 and 6'3 that respect the rules of the game when we're riding in a Honda Accord.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm 6'8, it becomes an issue of actualy being able to fit
Old 06-28-2006, 05:36 AM

Business must be concluded before shotgun can be called. There is no time limit or distance away from the car limit. For example, you stop at a gas station and you all go in to get stuff. When you leave, you can call it again. You go to a ballgame and park way far away. You can't call it until you leave again. Time/distance not a factor.

The being in sight of the car rule is somewhat debatable due to outside events and/or a long walk to the car. However, you can't ever call it until everyone has exited the building. There can be a time limit rule where the person(s) still inside forfeit their rights to call, but it can't be something like a group of 5 leave at the same time and the first person outside calls it or something like you're all seperately purchasing stuff and therefore have to wait to leave.

The owner of the car always has shotgun if they're not driving unless they give it up. They never have to call it.

I'm not really into the whole challenge/joust/blitz thing. It kind of defeats the purpose of calling shotty in the first place. I mean, you call it completely fair then still end up having to do another competition to get shotgun? Seems retarded.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:07 AM

I can't believe someone actually had to come up with a rule to prevent racing to see the car. Villianaire, while your rule that shotgun may be called once business is concluded (signified by when the driver says something like "Let's go") is a very fair one, I've never had a group of friends who were so into Shotgun that they were constantly aware of calling it. It's almost always a realization when we're about 10 feet from the car, and someone has a Eureka "SHOTGUN!" moment at the last minute.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:15 AM

Taken from shotgunrules.com

edit - damnit, someone already linked it

[ QUOTE ]
For these rules to work properly, it is essential for you to understand and accept the concept of the "Deed". Shotgun may only be called after the "deed is done". Simply stated, the deed is any activity or objective that directly precedes the ride in the automobile. The deed can be anything ranging from a visit at a friend's house, to a shopping trip at the mall, to a visit to the Grand Canyon. We cannot stress how important this is because this establishes a Shotgun-calling time frame that ensures everyone has an equal chance of recognizing when to call Shotgun.

There is no crime greater than calling Shotgun on Monday in reference to the ride to the concert on Friday. Some people choose to play this way, and they are fools.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The best way to establish exactly when the deed is done is to define this moment as the instance that you have left the building in which the deed took place. All passengers need not to have exited, but someone must hear you call Shotgun.

Some people choose to use a variation of this rule and require that all occupants be out of the building before Shotgun can be called. This does not work. It leads to everyone calling Shotgun at the same time and often ends in physical violence.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

If the deed takes place outdoors, which it often does, the completion of the deed must be agreed upon when Shotgun is called. Any major disputes over the completion of the deed, as with any discrepancy, can be easily settled with a quick round of Rock, Paper, Scissors.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-28-2006, 10:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On Ultimate trips in college, we used to just call "Not Bitch!". ("Bitch" was the seat in the middle-back.)

However, if there were six people riding, it was crucial to cut straight to "Not Super-bitch". (Especially if the car was an automatic.)
-Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahaha awesome.

"Shotgun" gets taken to a new level when you have 5 people and no one wants middle back.

"Shotgun."
"Door."
"Door."
"[censored]!"
Old 06-28-2006, 10:52 AM

I haven't seen this important corollary mentioned anywhere on any sites:

IF the girlfriend of the owner or any other player is riding in the car all rules of shotgun are completely subject to the probability of WITHERING GAZE. WITHERING GAZE supersedes and eliminates all, even the word "shotgun" from the vocabulary... DO NOT try to outsmart WITHERING GAZE by murmuring or singing the lyrics to “Shoop” … resistance is futile. WITHERING GAZE sits wherever it wants.
Old 06-28-2006, 11:15 AM

Not trying to hijack, just wanted to share a weird “shotgun” story from my youth...

Me and about 6 buddies were riding in my buddies' wood-paneled Ford Granada station wagon, think it was an 82'. Yeah, we rolled in style. We lived in a small town where the cops were often bored. So one of my friend's had to use the payphone (cell phones were non-existent at this time). We pull over, he uses the phone, and a few of us get out for a smoke. A cop car drives by and sees a bunch of 16-17 year old kids hanging around a payphone at night, and they decide to pull over and bother us. They check all of our IDs. When they realized we had no warrants or anything, it seemed like the situation was over. But then as we were getting ready to get back into the car, a couple of us called “shotgun” to get dibs on the front seat - this was standard. Next thing I hear is a cop saying “oh, there's a shotgun? Everybody out of the car”. They then proceeded to search the entire car. I was pissed. I knew that the cops knew the what “shotgun” meant, as far as claiming the front seat - they just wanted an excuse to search the car.

Sorry to interupt the thread, the topic just reminded me of this somewhat surreal story.