Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2007, 06:07 PM

Default Re: TV in the Lounge, Fall 07 Edition

Tonight, directly before Curb Your Enthusasm (woot!), is the new HBO series Tell Me You Love Me. It follows the relationships of 3 couples seeing the same therapist. There has been quite a bit of buzz in the press already due to the show having the most explicit sex scenes ever seen on TV. I've read some good reviews and will be checking out the opener. It will be interesting to see the public reaction to this one.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:03 PM

Tune in to HBO, Loungers -

Tell Me You Love Me is starting right now (EST)! CYE up next at 10:00.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:05 PM

Sounds like a chick flick.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:12 PM

btw is anyone besides me looking forward to new Dexter?
Old 09-09-2007, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
MrWookie,

The premise for Pushing Daisies seems gimmicky and more suited to be a 12-issue comic book miniseries, but I'll give the first few episodes a chance on the DVR. If it sucks, I'll let Aloysius fall on the sword for that. In general though, his level of taste is high.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha... thanks I guess [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I've actually only seen the pilot for Pushing Daisies, have not gotten a chance to view other episodes. But in the many years I've been a part of pilot seasons, this screening received one of the best responses I've seen, almost uniformly praised as "amazing".

The premise is very high concept and seems gimmicky, but it's executed brilliantly... the acting is very good and the writing is very above average for a network one-hour.

Also Barry Sonnenfeld directed the pilot, and is slated to direct future episodes. The look of the world he creates is really captivating (think Edward Scissorhands-esque).

So I would definitely recommend watching the premiere, and seeing if it's something you'd enjoy and want to stick with.

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw the pilot and was thoroughly charmed and delighted. Of course, that means it won't last 4 episodes. No way that it attracts and keeps an audience.

Bionic Woman and The Sarah Connor chronicles had impressive pilots. I've heard that Bionic Woman is being reworked, so who knows. The SC chronicles felt like a real production. Special note of Summer Glau for firefly fans.

Saw a bunch of other pilots (chuck, reaper, etc) and none looked like keepers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've also seen the pilot and don't know why they wouldn't make this a movie rather than a TV show. It is too bizarre to last long on network TV and will quickly be hated when the gimmick wears off.
Old 09-09-2007, 09:26 PM

The best new show of the Season is "Life". It is a police drama with some comedy and a unique performance from the lead star, Damian Lewis.

http://www.nbc.com/Life/video/#cat=new

It has a lousy title though and don't know how long the premise can last.

Another winner is the new sitcom with Kelsey Grammar and Patricia Heaton called "Back to You." http://www.fox.com/backtoyou/
It's an old formula, but the leads and supporting cast (Fred Willard) are excellent and can carry the show.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uh...yeah I don't think so.

That's the most sex I've ever seen on any TV show ever. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Whoa.

For about the first 10 minutes I had my doubts. I'm not really into shows about couples having problems. But it gets pretty pretty pretty good. Like REALLY good. Anyone who enjoys watching graphic sex may just want to check this one out.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

uh...yeah I don't think so.

That's the most sex I've ever seen on any TV show ever. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] Whoa.

For about the first 10 minutes I had my doubts. I'm not really into shows about couples having problems. But it gets pretty pretty pretty good. Like REALLY good. Anyone who enjoys watching graphic sex may just want to check this one out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vouch!!!

p.s. katy - good to see you too!
Old 09-10-2007, 08:39 AM

Sarahbellum, what did you think of the show? Do you think it has potential for some good drama or do you think it will be just about the sex?

For those of you who didn't catch it, Tell Me You Love Me follows the lives of 3 couples who are all seeing the same therapist. I don't know if it's a chick flick or not, but it does show relationships from both the male and female perspective.

There are 2 husbands who are tired of their wives pressuring them for sex (one wife is trying to get pregnant and the other one is feeling abandoned). Then there's the young guy who lets it slip that he doubts his own ability to be monogamous for his entire life. I think the show does a great job at presenting realistic male characters who are quite likeable.
(i could have done without the jerking scene, however [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img])
Old 09-10-2007, 10:22 AM

I didn't watch it due to NFL, but given that its HBO I will at least be checking it out.

This season I am looking forward to:

1. NFL
2. Lost
3. Heroes
4. The Office
5. Friday Night Lights
6. 30 Rock