Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2007, 03:27 PM

Default Re: 2 Basketball question

I love these threads. It's so fun to talk [censored] about women's hoops.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:28 PM

You guys are forgetting the WNBA AllStars' mastery of fundamentals. There's no way they don't crush most college teams.
<font color="white">leveled</font>
Old 08-03-2007, 03:43 PM

taraz - I agree that size isn't everything.
Just mentioning the size stuff because people are doubting that there are mens teams that are THAT small and the one poster who had played on a bad team mentioned that even THEY had 6-8 and 6-5 guys.

So I'm just finding really lousy teams that at least don't have the significant size advantage being mentioned (although i failed to find a team where the tallest guy was 6-1 as my memory seemed to be playing tricks on me about that one)

The Emmaus team went winless the whole season against other bad teams, has no size advantage on the women, and obviously aren't the best hoops players around.

Emmaus had only 10 players on their team.
My hunch is that if I went to Emmaus College I would be welcomed onto the basketball team with open-arms and would probably get some minutes there as long as I tried really hard even though I'm only 5'6" and truly suck.

If this is the kind of team where even a guy like me could have gotten some minutes then I think they would lose to a WNBA team...and possibly by double-digits.

The guys on this team probably wouldn't be THAT exceptionally fast compared to the very best of the women's players would they?
I know there are differences between the genders and all. But this a truly lousy hoops team that loses to every single other bible college in their region by 20 or more points usually. And we're talking about the very best and very fastest and most skilled of the womens players.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:45 PM

I was a mediocre high school basketball player at a small school. I wouldn't be able to cut it at a D-III school, no way.

I attended Northeastern University, and I'd go to the gym to play pick up games all the time. While I was there, there wasa also Northeastern's best female basketball player ever - Tesha Tinsley. She set school records in points, assists, steals, etc. She was a 3 time All-Conference player (small conference, obviously, America East but they're D1). She never made the WNBA, but she got a lot of tryouts, I believe. So, obviously she's not WNBA level, but she's a good female basketball player.

I would absolutely destroy her in pick-up games. I had 7 inches on her, I was faster than her, stronger than her. She couldn't get a shot off, and couldn't stop me from taking her off the dribble or posting up. It'd be like me trying to play against an athletic 6'8 guy. I'd have no chance.

So if I'm not good enough for D3, but I can destroy a 3 time all conference D-1 female basketball player, I have no problem thinking that D3 guys would beat WNBA teams.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:56 PM

Okay, starting another mini-chain here.

Dallas Christian wins 116-65 over Nebraska Christian.

Nebraska Christian has 8 players on their team, tallest are 6-5 and 6-4. They are accepting apps for the head-coaching position on their website btw.

Nebraska Christian beat some team called NCTA 97-70.

I discovered that NCTA is Nebraska College of Technical Arts and they have a kick-ass Rodeo Team as well as a Livestock judging team. Don't know much about that.
They play a couple of 'club teams' on their schedule including the Eastern Wyoming Club team and a few others but I can't find any scores for them.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was a mediocre high school basketball player at a small school. I wouldn't be able to cut it at a D-III school, no way.

I attended Northeastern University, and I'd go to the gym to play pick up games all the time. While I was there, there wasa also Northeastern's best female basketball player ever - Tesha Tinsley. She set school records in points, assists, steals, etc. She was a 3 time All-Conference player (small conference, obviously, America East but they're D1). She never made the WNBA, but she got a lot of tryouts, I believe. So, obviously she's not WNBA level, but she's a good female basketball player.

I would absolutely destroy her in pick-up games. I had 7 inches on her, I was faster than her, stronger than her. She couldn't get a shot off, and couldn't stop me from taking her off the dribble or posting up. It'd be like me trying to play against an athletic 6'8 guy. I'd have no chance.

So if I'm not good enough for D3, but I can destroy a 3 time all conference D-1 female basketball player, I have no problem thinking that D3 guys would beat WNBA teams.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the best post of this thread.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
by extension I'm guessing you believe you could be pretty competitive in the WNBA if you could own this girl who was almost good enough to make it.

Looks like I was potentially way in the wrong on this.
But I'm still seeing some of these winless with only 8 players small colleges like Emmaus College and thinking there are SOME truly bad college teams that could lose to a WNBA team.

But I had to go much deeper and much lower than I had initially thought to find an organized group of guys who I thought MIGHT be able to lose.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:04 PM

While I think this is a decent observation I can't help but wonder how bad most America's East caliber teams do against bigger womens college programs.

We had some 20 win seasons with Miami (Ohio) womens basketball when I worked with them. They were a good team and had some pretty good womens players who were insanely dedicated.
But when they would play a top 10 or top 20 team like a Vandy or UNC with a 6-7 center and speedy guards it simply wouldn't be close.
Miami had zero chance to compete really and the difference was obvious.

There is still a significant difference between being a really good mid-major team/player as opposed to the higher caliber talent of the major conferences.

But your point is still a reasonably valid one I believe.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:09 PM

Also Bob, I really don't think it would matter if the women were all 6'4" or 6'5" or whatever and the guys all under 6'1". Lisa Leslie is the only woman over 6'3" I've ever seen who looked like she could walk and chew gum at the same time, and I don't think women get proportionately stronger as they get taller. I'm pretty confident my 6-foot self could push just about any tall woman out of the post without much effort.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Remember Adam Morrison and J.J. Reddick ?
Everyone was thinking these guys would come in and do great.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL anyone that thought that is mentally handicapped and should probably be locked in a cage for their own safety.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:16 PM

Well, Michael Jordan did draft Adam Morrison.